• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing machines

lightman

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 18, 2009
England, ar
Has anyone bought one yet?If so,what kind?What do you like/dislike about it?Your thoughts are welcome.
I just finished processing a large batch of cases that I bought new and fired for the first time.Several had split necks,looks like QC is getting very lax.Am thinking about getting set up to anneal. Thanks for your replies, Pete

Re: Annealing machines

I haven't bought one yet. But I have narrowed it down to Ken Light's machine. I just haven't pulled the trigger on sending the money. Its like $400+ if I remember. I'm kinda hoping someone comes out with something similar for less money. That or build my own.

I have no experience with the Ken Light machine..but I recently bought the new machine from Bench-source.com. It is easy to use, indexes and rotates cases automatically, has excellent control of heating time from 1-10 seconds in .25 second intervals, and setup only takes a few minutes from 223 to 338 lapua. Best of all, unlike other machines, the plate that comes with the machine works for all cases..no need to buy anything else.
works with one or two torches also..handy in case you run outta gas in one tank.

Wonder why the secrecy of the price. I shot them an email about it. Looks nice.

I bought one of the first production run of 50. I think the are working up a price for the full production run. I paid around 350 bucks if I remember right, and when i spoke with them on the phone they said the price might go up some but not much but like I said earlier, you wont need to buy any other adapters for any other brass cases..

I like the control of the machine, the .25 second intervals is nice, really allows nice precision, and the machine indexes and rotates the cases in the flame for even neck heating. I did 700 308 cases inside of an episode of "survivorman" once I set it up..

I was just advised that mine would ship today from Bench source, I paid $500.

Thanks for the replys,everybody.The Ken Light machine looks good,but so does the Ballistic Edge machine.Anyone else feel free to comment.I'm gonna buy one,just not sure which one. Pete

A guy who was using a mini inductor to anneal is attempting to manufacture an affordable induction annealer right now. Not sure how far along he is in his progress, but it does sound promising. Believe it or not, Redding had an induction annealer on the drawing board, but sidelined it. They were concerned about the tech support and servicing they would have to provide for the electronics. Imagine that though; a Redding annealer. I think everyone on this entire website would be tripping over themselves to own one. I know I would.

The ken light works really well and I like the looks if it the best
of all the machines.

For now, I have been annealing by hand. I hold a case in my hand and twirl it in either 1 or 2 blow torches and then drop it on a wet rag. I can get about 5 cases a minute done this way. I gotta say that I really like the ballistic edge machines though, especially the 400. Nice and low profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tacmed1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just advised that mine would ship today from Bench source, I paid $500. </div></div>

About how long did it take from order placement to order shipment? I really like the looks and controls of this system as well as the lack of additional plates for bigger cartridges. I have some friends who like to use my goodies and I will probably end up letting them use the annealer as long as they provide the torches. I made them buy their own shell holder and complete trimmer setup for my Giraud trimmer so I didn't have to setup the trimmer for my stuff all the time.

vdub,
Almost exactly 3 months. Very nice folks and it seems to be a quality product. The torches you can get at Home D in a small kit for around $11. each and refills are about 4 bucks. I believe that if you are working with BMG .50 he will have a specific holder for that cal. All others work with the one it comes with.

The Giraud is the bomb...

Contemplating on pulling the trigger on either a ballistic edge model 400 or a Bench Source Vertex.

As with all things in this hobby theres always areas of higher priority, so investing this much into a machine that will only see occasional use has left me contemplating its worth...

But then again im a gadget loving sort of person and owning one will more than likely eventually happen

I have brought a bench source machine.
The packaging was good when it came in the mail.
The manual is well written.
I have had no need to ring up to check anything.
I heard Dave from bench source say to ring anytime if i needed to check any thing.
It took about 15 minutes to set for the first time.
Now it takes about 5 minutes for each caliber.
I put a sharpie mark on the axis of the burners so you can adjust the height from the side and top pretty fast.
I have been taking my time to set it up.
I have done from 222 to 375 H&H and 338 LM cases.
I heard Dave from bench source say that one of his customers has got 5000 cases out of one set of bottles. I have been using 2 bottles at the same time. I managed to get a special on the gas bottles at the hardware shop they were 20% extra size for the same price.
So far I have done 6200 cases.
The results are 100% repeatable.
It has improved the standard of ammunition I make.
I noticed that it takes different times for different brands of cases.
I heard Dave say "that after a short while you will run out of cases". I had my doubts about that statement at the time. What my experience is that after about a month my buddies are running out of cases to do on the bench source.
They bring their own gas bottles and I think they have done about 10,000 between them.
The only thing I have done to the machine is clean and wax the table after about each 4000 cases which takes about 5 minutes.
It is the real deal and worth the money.
All my buddies that have seen it work say the same thing.
"I did not believe what you were telling me on the phone.
I WANT ONE."
I am not sure about how to load pics this link is accurate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXzARG5Qz0

BTM54, thanks for the write up. It looks like it is well made. Of all the machines I've seen on the net, I like this one the best. I'll be getting one if the stock market starts to perform better.
myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTM54, thanks for the write up. It looks like it is well made. Of all the machines I've seen on the net, I like this one the best. I'll be getting one if the stock market starts to perform better.
myerfire </div></div>
The way the case spins when the burners are heating it is awesome. You will not be disappointed.
BTW I do not have a vested interest in bench source.