• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

annual maintenance program for police dept. needed

LongArm

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
Like the title says I am looking for policy/s.o.p. for my department. We are trying to start a annual maintenance program for our patrol (AR15) rifles. I can verify my employment if needed. In I do not want to reinvent the wheel. There are a lot of dept's already doing this. If someone here could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
LongArm

I guess the first question is are all the rifles the same make make and model? Then is there an Armourer for the dept? Also is log book kept of how many round are shot out of each rifle? Are these rifles used for training as well as duty work? Also is the duty ammo the same as training ammo for those rifles?

Last edited:
The rifles are 80% city owned but not all the same manufacturer. They are however all AR15's. There are about 5 armorers in the dept. Of those only the range master and myself actually come into contact with the firearms. The others are assigned to different duties.

There has never been a round count kept on anything, which I found very odd and dumb.
The rifles have been repaired when they fail, if they fail. A very risky plan when operators/civilians lives are at stake.
The rifles have been in service for approx 10 years which would put the round count at around 30k to 60k rounds through them with little to no maintenance. Crazy isn't it.

I guess the first question is are all the rifles the same make make and model? Then is there an Armourer for the dept? Also is log book kept of how many round are shot out of each rifle? Are these rifles used for training as well as duty work? Also is the duty ammo the same as training ammo for those rifles?

Oh my... I can't seem to find the Maintenance schedule for parts replacement off hand. I found part of it on the internet. My suggestion would be inspect each rifle, tear each one down (Check the receivers for cracks and wear) check the barrels, head space, throat erosion , then replace all the parts listed below. Start keeping logs for round count and repair / cleanings after the parts are replaced and make sure officers know how to clean and lube their duty rifles. Then function check after rebuilds and cleanings. I would also replace old worn mags as USGI mags were meant to be thrown away in battle. I would contact LMT and see about getting a parts package for the dept.

Every 10 thousand rounds, replace*:

[ ] Disconnector

[ ] Extractor

[ ] Extractor spring and insert

[ ] FCG springs

[ ] Firing Pin

Every 15 thousand rounds, replace:

[ ] Bolt

[ ] Action Spring

Every 20 thousand rounds** replace:

[ ] Barrel

[ ] Gas tube

The rifles are 80% city owned but not all the same manufacturer. They are however all AR15's. There are about 5 armorers in the dept. Of those only the range master and myself actually come into contact with the firearms. The others are assigned to different duties.

There has never been a round count kept on anything, which I found very odd and dumb.
The rifles have been repaired when they fail, if they fail. A very risky plan when operators/civilians lives are at stake.
The rifles have been in service for approx 10 years which would put the round count at around 30k to 60k rounds through them with little to no maintenance. Crazy isn't it.

Back when I put together an agency ammunition/personally-owned weapons policy recommendations I simply asked every major agency for their policy or practices. I got a lot of good responses--hopefully a phone call to the training unit at the agency will get what you need.

You might have good luck with TTPOA and NTOA for contacts or information. Manufacturer armorer instructors should be available to you. Mike Heath/Colt is a hell of a reference, and last I heard he still lives in TX. I have some NTOA info around here somewhere--if I find it I'll PM you.

You might even be able to contact Dean Caputo for some good info.