• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another 22 trainer scope question

Hagen

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2017
Indiana
I just ordered a cz 455 vpt. I am wanting to build it as a trainer for my creedmoor. The scope I have on the 6.5 is a 4.5x18 Lrhs in moa. I would like to keep it similar to that but they don't adjust down far enough on parallax, <25 yards.

I was looking at the swfa 3x15 and the vortex gen 2 pst, either 3x15 or 5x25. I like a Christmas tree reticle (know the swfa doesn't have one but gets great reviews). Want ffp, zero stop,and a parallax knob that turns easy. (Havent been behind any higher end Athlons but few I have parallax knobs were TIGHT) Have looked at other bushnells but can't find what they adjust down too.

Would like to shoot some nrl matches with it also, hence the easier to turn knobs. Want to stay 1000 or under. Be great to find a Bushnell and use their discount just can't find much parallax info. Any help would be great thanks.

Sent you a PM. My Athlon Talos BTR has not exhibited any stiffness to the parallax knob, so far its been smooth and not to loose that it looses focus. Good reticle as many here can atest too. I was not a huge fan because I found myself to be more accurate (and almost just as fast) when dialing and holding center in the center cross. The precision I gained made up for the loss of speed TO ME.

A zero stop kit can be obtained from dr-optics.com.

Oh the Talos goes down to 10m parallax and I had no problem shooting at ~6m indoors with the power turned down to 5.5 power.

How about the Nightforce SHV line of scopes? They have parallax at 25m which should work fine for any NRL22 match and if they are like my old Benchrest actually work at closer to 15m. They have an F1 and I bet Mike from CS Tactical can swing you a hide discount if you call him.

I actually have the talos and a couple hawke scopes on air rifles. The talos I have and a buddy's I tried both had the super tight parallax knobs. The hawkes that I have are an older varmint and an airmax 30. They work good for what I use them for but don't dial with them. Don't believe they make an moa reticle either.

I will look into the hsv, a friend has one on his 6.5. I did not know they adjusted down that low on parallax. I would probably go with the 4x14 just to stay at 50 mm objective or smaller.

Would I be regretting not going with something more powerful than 14 or 15 power as far as matches go? When shooting lr I rarely if ever max my scope out. Usually stay around 15 power. Keep the info coming! Thanks

It's mostly the Talos BTR that has the stiffer parallax knob. Heck, I'd love to see this problem taken care of, even so it's my go-to cheap scope because I love the reticle, it focuses close and they track decent.

All my Argos BTR's have good feeling controls. It is a higher quality unit than the Talos.

The Ares 4.5-27x50 is a great scope, I can't wait to get one again though I had the 2.5-15x50! This scope is good enough that upgrading beyond it is becoming hard for me to consider anymore. Seriously, I'd rather have this scope than a Bushnell LRHS, that's why I sold it.

We've had more than a few Hawke's go down in our FT club and I know a guy that had to keep sending his back repeatedly until he finally sold the new one they sent him. Plus they are moa/mil and SFP. These are the reasons I never bought one even though at one point they were very popular. I'm not saying that the lower end Athlons are hugely better but never the less we've had very good luck with them not breaking. One was DRT out of the box and replaced with a new one that has been good for two years now.

I recently snagged a ACME Machine 6-24 for my build in progress – it's FFP, MOA/MOA and parallax down to 10y. No zero stop, but it's only $300 on sale. According to ACME, it's made in the same factory as Athlon's optics. At first blush, the glass is actually quite nice. My turrets are pretty crisp. Reticle is a bit confusing at first, but seems usable.

Lowlight talks about it a smidge in a thread called 'Decent Junker Scope?'

I would probably go with the 4x14 just to stay at 50 mm objective or smaller.

Would I be regretting not going with something more powerful than 14 or 15 power as far as matches go? When shooting lr I rarely if ever max my scope out. Usually stay around 15 power. Keep the info coming! Thanks

I don’t think you’ll miss that much overall. I’m the same way overall. The SHV have a FFP and SFP option and the SFP are very affordable and you can still reach to 25x. I like FFP but I would not let that deter me for a quality 22lr scope. I don’t have experience with the SFP SHV but the FFP is very nice!

One thing to consider is that cheaper scopes with longer zoom degrade in quality the higher you go. So for me they become less useful. A good scope will be usable at the range marked on the scope or close to it.

I just grabbed a new in box Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP MIL for my new 22LR in the PX for $325. Ive heard good things so we shall see.

I just grabbed a new in box Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 FFP MIL for my new 22LR in the PX for $325. Ive heard good things so we shall see.

Looking forward to your review. I’m looking at that for my son’s rifle. Curious what you think of the turrets.

Im looking forward to testing it as well. I have 10 different kinds of match grade ammo for my new 22lr AR15 match upper built by Keystone Accuracy. The groups Ive seen from other uppers hes built are clover leafs.

tmijLTG.jpg

Reactions: Afkirby
I will have to give the Athlon another look. The features definitely sound good. I will be curious how yours works for you. Going too also check with the guy I know and look through his shv this weekend.

I don't want to jump into a scope and then regret the one I got. I have something I can throw on it when the gun gets here. So not gonna rush into it. Thanks again