• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another 700 coating

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
I fixed this for a friend. One of the alignment posts on the cheek rest was broken off so I drilled it out and applied some devcon. He said coat it how I wanted.

Barrel/Action: Flat Dark Earth Tef/moly
Stock: Dark Park. Gray Alumahyde II
Bolt/Rings/Base: Black Tef/moly
Artwork: Black Alumahyde II

This is the first time I airbrushed anything like this. I watched a video and made my own stencil.
It is also the first time I textured the stock with the paint gun, I opened the needle all the way up so that the finish feels like 800 grit sandpaper and very flat with no glare.

creels004.jpg

creels003.jpg

creels005.jpg

creels002.jpg

creels010.jpg

Re: Another 700 coating

Brownells Gunkote and Alumahyde are the only products I have used.
They are inexpensive, consistant and in my experience durable.

i was doing some reading on the alumahyde and it said that it's a thick coating...did you run into any issues with reassembly?

The alumahyde is thinned 5:1 and can be thinned even more if you like.
I do not use the alumahyde on metal or moving parts, it is used mainly on plastic, stocks and frames etc.
I spray the alumahyde with my HVLP detail gun or airbrush, this allows for good coverage without a heavy layer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is awesome! You just gave me an idea...
smile.gif
</div></div>

Ha Ha! Me too.

stillbuster, looks great, you got skills.

Hey StillBuster, great job!

How well has the Alumahyde been holding up for you? I want to try painting a few of my stocks with something a little better than Krylon.

A few questions for you:
On the thinning 5:1, does it take more coats for complete coverage? What did you use to thin it? Do you low-temp bake the alumihyde at all or just let it air dry?

Again, awesome work.

mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey StillBuster, great job!
How well has the Alumahyde been holding up for you? I want to try painting a few of my stocks with something a little better than Krylon.
A few questions for you:
On the thinning 5:1, does it take more coats for complete coverage? What did you use to thin it? Do you low-temp bake the alumihyde at all or just let it air dry?
Again, awesome work.

mike </div></div>

Covers in three passes.
I thin it with Brownells thinner for alumahyde.
I let the item air dry overnight and then hang in a parked vehicle for a couple of days.
As far as durability goes I have a pair of Glocks I stippled and coated about 3-4 years ago that show no signs of wear with moderate use.
As with any coating, it is only as good as the prep work.
On the items I have coated with Alumahyde that I want to make 100% sure the coating stays forever I will let cure in a parked car or the attic for at least 2 weeks.
I have messed up coatings by handling them to soon, what really messes one up is if you handle it with oils or gun lube on your hands before it fully cures (2 weeks or so).

Good to know. Thanks!

I've thought about trying an air cure paint soon, just haven't decided on which one yet. Probably try the GunKote air dry stuff. Got to support them a little more now they are moving to Texas.

Mike