• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Annealing troubles?

sailhertoo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2006
Florida
After I annealed my brass Im noticeing it is way more effort to seat a bullit, at least for the first time. Have not had a chanch to try seating after the first firing after annealing.

Any thoughts? Have you experienced this?

Re: Annealing troubles?

It's normal. During the process you burned out/off the powder fouling that provided the lubrication for the next loading. Next time try a dry lube like molly or graphite in the case neck prior to loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like you got it to much and hardened the brass.... </div></div>

I don't think that can happen. It will only get softer until it gets too soft and is dangerous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's normal. During the process you burned out/off the powder fouling that provided the lubrication for the next loading. Next time try a dry lube like molly or graphite in the case neck prior to loading. </div></div>

Thanks, your the second person to tell me the exact same thing. And it does make sense. I'll try some graphite in them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will only get softer until it gets too soft and is dangerous. </div></div>

+1 Brass softens with heat. That is why you keep the heat up by the neck and don't let it go too low on the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's normal. During the process you burned out/off the powder fouling that provided the lubrication for the next loading. Next time try a dry lube like molly or graphite in the case neck prior to loading. </div></div>

+1 I've seen the same thing happen when guys switch to an ultrasonic cleaner that does a super cleaning job on the necks.

I polish the inside of the necks with fine steel wool on a bore brush with a drill whether I anneal or not. With consistently clean brass, it is always easier to seat after annealing. Annealing is a meticulous process. Don't over anneal your brass.

TC

Can you elaborate more on your annealing process?

Cleaning the necks ( IMO) is a must after annealing, there is a oxide that is formed that can increase bullet pull quite a bit. the dry lub after address that also. Running a brush with 4/0 steel wool before reloading even when not following annealing goes a long way producing uniform reloads, with out going all bench rest crazy. Bullet pull and run out ( shooting necks with carbon vs non carbon influiences run out, are improved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sailhertoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds like you got it to much and hardened the brass.... </div></div>

I don't think that can happen. It will only get softer until it gets too soft and is dangerous.</div></div>

...a couple of beers will make it hard again....