• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another “Not snipery, but vintage” thread

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    My dad recently sent me home with this little 22 short rifle that belonged to my grandfather. The date code says it was produced in June of 22. This puts it within the first year of production of the model 24. Oddly (to me anyway), the stock looks beat to hell, but the finish of the metal parts is near 100%.

Aside- Based on the stories I’ve heard passed around my uncles, I have every confidence this little rifle has accounted for more deer harvested than any 10 rifles in the “field craft forum.” (For perspective, Texas had only 45 Game Warden in 1923, for the entire state; up from 6 in 1919. And, the Game commission, as late as 1962, controlled hunting and fishing in a mere 129 of 254 counties in the state…)

Anyway, the Remington Model 24 is a semiauto takedown rifle chambered in 22 short. Depress a tab near the ejection port, twist the barrel/handguard 90deg, and the gun splits into two packable sections. A set of interrupted threads holds the barrel into the action, and a knurled nut on the barrel controls the lockup of the barrel to the action. It has a coned breach, so no dry firing. The sights are… fine. Very forward thinking for the time (I suppose, maybe not), the rifle ejects down, making it lefty friendly.

I haven’t shot it yet, but hope to get out with it as soon as I get my hands on some appropriate ammunition. My research says the model 241 superseded the 24, in part, as it was a stronger action better suited to higher pressure loads.

One of my strongest memories of my grampa is him sitting in the kitchen of his house, loading this rifle through the loading port in the stock. I thought that was the coolest thing.

IMG_5776.jpeg

IMG_5777.jpeg

IMG_5778.jpeg

Very cool little rifle. Clearly based on the Browning SA22.

Post an update when you've shot it.

If you can't find it anywhere else.......

I hate walmart but they almost always have 22 short on the shelf. At least around here

Have you checked to see if it has been reamed to 22LR? A lot of those older guns have been swapped to shoot 22LR.

Here in central La my LGS has it on the shelf as well, right now. Probably going to be another dry spell coming due to the manufactured "shortages" and price increases.