• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Angled or Straight

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
Just wondering what the pro's and con's are for each type of spotter, for range work and spotting strike at long range ect.

I currently have a couple of straight bodied spotters I use for stalking, and I find the straight eyepeice design quick and instinctive to use.

However having borrowed a spotter with an angled eyepeice, when shooting from a bench or prone in the field, and trying to spot my own hits, the angled eyepeice design seems easier to use, especially if the spotter has a rotating tripod collar.

Actually finding the target with an angled spotter does seem less instinctive and it does take longer, but I am not sure thats a major consideration for range work.

I also appreciate that an angled spotter has other advantages, ie it can usually be set up lower and there is less likely to be a need to re-adjust the tripod if more than one person is sharing the spotter.

So my question is why do so many people here seem prefer spotters with straight eyepeices?

Is it "just what they are used to" (I think I am in that boat at present) or are there definate advantages?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: Angled or Straight

I dont have any "Data" or serious reasons why I prefer a straight spotter.

The main reason is that 8 out of 10 times I use my spotter I an in the prone and it is just easier and simplier.

I just find using an angled spotter in the prone to be a pain.

Pete,

Your's is a good question. My thoughts are: Mostly seated or standing use = Angled. Mostly Prone or General Hunting/Field use : Straight....

Bob

Thanks guys...

With regards shooting prone using an angled spotter, can I ask if you tried one with a fixed tripod mount or one with the tripod mount on a rotating collar?

I ask because with the (very)limited testing I've done, a rotating collar makes an angled spotter a far easier to use in a variety of positions when compared to an angled spotter which has a fixed tripod mount.

Regards,

Peter

Your right about the angled spotter with a rotating collar (ie Manfrotto) It definitly makes things easier.

Im still a fan of straight spotter, but i always use a rotating collar or ball joint.

depends on what you are using it for

I have a straight

I works better for attaching the spotter to the driver side window when spotting for coyotes

Pete
I find angled to be much easier to use in most situations. My spotter, Pentax, has a rotating collar and the biggest problem is finding your intended target. But practicing with birds (moving objects) you will become familiar with how to use it. I usually zoom out to 20x for a greater field of view, then zoom in once acquired.
I don't use my spotter on a window mount, but if I were I would think it would be much easier with the rotating collar as you wouldn't have to square up to the eyepiece, shifting your upper body to a straight on view.
Also a straight spotter would require a tripod column to extend several more inches if standing up. Making for more movement, unless of course you invest heavily in a stellar tripod.
Just some points to consider. I'm used to my angled spotter, so I may be subjective in view, but I do believe there are more positives with it than straight.

Angled is the way most prone match shooters, including myself, use scopes. They are easy to adjust so that one does not have excessive head movement to peek through.

I position my scope so that I only have to move my face no more than three inches or so to look through at conditions or whatever. Most of the larger scopes have a slip ring that allows the rotating of the body. They also have a tightening screw that locks it in place at the desired location.

They should find a way to build a spotter with an eye piece that quickly rotates into either a straight position or an angled one to suit all possible situations. Seems to me it would be just the cat ass.

Anyway I use straight spotter for my needs.

I recently purchased a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 angled spotting scope. One of the features it has is a rotating mounting collar that allows you to turn and lock the angled eyepiece through any amount of rotation to one side that you desire. I find setting it at 90 degrees to one side most useful for shooting prone. If shooting from a bench, just turn it back to the normal angled position. It's not exactly the same as going from angled to straight, but it serves the same purpose.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-20-60x85-angled-spotting-scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering what the pro's and con's are for each type of spotter, for range work and spotting strike at long range ect.</div></div>
Peter, from reading your comments it seems that you have already surmised pretty much what I have learned from personal experience. However, since you mentioned <span style="font-style: italic">"range work and spotting strike at long range ect"</span> I'll point-out that the tripods of angled spotters can be set-up lower to the ground and are inherently more stable. Greater tripod stability means less shake and better image detail & resolution, enhancing the ability to see trace and bullet impact. Mirage aside, the farther away the target is (and the higher the magnification) the more important stabilty is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I currently have a couple of straight bodied spotters I use for stalking, and I find the straight eyepeice design quick and instinctive to use.</div></div>
While the index mark on the barrel of the spotter is used to line-up the target, straight spotters are still more instinctive to use because the spotter's eyepiece is in-line with the target rather than at a 45-degree offset. Looking "down" into an angled spotter's eyepiece feels somewhat akward, while the eyepiece of a straight spotter feels more natural.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However having borrowed a spotter with an angled eyepeice, when shooting from a bench or prone in the field, and trying to spot my own hits, the angled eyepeice design seems easier to use, especially if the spotter has a rotating tripod collar.</div></div>
Yes - as long as an angled spotter has a rotating collar, angled spotters are easier and more comfortable to use while prone because the spotter can be orientated very low so that the shooter justs turns his or her head slightly to the side for viewing through the spotter. The shooter/observer can orient the spotter so that he or she is looking down or from the side without craning his or her neck. This means extended observation without neck strain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually finding the target with an angled spotter does seem less instinctive and it does take longer, but I am not sure thats a major consideration for range work.</div></div>
As I stated above, while the index mark on the barrel of the spotter is used to line-up the target, straight spotters are still more instinctive to use because the spotter's eyepiece is in-line with the target rather at a 45-degree offset. But as you said, <span style="font-style: italic">"I am not sure thats a major consideration for range work."</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also appreciate that an angled spotter has other advantages, ie it can usually be set up lower and there is less likely to be a need to re-adjust the tripod if more than one person is sharing the spotter.

So my question is why do so many people here seem prefer spotters with straight eyepeices?

Is it "just what they are used to" (I think I am in that boat at present) or are there definate advantages?

Thanks in advance,

Peter </div></div>
I think that it is largely what people are used to using as well as personal preference. Some posters in this thread have posted that straight spotters are easier-to-use prone than angled spotters - I don't know what their experience is with what equipment, but this is definitely where personal preference comes into play. I used straight spotters for about thirty (30) years, then tried-out an angled model. Even though I was used to using straight spotters I find angled spotters are definitely more prone-friendly. Below are some photos of my Zeiss Diascope 65T FL mounted on my Gitzo GT1550T Traveller tripod. You can see how versatile the combination is, and in the photos I didn't even use use the Diascope 65T's rotating collar.

The Gitzo is probably overkill for most people, but I only have one tripod which serves photographic, video, and spotting scope uses so I went high-end. My next upgrade will be a RRS BH-30 Head. If you're looking for a tripod, short of a Gitzo, I would get a carbon fiber Manfrotto tripod and a Manfrotto Head. The Manfrottos' aren't as light or as compact as the Gitzo Travellers' and they have a larger footprint when used prone, but a Manfrotto setup will typically cost a LOT less and do almost the same things. I would look at the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Manfrotto 190CXPRO3</span></span> (three section legs) or <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Manfrotto 190CXPRO4</span></span> (four section legs) and the head of your choice. You can use them sitting, standing, or prone.

And, <span style="font-style: italic">"you're welcome".</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller w/G2285MB Adapter & Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T. Center Column removed for prone use:</span></span>
GT1550TwFoamLALRA8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLALFA8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLALRA45Degree8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLALFA45Degree8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The Gitzo GT1550T Traveller w/G2285MB Adapter & Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T work equally well for left-handed shooters:</span></span>
GT1550TwFoamLEFTYLARRA45Degree8x6.jpg

GT1550TwFoamLEFTYLARFA45Degree8x6.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Gitzo GT1550T Traveller w/G2285MB Adapter & Angled Zeiss Diascope 65T. Center Column raised for seated use:</span></span>
GT1550TwFoamSittingRRA8x6.jpg

Keith

I am running the same scope that aries64 is running and I find angled to be WAY more comfortable, especially if you spend long periods spotting i.e. elk hunting and laying in the prone looking at bulls in the distance.