• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing made perfect meltdown

Sincerd

Drone
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2019
Freestate
I bought this amp and amp mate. It was working great. Had it running over in the corner and this happened. Case some how came loose from shell holder. Burnt the case up worse then aztec analysis mode and basically destroyed the inner protective plastic.

This really sucks! Plastic melted down into the ceramic bowl.

Now that I think of it, I don't really know why plastic is anywhere near the heating source. I am hoping they take care of it. Preferably send replacement parts and ill do it myself. I just sent him an email tonight. What do you think?

20221105_192142.jpg

I think you should give the manufacturer a chance to make things right before shitting on him publicly.

That’s assuming it’s due to a manufacturing/design defect and not a fuck up on your part.
Where did I shit on anyone? Simply by starting a thread about a malfunction? Assuming it's not my fuck up? Did you even read the OP?

old.jpg

:)

Last edited:
I bought this amp and amp mate. It was working great. Had it running over in the corner and this happened. Case some how came loose from shell holder. Burnt the case up worse then aztec analysis mode and basically destroyed the inner protective plastic.

This really sucks! Plastic melted down into the ceramic bowl.

Now that I think of it, I don't really know why plastic is anywhere near the heating source. I am hoping they take care of it. Preferably send replacement parts and ill do it myself. I just sent him an email tonight. What do you think?

View attachment 7992404
Are you saying the white part that holds the shellholder came loose and melted in the ceramic area?

I'm genuinely curious since an AMP pilot would prevent any plastic from entering the ceramic area.

For those unfamiliar with the AMP and AmpMate, here is the process:

Are you saying the white part that holds the shellholder came loose and melted in the ceramic area?

I'm genuinely curious since an AMP pilot would prevent any plastic from entering the ceramic area.

No, I'm saying somehow the case fell out of the shell holder down through the pilot into the heating element which i assume is ceramic. Rim of the case looks fine, although burnt. My guess would be that case wasent fully inserted into shell holder. The melted plastic is part of the chamber, which surprised me for something in close proximity to the heat source. Right above that ceramic bowl, the part you see melted, is all made of plastic.

No, I'm saying somehow the case fell out of the shell holder down through the pilot into the heating element which i assume is ceramic. Rim of the case looks fine, although burnt. My guess would be that case wasent fully inserted into shell holder. The melted plastic is part of the chamber, which surprised me for something in close proximity to the heat source. Right above that ceramic bowl, the part you see melted, is all made of plastic.
Interesting.

Interested to see what AMP says, let us know.

Interesting.

Interested to see what AMP says, let us know.
Will do. The polar opposite of shitting on a company. If they handle the situation well, I always make sure to let people know. Just wondered if anyone had seen something like that. The odds have to be crazy high.

If it happened to someone else, I'd have assumed they dropped a case in the chamber and forgot about it but I was on case 2000+ and hadn't touched it in hours. I was also using the redding ez feeds they recommend.

Last edited:
I guess I always looked at that AMP Mate and thought ... "Do I really need to spend that much money for something that will save me 'maybe' an hour a month?" Plus, I find it kind of therapeutic loading my own brass into my AMP ... but that's just me. Keep us in the loop ... would like to know how this resolves.

This is the plastic inside. Looks like polycarbonate. You can't use metal for that part (not easily); you have to use something nonconductive. It's part of the coil setup... they have a litz wire coil around a (probably iron?) flux concentrator.

png.php

I watched that for way longer than I should have. Thanks for posting it.

Am always amazed at the people on here that constantly come out on the defense of companies or manufacturers. It is always assumed that you are shit posting when you are just asking the community a legitimate question or concern, I see it all the time.

Am always amazed at the people on here that constantly come out on the defense of companies or manufacturers. It is always assumed that you are shit posting when you are just asking the community a legitimate question or concern, I see it all the time.
It's definitely an issue. I can understand it somewhat with all the new people and bad information. But as always, stuff breaks. It's how they deal with it after that makes the company.

While my experience with AMP service is almost three years old, I hope it is illustrative.

I bought my AMP annealer during a 2019 Black Friday sale. My unit was DOA - wouldn't boot. I emailed AMP. Fifteen minutes later, Alex was on phone from NZ. He quickly determined the thing was indeed dead, and I had a replacement two days later, along with a shipping label for the defective one.

A few weeks later, I emailed a question. Again, I had a response in less than an hour.

Three years and many thousands of annealed cases later, it still makes the onerous task of brass prep a little easier.

I dont think I have any need for an annealer, but thats the coolest thing I've seen in a long time. I now think my reloading room is incomplete without it.

Reactions: secondofangle2
That looks cool as hell.

As far as people thinking he's shitting on the company, how many actually read the post and comprehended what he asked?

Just like posting an ad somewhere. You can put all the relevant information in there, and someone will ask a question that could have been answered if they had just read the fucking post.

Very nice. Are you going to keep using the mate? I'd be gun-shy personally

I worked in a metal forging factory in maintenance. We had numerous designs of induction heaters. The style shown we used for heating the ends of rods to make bolt heads. Up to 1 1/4" diameter rods. We used a ceramic and portland cement mix to shield the chamber. We ran well water through the coils to keep them from melting down. We would have to rebuild these about once every two months depending on the operator of the press.

These need some kind of shielding other than plastic.