• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ANNEALLING QUESTION

afv338

anthony
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
pa
i bit the bullet and bought a amp annealer all has went well very nice machine, my question is do they anneal all new brass. i have a bunch of new hornaday 6.5 gap i bought and with other brass its really easy to tell if its annealed this hornaday does not look like its been done.

New brass is annealed. Some manufacturers polish off the anneal line.

Don’t anneal new brass. It is annealed at the factory, several times throughout the drawing process. It will go at least 10 reloads before needing to be annealed. At that point you’ll prolly lose cases due to primer pocket enlargement and/or head separation.

I do just so I know that it is all at the same baseline of how it will be treated by me and hopefully react for the rest of its life span.

Every chart Ive seen, from the short time duration charts to the hour long oven duration charts all show that the temp is what continues to soften it. Im sure there is some further grain effect but I think it is minimal enough to not be a concern.

Last edited:
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE THIS HORNADAY BRASS IS THE FIRST I HAVE SEEN THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HASN'T BEEN ANNEALED.

LAPUA, FEDERAL, NOSLER, WINCHESTER, NORMA, 918V THATS ABOUT ALL I USE AND I CAN TELL ITS BEEN ANNEALED FROM THE FACTORY.

This is taken from AMPs part 3 article:

A note on virgin brass: If virgin cases are loaded straight out of the box without any sizing, the neck hardness after bullet seating and fire forming, at least in our test rifles, is on average only +15 HV above virgin – not a lot. Surprisingly we have found that these cases tend to under-anneal on the first reloading cycle. It is only after cases have been sized at least once that consistent annealed neck hardness will be achieved reload to reload. This is due to the level of "stored energy” which sizing creates.
Therefore, reloaders should either:
directly load virgin cases and not anneal until the second reloading cycle,
or simply run virgin cases through a neck die with expander before starting the first load. This will pre-harden the cases sufficiently to ensure the first and every subsequent anneal gives repeatable results.

LAPUA, FEDERAL, NOSLER, WINCHESTER, NORMA, 918V THATS ABOUT ALL I USE AND I CAN TELL ITS BEEN ANNEALED FROM THE FACTORY.

You can tell Federal is annealed from the factory but Hornady isn’t?

Lol!

yes 918v the hornaday brass i have you cannot tell or i would not have asked it looks like it has no annealing rings and looks like it just came out of a tumbler with a high shine where you cannot see any lines or color change at all.