• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

annealing with tempilaq paint

Distance shooter

Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
California
I have some 750 ,650 and 450 degree paint that I have to anneal my cases with, but in testing the tempilaq I have noticed that the paint turns to a dark orange color and then black instead of turning clear when the proper temp is reached. I even put the paint down low on a case for a test to see if it would ever turn clear, but all it did was turn to the dark orange and then black as the temp rose. I then destroyed the case. I was wandering if anyone else using the temilaq paint is experiencing the same or does anyone have any insight as to using the paint. Thanks. DS

Re: annealing with tempilaq paint

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wandering if anyone else using the temilaq paint is experiencing the same or does anyone have any insight as to using the paint.</div></div>

I had same problem. So here's what I did. In my case I was using a 308 case.

Make sure the inside of the case from about 25mm down from the top is very clean, use a brush, new case or whatever.

Then apply the the orange tempilaq paint the width of the bush inside the case about 35mm down from the top.

Heat the case shoulder to where you think it should be heat wise and position wise. Let it cool.

Then with a die grinder go about 25mm from the top of the case and cut it. You can then easily see tempilaq paint in relationship to the shoulder.

On case the orange first showed up at about 13mm to 15mm from the top of the neck measure down. In other words the paint above that point burned off and was black.

Re: annealing with tempilaq paint

There are youtube videos out there explaining how to use Tempilaq paint and how to adjust your annealer just right....