• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another 168 FGMM substitute question.

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Ok, I have read a bunch of the FGMM threads, but all of them seem to degrade into a posting of a bunch of recipes that shoot best in the posters rifle but few have an exact dupe of the FGMM.

My situation:

Our issued duty ammo is Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr .308. I have a good stockpile of FGMM brass and 168gr SMK's. Does anyone have a charge for RE-15 or Varget that will duplicate the velocity of FGMM?

This would be very simple for me if I had access to a chonograph to workup the load. Unfortunately I don't and I could end up burning a lot of FGMM and handloads trying to match the tragectory.

I know that 45.5gr of RE-15 with a 168smk puts me about 1" high versus the FGMM.

Now before someone mentions it, MY 168gr handloads shoot better than FGMM in my rifle. So I know what shoots well in MY rifle. I don't need to know what shoots well in YOUR rifle. I am restricted to using 168gr FGMM for work. When I train for work I use FGMM. When I am training on my own I can't afford FGMM hence the need for a matching substitute.

I know some of you out there have worked up a copy for whatever reason. So hopefully you can help a brother out.

If I have to use a different powder I will, but I am hoping I can come up with a suitable substitute with RE-15 since that is what I usually keep on hand for my accuracy loads.

Re: Another 168 FGMM substitute question.

Wolf, you dont own a chrono? thats going to be the only way to duplicate it in your rifle.

get a shooting chrony if you want something affordable. CLICK ME!

I have used 43.2gr of Varget in my PSS and M1A. It has the same POI as 168 FGMM (in my rifles) I have also used 42.7 IMR 4895 with the same results.

LW using those 2 powders the only thing I can suggest in your situation is bump up your RL15 load a little at a time( since your high its slower) till you get the same POI as the GM.I think the closest powder to the factory load is 4064.

Try 42.3-42.8 gr RL 15. I use 42.3 gr WW case trimmed to 2.003, FL Sized, 2.800 OAL Rem 9 1/2 primer and it shoots tighter groups than FGM in my H&S HTR. If you want to exactly duplicate FGM you will need a chronograph.

Varget needs to run hard.
Buy/Borrow a chronograph and get some IMR or H/4895 and duplicate the velocity......................