• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Another 10mm, Or Should I Go .40 S&W???

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
To begin, I've only owned 1 - 40 S&W, and that was at a time in my life when I didn't care anything for it, so I sold it. Now, I'm a more seasoned collector, and have broadened my horizons due to collecting, shooting, etc ...

My question is this ...

I own a total of 5 - 10mm pistols right now, and am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't step into the '40 S&W Arena'. I have buddies that rave about the 40 S&W, but I only have limited experience with them over 10 years ago, for a brief period.

What to do????
confused.gif

The wife thinks I should broaden my horizons and go 40 S&W. Here is what I'm tossing around in my head, both positive and negative.

1) I already have 40 S&W dies and bullets due to reloading 10mm.

2) It's another caliber to load.

3) I really like the 40 S&W ballistics on paper, BUT I already have several 10mm pistols that kick the 40 S&W's butt!

4) Better than a 9mm. I'd rather carry a fully loaded 40 S&W than a 9mm any day.

5) Several companies offer some very nice pistols in .40 S&W, whereas, the 10mm isn't even an offering. ie: S&W M&P 40, Ruger SR40, Beretta 96A1, etc ...

So ... what are your solutions, both pro and con, to my conundrum?

Thanks for the input, and sorry for the rant.

Re: Another 10mm, Or Should I Go .40 S&W???

Forced to carry every day at work and I don't see the love affair with it. The recoil impulse is not great in terms of driving the gun fast; I would describe it as "jumpy". I consistently can pick up and shoot the same gun (m&p,glock) in .45 and run the gun with noticeable increases in speed. I would say the .45 is much more of a direct push back into the web of my hand than the muzzle flip I associate with the .40. Of course, when I drop the 9mm barrel in my m&p, its night and day but you didn't ask about that.

May I ask what you want to do with it? It sounds like you're loading your stuff anyway so I am guessing it is not an ammo cost issue. If it is stopping power you seek, you're going backwards if we are talking full spec 10mm as opposed to FBI spec 10mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forced to carry every day at work and I don't see the love affair with it. The recoil impulse is not great in terms of driving the gun fast; I would describe it as "jumpy". I consistently can pick up and shoot the same gun (m&p,glock) in .45 and run the gun with noticeable increases in speed. I would say the .45 is much more of a direct push back into the web of my hand than the muzzle flip I associate with the .40. Of course, when I drop the 9mm barrel in my m&p, its night and day but you didn't ask about that.

May I ask what you want to do with it? It sounds like you're loading your stuff anyway so I am guessing it is not an ammo cost issue. If it is stopping power you seek, you're going backwards if we are talking full spec 10mm as opposed to FBI spec 10mm. </div></div>

I'm mainly interested in broadening my collection. I have quite a few 9mm, 10mm, 45 ACP, and other various cartridge pistols, but I don't have any 40 S&Ws!

I think it's more of a curiosity with me. I'm not trying to shoot Major Power Factor or anything like that at my local club, nor am I in it to carry it every day.

For me, it's kind of like the .357 SIG. I have never really had a use for it, so I never even looked at it. However, curiosity has peaked my interest, and I'm now wondering if I should get one. After all, you have to admit that the 40 S&W tends to be either a 'Love it or Hate it' type situation with many shooters. There are shooters that swear by it, and others that curse it.

Keep the opinions coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10 </div></div>

????

Talking about bumping your post count!
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

For me, it's kind of like the .357 SIG. I have never really had a use for it, so I never even looked at it. However, curiosity has peaked my interest, and I'm now wondering if I should get one. After all, you have to admit that the 40 S&W tends to be either a 'Love it or Hate it' type situation with many shooters. There are shooters that swear by it, and others that curse it.

</div></div>

I wanted both a 40 and a 357 Sig awhile back so I bought a Glock 22 (40S&W) and a factory Glock 357 Sig barrel (for a Glock 31). so essentially I have both. You can probably do the same with Sig pistols and some of the others, but I'd make sure the barrels are truly drop in if you went down that road.

If I may be allowed to offer my opinion. Pretty much everybody here is a firearms collector. If you have the money for it and its something you want and it doesn't stop you from buying other firearms that you want then get it. You can always sell it. Figure its about $50 to rent a handgun at range (gun, range time, targets etc...) If you sell it you'll probably lose about $50-$100 on it. Buying it will at least allow you to have it for a weeks, months a year etc... If anything go rent one first to see if it feels the same way it did before. If it did then theres a reason why you sold it.

40 cal is fun to shoot, get one or get a .40 barrel for one of your 10mm if you have a glock 20 or 1911 in 10MM of course.

If it is just out of curiosity, buy what you can afford and be happy with it. As has been stated before in this thread, you are not likely to lose mass amounts of money on what you buy, especially if you buy used. I doubt the .40 offers anything to your current collection except the variety, but that is the great thing about curiosity-it doesn't have to offer anything practical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

I wanted both a 40 and a 357 Sig awhile back so I bought a Glock 22 (40S&W) and a factory Glock 357 Sig barrel (for a Glock 31). so essentially I have both. You can probably do the same with Sig pistols and some of the others, but I'd make sure the barrels are truly drop in if you went down that road. </div></div>

Definitely a good way to go. .40 is much cheaper for the range but .357 sig is a great EDC. All you need is a barrel change, case width is the same (for the majority) so it uses the same mags, just swap barrels and ammo and that's it!

I do it with my Sig 229 as well. FYI.

If you go 10mm, check out HPR ammo. Their website has specs, but you can use ammoseek.com to find the best price. All new components, brass cased 180 grain flying at around 1400 fps, for around $27 a box of 50.

I use my 10mm as my going out in the desert gun, if I get jumped by any animal, I am not worried.

My only 40S&W is a sig 226, which my wife loves to shoot, she hates my 10mm. I was really against getting the 40, no real reason just, gah another caliber, really? But I can't really tell a difference between it and the 9 in performance IN MY HANDS, I mean the 40 doesn't seem to kick much more and I can get hits on target quickly. It appears to be this somewhat perfect harmony...

I like the 40 and hope to get more. So get more!

Especially since you have the reloading equipment, it's a great excuse to buy some firearms!

There's nothing wrong with a .40, although I've always been a 10mm guy. The .40 doesn't do anything that the 10mm doesn't do better other than fit in 9mm size guns. The cost advantage to a .40 is moot if you're handloading anyway. If you just wanna broaden your horizons, then get yourself a .40 and enjoy. From a collector's stand point though they really aren't making any more 10's other than Glocks, so any you find will probably not lose value. .40's are a dime a dozen, although for good reason with so many people carrying concealed.

If you really just want another caliber and don't necessarily need a new gun you could look into aftermarket barrels in a bunch of different calibers, especially Glocks. I'm thinking of picking up a 9x25 Dillon barrel for my G20, now there's a cool niche cartridge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...The cost advantage to a .40 is moot if you're handloading anyway...</div></div>

Respectfully disagree.

10mm's are known for launching spent brass into the next zipcode, and it's expensive, and you just about NEVER luck into a nice lot of range pickup 10mm.

Conversely, if you go to the local indoor range and spend a bit policing non-reloaders brass, you can generally come home with 1000+ pcs of 40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">40 cal is fun to shoot, get one or get a .40 barrel for one of your 10mm if you have a glock 20 or 1911 in 10MM of course. </div></div>

This was my thought.

If you have either of the Glock 10mms (I have both), just pick up one of the aftermarket tubes in .40S&W and skip the cost of adding another gun to the collection, unless that's the point - that you want another gun, not just the capacity to shoot .40 ammo from an existing 10mm platform.

I have an old Federal Arms stock-length .40 barrel for the G20 that I bought many years back, for like $60. Dropped in the G20, it shoots .40 ammo better than about any .40-pistol I've handled.

For my G29, I picked up a LWD "match-grade" .40 tube, also stock-length, and it too dropped right in and shot very well, actually to the same point of aim with the fixed Trijicons as my full power 10mm reloads & factory ammo (DT, BB).

CIMG1418.jpg

cool.gif

just get a 40sw, 357sig and 9x25 conversion barrel for your glock 10s if you have em....pretty sure you can get those conversion barrels for 1911 platforms as well

1400 out of a 180 ? i think not. maybe 1250...unless they changed something. I've only seen 1400 from hand loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShortRangeSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go 10mm, check out HPR ammo. Their website has specs, but you can use ammoseek.com to find the best price. All new components, brass cased 180 grain flying at around 1400 fps, for around $27 a box of 50. </div></div>

not to mention wally world has federal 180 gr FMJ for 24 bucks for 100 rounds. But since the OP handloads, not necessary.

I thought I had all the 10mms I needed ...until Nighthawk introduced their 10mm long slide 1911.

Well I have had a few .40's and I have sold them all I will buy one shoot about a 1000 rounds through it and wonder why I bought it than sell it 6 months or so later I will buy another's one. I just sold my .40 witness last week. So I don't realy know what my deal is with the . 40 what can I never realy be satisfied with it ? I have had a sig that I sold after 200 rounds.. a block that I sold After 1000 rounds than another sig than the witness witch was the cheapest of them all but the most accurate and the most fun to shoot. I'm probably not much help I would say buy it and when and if you get tired of it sell it or trade it

get a p229 .40 cal and get a .357sig barrel both rounds are great and p229 is a great gun. Enjoy.

How about an SW 10mm revolver?

Handles 10mm and 40...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about an SW 10mm revolver?

Handles 10mm and 40... </div></div>

... and runs about 1 large, at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about an SW 10mm revolver?

... and runs about 1 large, at least. </div></div>

So?

1. They're awesome
2. The OP didn't specify a budget
3. They're awesome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about an SW 10mm revolver?

... and runs about 1 large, at least. </div></div>

So?

1. They're awesome
2. The OP didn't specify a budget
3. They're awesome </div></div>

And they're still 1 large ... just being cautionary. Handguns like that are like pretty girls: they're expensive up front, and they have expensive habits down the line. I'd hate to see someone with a beer pocket get their heart broken by "Champagne."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1400 out of a 180 ? i think not. maybe 1250...unless they changed something. I've only seen 1400 from hand loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShortRangeSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go 10mm, check out HPR ammo. Their website has specs, but you can use ammoseek.com to find the best price. All new components, brass cased 180 grain flying at around 1400 fps, for around $27 a box of 50. </div></div> </div></div>

They claim 1356. I shot one box before I got rid of my 10mm. I did not chrono them but they were hot.

After several days of hanging around gunshops and handling 1 at the range, I'm still on the fence.
laugh.gif

I might just bite the bullet and get something this weekend like an M&P 40. Shoot it for awhile, and see how I like it. If I don't like it I know a guy who will grab it up from me just because he loves the 40 S&W.

Then again, a Like New Dan Wesson RZ-10 just came available to me from a private sale. What to do?!?

I come to it from a different aspect. I use my tinfoil hat persona and what about shtf....

What ammo in the US is the most prolific? Rifle.... .223/5.66 hands down.. think of all the stock piles of mil/police/civvie in the US

When it comes to handgun its a bit different, mil=9mm police=40s&w, then 9mm, then 45acp...

I run both a glock 35(40) with an extra 9mm barrel and an several XD's (of course I have xds in 9, 40, and 45 plus the 5" tactical versions... I love XD's :0)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RyeDaddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...The cost advantage to a .40 is moot if you're handloading anyway...</div></div>

Respectfully disagree.

10mm's are known for launching spent brass into the next zipcode, and it's expensive, and you just about NEVER luck into a nice lot of range pickup 10mm.

Conversely, if you go to the local indoor range and spend a bit policing non-reloaders brass, you can generally come home with 1000+ pcs of 40. </div></div>

Valid point. We rebuilt a conservation dept range this summer. The first day there before we started tearing up stuff I picked up over 600 pieces of 40 S&W, didn't see one 10mm.

40 is a decent caliber and nice to shoot. I wouldn't shy from it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbm10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">45 acp
</div></div>

That would be my thought. 1911 type you don't already have, or hk .45 or FN .45. Just preference, I just never saw the need for .40 when I've got .45acp & 9mm.

Course you could get a wheel gun, .44 spl or mag, .357 or .38, if you don't already have one....start a whole new area to collect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I come to it from a different aspect. I use my tinfoil hat persona and what about shtf....

What ammo in the US is the most prolific? Rifle.... .223/5.66 hands down.. think of all the stock piles of mil/police/civvie in the US

</div></div>

To be 100% honest with you if there is that much ammo just lying around then there will more than likely be 1 or 2 firearms in those calibers to pick up as well.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Valid point. We rebuilt a conservation dept range this summer. The first day there before we started tearing up stuff I picked up over 600 pieces of 40 S&W, didn't see one 10mm.

40 is a decent caliber and nice to shoot. I wouldn't shy from it. </div></div>

To be honest ... I'm not worried too much about running 'low' on 10mm. I'm currently sitting on a small arsenal of loaded rounds, as well as, 6 - 5 gallon buckets (@35,000 pcs.) of recently acquired brass.
laugh.gif
I don't think I'll run out in my lifetime.

Also, since we're playing 'fair tale scenarios' a.k.a. SHTF .... I could cache my brass and loaded rounds in various places that I could come back to at a later date. That's one of the beauties of living in a rural area. Plenty of places right under your nose to hide things that would never be found, even by the suspicious looker.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After several days of hanging around gunshops and handling 1 at the range, I'm still on the fence.
laugh.gif

I might just bite the bullet and get something this weekend like an M&P 40. Shoot it for awhile, and see how I like it. If I don't like it I know a guy who will grab it up from me just because he loves the 40 S&W.

Then again, a Like New Dan Wesson RZ-10 just came available to me from a private sale. What to do?!?
</div></div>

I guess it depends on how good of a deal that Dan Wesson is?
The .40 S&W M&P pistols will be available for awhile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After several days of hanging around gunshops and handling 1 at the range, I'm still on the fence.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

The .40 S&W M&P pistols will be available for awhile. </div></div>

I picked up a Glock 23 yesterday, but have been too busy to go out back and shoot it. I'll see how I like it and report back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After several days of hanging around gunshops and handling 1 at the range, I'm still on the fence.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

The .40 S&W M&P pistols will be available for awhile. </div></div>

I picked up a Glock 23 yesterday, but have been too busy to go out back and shoot it. I'll see how I like it and report back. </div></div>

That G23 won't shoot near as well as a G20 using a match-grade .40 drop-in tube.
whistle.gif

Been there, done that.

Still have the G20, along w/ the .40 barrel and, more recently, a .357Sig tube to play w/ as desired.

Thinking of picking up a 9x25 Dillon barrel from Double Tap for more awesomeness in performance capability from the same gun.

cool.gif