• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Another 7mm rifle question...

Nitrosteel

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
GA
My stock is ordered at Manners.

I “hope” to order a Defiance Rebel action next month and I’m still undecided on caliber. Torn between 284 win or 7 saum. It wouldn’t matter if they both had same bolt face diameter (if they were the same I could decide later). Wanting to have enough horsepower to kill an elk at 800-900 yards. Don’t want to beat myself too bad with recoil. If it weren’t for that - I’d just do a 28 Nosler and be done.

I hate to put this much money in a gun and it recoil so bad that I don’t enjoy target shooting with it some. Would just order an extra bolt but the 3 position safety option pushed an extra bolt to about $500...

Planning to shoot a 180 Berger hybrid. Would love to stick with standard bolt face so I could rebarrel in some other standard caliber like 30-06 or even another 6.5 (Light hunting rifle).

Great brass is available for either caliber.

With a 24-26” barrel do you think a 284 win is enough gun - it’s seems to be about the most range I can get in a standard bolt face (non-wildcat) long action rifle?

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. Have you checked if the 284 will fit to magazine length, if using one? I’ve read somewhere in the past about mag length issues but not sure if it’s a real problem or someone who was seating out too far.

I know it forces you to a long action but the 280 Ackley will do everything you want. Very efficient can be loaded hot (180 Berger @ 2950fps) or slowed down and retain accuracy either way.

Forgot to mention - yes - I am ordering a long action no matter the caliber. Don’t want to fight with case length issues.

I have shot many of the 7's. Liked the saum but can get the same out of the Ackley with cheaper brass ahd both have to be la (at least for my loads). Must admit that I am now building a Sherman Short with hope of getting similar performance in a short action.

I have a Tikka T3x Lite in 7mm RemMag in a Manners MCS stock.... It's very light. I have a Limbsaver recoil pad. The other day I shot 130 rounds which covers 2 different load development series of 168, 183 grainers as well as some 175 grainers speckled in there, cleaning in between and fouling shots.

I fucking LOVE that rifle in its current configuration. I can't wait to shoot out the barrel so I can spin on a 26"+ heavy Palma profile barrel with a brake. Then she'll be a pussycat.

Make damn sure to have a LimbSaver recoil pad and you'll have a grand ol' time.

I'd go saum in a long action. Say you don't like it or shoot the barrel out. I think you'll be happier with LA options with a magnum face than .308 face.