• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angled foregrip, any opinions?

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with magpul's angled foregrip. Any and all input is welcome, im looking for a new foregrip and was just going to get a stubby vertical but then i happened upon this...

Re: Angled foregrip, any opinions?

I use one on my work rifle, the nice thing about it is when your just carrying the gun at the low ready it creates a nice little shelf for the rifle to rest in your off hand. I like it because with a traditional foregrip I keep my hand kind of half on half off. Only downside is if you have a tac-light on your weap it make it slightly difficult IE the only way to have the light accessable is to have to on the left side but if you do that you cant use the grip as intened so you are pretty much forced to use the light on the right side with a pressure pad, Also on a m4 length hand guard it takes up all but one of the bottom rails. Hope this helps

I love mine. Mine is on a 16"mid-lengthwith a 12" DD Lite-Rail system so it lets me reach alittle farther out for more stability. It also does not hang down like a vertical grip to get hung up on my Tac Gear. Also I like the choke grip you can get on the forend. So guys like that grip and some don't but it works well for me and make a more stable shooting platform. Again this is me and it might not work well for some people. Just my thoughts.

After seeing Angled Fore Grips on people's AR's that they posted pics of, can you please provide an opinion on them and/or a review.

i guess for the price i might as well give it a try... i had the same concern as you though van. well see what sort of workaround i can do.

I've had one on my work rifle for awhile now and it is coming off. It's not that I don't care for it, I just can't get used to it. I've used a magwell hold for the past 10 years and while I utilize the Magpul AFG properly in training I revert back to my magwell hold at game time. Going to the AFG meant I had to change the location of the pressure switch for my light and when I go back to the magwell hold it is then out of reach.

Old dog new tricks thing I guess. I'll be putting it up for sale as soon as I get off my ass and take it off of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had one on my work rifle for awhile now and it is coming off. It's not that I don't care for it, I just can't get used to it. I've used a magwell hold for the past 10 years and while I utilize the Magpul AFG properly in training I revert back to my magwell hold at game time. Going to the AFG meant I had to change the location of the pressure switch for my light and when I go back to the magwell hold it is then out of reach.

Old dog new tricks thing I guess. I'll be putting it up for sale as soon as I get off my ass and take it off of the rifle. </div></div>
I was going to get one of these to try it out, if you wish to sell it let me know. You are over your PM limit.

I used to always use the magwell hold, but after a few lights and a suppressor it gets a bit sloppy, like trying to move a brick with a toothpick.

Bought it, love it. I'll be getting side mounted lights, easy thumb activation.

Upgraded__700_and_AR_by_GlockGuy.jpg

Try it. Practice with it. If you can operate better with it after doing the first two, keep it.

What kind of shooting/applications were you planning on using it for? Hunting, 3-gun, target shooting, just to try it?

Personally I feel better with my thumb almost coming over the top of the rail, or sometimes wrapped around the top when shooting multiple target drills. Just know that your front hand should be used for controlling exactly where your front sight post goes (your aiming hand). Your firing hand should be shouldering the rifle and holding it in place against your shoulder, while the front hand will help to aim and reacquire targets. Suffice to say that if the angled foregrip gives you better control of the rifle, it's what you should use.

I thought that I would love it because of the way that I've ran an AR with a VFG but, when I put an AFG on a carbine, I found out that I absolutely despised it. Didn't fit me AT ALL. Right back to Brownells it went.

I tried it and it did nothing for me. I think it should be used on a handguard longer than a carbine length handguard. I tried Magpul's VRG grip and love it.

I have to say that when I first looked at them I thought WTF they are just trying to bleed more money out of me.... I spent the next few months seeing more and more people use them, I had to figure out what the hype was, so I spent the $30.

I have had mine for a 6 months and I can say its not for everyone, If you have spent years using a regular for-grip get ready to learn all over again.

I however love mine and would never go back... It allows me to get on target quicker, stops me from swinging the front of the rifle too far and I can hold the muzzle steady on target for a longer periods of time with out getting the shakes. I think this is due to the fact it feels like more of a natural position.

Again not for everyone but for the price its worth seeing if it improves your shooting.

I just wish they would fill in the hole near the back as I have childish tendencies to put my fingers in it... some day I will get my finger stuck when I need it the most.

web.jpg

the only reason i don't have one is because i have to put pushbuttons all over my guns and those don't allow it, then because i have vertical at work i have vertical at home so there is no diference in my guns. otherwise i like em.

I tried on on my 9mm sbr but I preferred my cheap CAA VFG over it. It wasn't bad, just not comfortable for me. I may pick one up on my next full size gun build and give it a real trial. It is an interesting idea.

I am 6'2" and when I first tried it on my carbine with carbine length rails and it was useless and hurt my wrist. I changed out the forearm to a Troy rifle length 13" and I moved the AFG out and I can say that I love the grip and the ability to point faster and have less wobble. I to used to use the mag well but not any more, just changed my training.

I will also say that since I have changed my light to the Streamlight TLR1s (strobe) I run it on the off side (I am a left handed shooter) and my right hand fingers hit it perfectly to use the strobe or constant on. The light is mounted on the left so it is out of my line of sight for better vision. This is not possible with a standard flashlight style, I am not a fan of pressure switches that go off when you are trying to sneak up on some one or go over a fence or up a ladder etc... I have used the old TLR1 on my duty pistol for about 4 years (still using it) and it is awesome, the new one is even brighter and has the strobe in a very small package with enough light throw for a CQB rifle.

IMG00067-20100615-2312.jpg

IMG00065-20100615-2312.jpg

IMG00069-20100615-2358.jpg

I have an AFG and like it, but think that it is very individual. For me the angle places my support hand so that I pull the foregrip and rifle back for a more stable position. It also naturally points in low ready position. AFG gives me a more solid grip and the rifle, and holds more comfortably. Vertical forgrip for me has a more unnatural feel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AFG and like it, but think that it is very individual. For me the angle places my support hand so that I pull the foregrip and rifle back for a more stable position. <span style="color: #FF0000">It also naturally points in low ready position.</span> AFG gives me a more solid grip and the rifle, and holds more comfortably. Vertical forgrip for me has a more unnatural feel. </div></div>

At the ground? I dont care if a gun "naturally points" at the low ready ... at the low ready I am not shooting anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an AFG and like it, but think that it is very individual. For me the angle places my support hand so that I pull the foregrip and rifle back for a more stable position. <span style="color: #FF0000">It also naturally points in low ready position.</span> AFG gives me a more solid grip and the rifle, and holds more comfortably. Vertical forgrip for me has a more unnatural feel. </div></div>

At the ground? I dont care if a gun "naturally points" at the low ready ... at the low ready I am not shooting anything. </div></div>

What I mean is that when relaxed with arms down, not shooting, with a AFG, my rifle can be held in a very comfortable position.

Of course any gun can be pointed where you aim it.