• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Angled Bases and Clip Ons?

shoobe01

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2005
Mission, KS
www.donttouchme.com
I have been shooting a clipon night vision sight screwed to the front of my objective bell for a while now, and it works great as far as lack of POI shift, etc.

But I am (already ordered, so very soon!) upgrading to a new stock system, which includes a forward mount to clip my clipon onto properly, more easily, and without the strain on the scope.

However, I wonder about one thing and cannot find a bit of info with my searching so far:

I have a 20 moa base on the scope. But the clipon base has no tilt, and it seems none do (e.g. the EFR doesn't come in 0, 20, 30 moa versions).

Does that mean it doesn't matter? Or, will I simply start seeing a (hopefully repeatable) vertical POI shift, and I'll just have to dial it in (or hold off) when I change between day and night?

It depends.
For clipons wiith REAL GOOD collimating lens, it won't matter.
For clipons without REAL GOOD collimating lens, it will matter.

I did manage to get a long straight metal (rectangular) stick and put a little bit of cant on my chassis NV mount to "poor man" align with the 20 MOA mount. But Both of my clilpons have REAL GOOD collimating lens, so I didn't notice any POI/POA shift either way.

We have had discussions about this topic on this sub-forum previously, even in the past year, so those discussions do exist.

==
You do want to get those optical centers lined up as much as possible. The collimating lens can work a certain amount of magic and then it can't, but I've had low cost clipons where the collimating lens couldn't do much and I've had higher cost clipons where the collimating lens can overcome lack of alignment.

It depends.

I will look harder, see if I can find more with better searching.

And I'll test shoot to see if my alignment so far is luck or the reason is I have the good sort of lenses. If not, I was also thinking of doing some math and careful measuring, and trying to shim the back of the base before I tighten it down. It is good to hear others had the same thought though.

Thanks!

The height of center of your rings also matters. You might have to change your rings. You want to get the center height of you rings close to the center height of the clipon.
So for example, for me, my clipons are 1.31 center and 1.5 center. I happen to know the 1.31 center works with zero POI shift between 1.3 and 1.4 center rings and I happen to know that the 1.5 center clipon works with 1.5 to 1.3 center rings. So intersecting that data, I need rings between 1.3 and 1.4.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I am looking forward to that one also but at least I understand that off the bat.

Hoping it is close or dead on, but expecting to have to change rings (or base) to get it aligned properly as well.

image.jpg