• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another 7.62 AR decision

Prairie Dog Dundee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2002
Utah
I've handled and/or fired the Armalite SASS, DPMS SASS, POF, Remington and LWRCI REPER. My selection criteria is a honest MOA shooter, reliability in a rugged package as light as possible. I want to bang steel out to 800 yards and possibly limited hunting. From what I've read and my limited experience with the platform I'm leaning towards POF and the DPMS SASS. I'm also very interested in the LaRue and the LMT offerings. However, LMT and LaRue are not in stock locally. Is LMT and LaRue shipping or is there a waiting list? What are the limitations of getting a different upper on these rifles? How do you know what lower and upper are compatible? Any insight is appreciated. Price is not a major issue but it is a factor. I want to purchase performance that meets my criteria not bragging rights. Thanks for the help.

Re: Another 7.62 AR decision

I have a few POFs. They are great rifles. Both of mine shoot under .6" for 5 shots at 100.

There are two different .308 ar patterns.

DPMS style and AR10 style.

It seems that the DPMS style is taking over. Magpul mags work in DPMS style rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few POFs. They are great rifles. Both of mine shoot under .6" for 5 shots at 100.

It seems that the DPMS style is taking over. Magpul mags work in DPMS style rifles. </div></div>
Thanks. Do the DPMS/Magpul types uppers interchange?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few POFs. They are great rifles. Both of mine shoot under .6" for 5 shots at 100.

It seems that the DPMS style is taking over. Magpul mags work in DPMS style rifles. </div></div>
Thanks. Do the DPMS/Magpul types uppers interchange? </div></div>

The style is from Knights SR-25 from what I remember and DPMS copied them.

Last I heard about LaRue is they were shipping in under a week. That's been a coule weeks ago and order volume would obviously affect that.

I know the Knights and LaRue uppers and lowers are interchangable, not sure about the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a few POFs. They are great rifles. Both of mine shoot under .6" for 5 shots at 100.

Thanks. Do the DPMS/Magpul types uppers interchange? </div></div>

He's referring to the style of magazines-308 platform AR rifles usually fall into fitting one of two types of magazines-either DPMS LR308 mags (which magpul and C-Products, etc) are, or Armalite AR10 pattern magazines. sSome other lowers use different mags (FN-FAL).

The other trick is which uppers fit which lowers. I'm no expert, but I do know not all are interchangeable-if you buy upper and lower from two different sources, definitely do your due diligence and research prior to committing cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've handled and/or fired the Armalite SASS, DPMS SASS, POF, Remington and LWRCI REPER. My selection criteria is a honest MOA shooter, reliability in a rugged package as light as possible. <span style="font-weight: bold">I want to bang steel out to 800 yards and possibly limited hunting.</span> </div></div>
With those criteria, the first choice you have to make is piston or direct impingement. If you are going to shoot supressed, piston is the no-brainer option. If non-supressed you can probably build a lighter platform going DI.

If you decide to go DI, do yourself a favor and click the AR link in my signature. Scott (Specialized Dynamics) is one of the leading AR builders in the predator hunting community, a very active shooter and supporter of practical precision shooting (snipery matches), and (and has been for quite a while now) a hide vendor and supporter. He can build you what you say you are looking for and stand behind it. The big names sell you marketing, Scott builds you a rifle.

Here is something to consider - Krieger has the M110 barrels in stock. Iron Ridge Arms has upper and lower receivers in stock.

Once you settle on Armalite versus DPMS internals, other than getting a smith to chamber and crown the barrel it is a bolt together affair to building a kick-ass 308 M110 variant if you have AR-15 build experience.

Looking real hard at this right now; it would be no big deal for me to build two of them instead of just one.

krieger makes the KAC M110 barrels? I thought KAC made it in house?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thmpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krieger makes the KAC M110 barrels? I thought KAC made it in house? </div></div>

They make "clone" M110 barrels. Here you go:

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/M_110_Service_Rifle-c1246-wp6474.htm

They are typical of Krieger's usual high quality and the price is very reasonable in comparison with other commercially available barrels like those from Rock, LW, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thmpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krieger makes the KAC M110 barrels? I thought KAC made it in house?</div></div>

I believe KAC outsources them from Obermeyer.

My Noveske Ar10 has gone 340 rounds suppressed without cleaning, and without malfunction.

I have a stock AR10T that has been cut to 20" and target crowned. It will shoot honest 1 MOA 10 shot groups with Federal 168gr. GMM, consistantly. It's not light, but it will shoot.

I love my AR10T 20". Not a single hiccup so far in 300 or so rounds. That said, and having become attached to the idea of a 18" 7.62 carbine that will run on Pmags. I'm looking hard at the DPMS. I don't mind direct gas impingement, as it is the devil I know.

There are plenty more beautiful, expensive rifles out there, but the DPMS billet receivers look incredible to me. I haven't found anyone yet to say anything bad about the DPMS 7.62, though I'm sure someone will come along.

It sure seems like they are the best bang for the buck. Anybody care to talk me out of it?

I went with the LMT MWS.

I have 1,800 rounds though my LMT MWS CL with zero problems.

Top photo, yellow steel 500 yards, (3.75"), white steel 300 yards rapid and paper 100 yards.
Second photo is a close up of the paper target in top photo. All ammo used was the load shown on the paper target. Scope was SWFA SS 3-9X42.

Bottom photo was 700 yards,(7.5"), shot with the same ammo and a SWFA 1-4 HD prototype at <span style="text-decoration: underline">4X</span>

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

[img

[img

I just traded for a DPMS SASS. I haven't made it to the range yet but I do have a little input for you. If you want light weight this rifle ain't it.

Jim

Nice shootin', Prairie Dog Dundee.

Pepperbelly, don't feel bad; you're not alone. Fully equipped, my POF .308 weighs 18lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shootin', Prairie Dog Dundee.

Pepperbelly, don't feel bad; you're not alone. Fully equipped, my POF .308 weighs 18lbs. </div></div>

Thanks Killshot. I posted that before I realised that I was responding to my own old post placed before I got the LMT. Does this some how mean I took my own advise?
grin.gif

the only negative with DPMS is their move to proprietary standards. they raised the rail height on the uppers and that forces you to use their quad rail handguards. the only other minor thing is the lack of a raised "boss" or bump if you will to capture the mag catch as you press the button to drop the mag. its a little bit of a pain to get it set right. JD, MEGA, CMMG all have the little raised deal like the AR15s ALL have. but other than those two things i liked my DPMS set. not enough to keep it, lol. but honestly for the price of DPMS you can get the MA-10 from MEGA and the stuff thats included with the MA-10 (charge handle, port cover, take down and pivot pins installed) you really can source everything from an ar15 parts kit. plus since everybody upgrades the trigger and adds an ambi safety... well i have tons of stuff left over from a 308 parts kit, lol