• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Annealing

rogue308

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2009
TX
I know this subject has been beat to death around here but bear with me guys. I'm dealing with a huge contradiction from what I've been seeing in some videos on YouTube and reading on the net. I understand that I want the brass to heat to the point that it just starts to change color and blue a little bit below the shoulder. The problem is that if the body near the head is too hot to touch then you have applied too much heat (right)? When I get the brass to the right color the head is too hot to touch but when I heat it up to the point I can't hold it anymore then quench, I see no color change at all and assume I'm under annealing. I'm using a drill and a regular torch if that helps. Heated until color change is about 10 seconds. Heated until not comfortable to touch is about 6-7 seconds.

I know that tempilaq is the quick easy fix and I have some ordered but I'm trying to get the brass done before this weekend. Thanks for the help guys.

Re: Annealing

The above is a good read if you haven't read it yet.

The answer to your question is more heat for a shorter duration like in the video below.

Also note there is not a need to quench so you can go straight to loading instead of having to wait for them to dry.

The best way for me is to have all the lights turned off. remove it from the heat when it starts to glow. You don't want to wait unit it's cherry red.

If you read the link above you'll know that any "glow" is too far. You don't even want the flame to turn orange, like in this video.

It’s a very fine balance that is why it is best done by machine.

Look at it this way there are not a lot of people making rifles or brass by hand these days. Look at the rifle smith thread where the guy builds a Damascus double in the smithing forum, even with all of it’s beauty and work, it shoots around an inch at 50 yards.

If you are not doing it right you would be better off just buying brass as you need it.

jmorris, not annealing is not the answer the OP is looking for.

rogue308,I too have realised that every person that anneals tends to have a different method.

Some go by color change, some use tempilar paste, some look for glows, some only direct the flame at the neck, some at the shoulder etc etc.

I have annealed brass according to Hornady instruction using tempil pastes and have had very little in the way of color change occur.

Just incase you never noticed this thread... might have some more info for you

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2085074#Post2085074

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jmorris, not annealing is not the answer the OP is looking for.
</div></div>

This is obvious. I also answered his question instead of posting a link to some other question. My comment still stands, if you don’t do it right you are better off not doing it. I posted two videos as well, one that is correct another that is too much.