• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing in the oven?

Kinsman

Slacker
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2006
Dallas, Georgia
I am fireforming 303 Brit to 410 shotshell. To do this, I have to anneal at least 2/3 of the case. Using a propane torch is time consuming. I can accept annealing the entire case, head and all, because of the low pressures I will be working with. Will a typical electric oven get hot enough to anneal the brass?

Really? Head and all?

I am fireforming 303 Brit to 410 shotshell. To do this, I have to anneal at least 2/3 of the case. Using a propane torch is time consuming. I can accept annealing the entire case, head and all, because of the low pressures I will be working with. Will a typical electric oven get hot enough to anneal the brass?

Duh, yeah.

410 2 1/2 " shot shell gives about 12,500 psi. 303 Brit is about 40 -50 k psi.

Loading these for a derringer, play time loads, so pressure will be even lower than SAAMI.

I really just want opinion on oven temp being high enough.

Last edited:
I would think the time spent properly annealing the few cases you use would be well worth the peace of mind you'd get every time you pulled that trigger.

You might accept "annealing the entire case, head and all", your cases may not, when put under pressure.

I've used .45 Colt cases in my .410 derringer for play. Don't know if that would work in your application.

Please let us know how it works out.