• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing equipment?

snajpr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2012
United States
I see there are a number of products out there to use when annealing brass cases.
The drill/socket set-up, which obviously would be the easiest and cheapest. I also see an interesting unit called an Anneal-Ritel where you flip the cases out of a jig after they reach temp. There are a bunch of auto units, but I'm not totally sure the volume of brass I do would warrant the investment.

Does anyone have any other products I should look at?

Re: Annealing equipment?

Well the auto units will be the most precise and do the best most consistent job, hence there price, so use the drill socket method until funds become available for a auto unit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snajpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any other products I should look at? </div></div>

Don't spend your money on something you'll use three times a year - send them to me.
I'll decap 'em, clean 'em with SS media and anneal 'em for .10cents a case.

Read: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3510214&page=1

To answer the original question, the unit from Bench-Source is superb.

I have the Giraud and have been extremely happy with it. Set up is fast and caliber changes (the wheels to feed the cases) are a snap.

Propane torch. Fingers. Towel. Rotate the case in the flame until it turns color. Just aim the flame at the neck/shoulder junction. Drop it on the towel. If it gets too hot you'll drop it just in time. Worked for me for 30+ years until I made an old socket that fit my electric screwdriver mate with a short piece of electric conduit. Now I spin and drop. Once you take the heat off it won't continue down to soften the base, no matter what others tell you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CEGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Giraud and have been extremely happy with it. Set up is fast and caliber changes (the wheels to feed the cases) are a snap. </div></div>

X2, I love the Giraud and it is definitely easy just like their case trimmers.

I have one of the gas torch based machines (2 torches actually), but I am waiting patiently for an induction machine to get finalized and released. They are close, but not ready for prime time. No open flame; no fuel to buy or monitor. That will be the cat's ass, even if it is fairly expensive.

Jeffvn