• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes angle vs straight

syme71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2005
New Jersey, Exit 10 on Turnpike
I'm about to buy my first spotting scope. Haven't really used one before. What would be better, an angled or straight eyepiece? I figured this would be the first and last spotting scope I'll nt ever buy so want to get it right. I was leaning towards an angled eyepiece as it seems more versatile from different positions.

Re: angle vs straight

Angled for prone, if you are shooting alone and looking through the scope yourself.
Straight if you are spotting/scoring and need to switch target to target.
Straight also lets you watch "both eyes open" to catch wind changes if you are in mirage-less conditions.
I was spotter for the HP range for the TPRC09 match and we tried to use my angled scope working up to the match. There was no way I could have transitioned target to target as fast as the shooters.

Like any tool, you just need the right one for the job.

most people will recommend angled for a variety of purposes: prone, digiscoping, sharing with different height people,etc.

Depends what you are using it for. An angled eyepiece is great for sheep hunting or for prone on a static range... A straight eyepiece is better for spotting or engaging multiple targets... sobrbiker883 pretty much nailed it on the head in my opinion. Right tool for the right job.

Depends on <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> position when you're using it. The purpose of the angle/straight option is to permit the scope to be used with less bending of <span style="font-style: italic">your</span> neck.

So whichever achieves that goal more easily for you is the better choice.

My answer would be <span style="font-style: italic">both</span>, to maximize my options.

Greg

I like straight because it just seems more intuitive to me to look straight at something (finding the object in the scope over a large magnification is hard enough).

Angle because it is more adaptable to the positions you will be using it in real world scenarios.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwp475</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Angled and don't look back </div></div>

Straight, and don't look down....

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angle because it is more adaptable to the positions you will be using it in real world scenarios. </div></div>

As I stated, if you are spotting yourself (looking at your target after your shot while in position, or checking mirage at your target before your shot).
If finding targets or spotting for someone else (esp if engaging multiple targets) straight may do you better.

If for yourself from prone or off the bench at fixed targets, angled will do very well.