• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angled Red Dot Mounting Experiences?

Mike_Honcho

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2007
What are the pros and cons to mounting to the primary optic tube like the LaRue 787, vs off the 3 or the 9?

Is one more shootable? Less snaggy? A smarter way to do it? Is there a 3rd way that is the best?

TIA

a 45 degree puts it at about 1:30 position. right handed I want it on the right side to be able to roll slightly to utilize.

I have always just shot by index, but I thinking I might try it. After thinking more about it - mounting anywhere but the scope tube seems smarter - esp if it gets dropped or bumped hard.

Thank you

This is the nicest offset optic mount I've seen to date. Robust, well made, offers adjustment and plates for pretty much every optic. Since this video was made they also added taller plates for 1.93 mounted optics as well.

@Mike_Honcho

good video on youtube by garandman with a couple serious dudes (one is Frank’s twin) who talk about this.
they like to run at a 45 on R side of rifle in conjunction with LPVO

You may recall a review Frank did years ago of this with the Leupold MK6 3-18 and an Aimpoint micro or T2? DAGR or something.

Anyway, plan was to mount Aimpoint above the tube for troops.
Frank said it took no time to decide to adjust and drop it down into dang near the position of a 45 degree offset on the right. cheek weld sucked and was a shit weapon profile IIRC

@lowlight - do you have a good filing system and can bring this up via link?