• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing brass, change of POI?

john_1182

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2009
australia, victoria
I have had my first attempt at annealing my .308 brass (batch of 50) and today I was at 100 yards testing if annealing may have changed anything.

I noticed a .2 mil shift to 9 o’clock compared to the un-annealed brass , the groups were shot within a few moments of each other making sure wind temp ect were the same.

So the question is can annealing change the POI like this? If so is there anything else I should look out for?

Note : Neck tension, powder, all brass neck sized, ect ect between the annealed and non-annealed brass (from the same batch of 100, I’m about to anneal the last 50 in the next day or two)

Also I have noticed when seating the projectiles into the annealed brass that it felt approximately 3>4 times easer to seat then the un-annealed brass with one firing less (4 firings un-annealed, 5 firings for annealed brass ).

Re: Annealing brass, change of POI?

Wouldnt the fact that it was harder to seat the bullets in unannealed brass mean that brass had more neck tension?

Neck tension would be my answer.

Annealing does not add any random inconsistent spreads if thats what your thinking.

Id also imagine that it is a different neck tension. But as Vman said, it wont cause any inconsistencies. If anything it will become more consistent when all the necks are equally annealed.

one of the biggest reasons to anneal is to Remove Inconsistency. The other big reason is to greatly extend brass life.

Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Annealing </div></div>
properly done,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does not add any random inconsistent spreads if thats what your thinking. </div></div>

thanks everyone, ive got the answers i was after..

i was measuring neck tention and coming up with .006 tention, but as said about the differance of soft vs hard brass will effect things.

all my brass has been annealed now, so a quick re zero will solve the POi differances