• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another annealling question.

fw707

Minuteman
Nov 12, 2010
KY
OK, I'm setting up a Giraud annealer for the first time.
I have several pieces of Winchester .243 brass that I'm using to set the flame and time on the machine before I do 150 rounds of Lapua .260 brass.
I'm using 750 degree Tempilaq on the inside of the case necks and I'm following the Giraud instructions to the letter.
When the Tempilaq liquifies and the brass drops into the tray, the brass has shown almost no color change like I always see here on "correctly" annealed brass. Is it hot enough for annealling to occur?

I haven't run any Lapua brass through yet.

Re: Another annealling question.

do yourself a favor and ditch the stand alone direct attached bottle. the problem with the setup as it comes is that the bottle pressure is constantly changing and producing a flame of varying degrees. you can get a in-line regulator on amazon so that you can run the bottle wide open and fine-tune with a needle valve. This will save you tons of headaches in the future.

I know it's not what you asked but just some advice from my experience.

Trust the tempilaq. unless the brass is super clean (SS media) sometimes the color change is not what you would expect. If you don't SS clean you can try to clean a few pieces in the sink and use some vinegar to shine the brass up then re-run them and see if you see the visual experience you are looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know it's not what you asked but just some advice from my experience.

Trust the tempilaq. unless the brass is super clean (SS media) sometimes the color change is not what you would expect. If you don't SS clean you can try to clean a few pieces in the sink and use some vinegar to shine the brass up then re-run them and see if you see the visual experience you are looking for. </div></div>

Thanks doubled!
I set up the STM system just so I could anneal brass without carbon in the neck.
I'm not looking for a "visual experience", just correctly annealed brass. I don't care about the color. I just want the necks annealed.
I checked into the regulator system a while back.
Thanks again!!

trust the paint and also do some spring tests with a pair of pliers - there are a ton of descriptions out there on how to do this but frankly it's all about feel and something you will learn as you get more comfortable. get some brand new brass to use as your baseline and get the "feel" for proper spring back then test your annealed brass.

Thanks again for your assistance!
It took me about 5 cents worth of Tempilaq and 50 rounds of brass to defeat the urban legend!
grin.gif

I too was concerned about my brass not changing color when I first started this process. I was told by another annealer that the colors you see on the brass comes with age. I tested it and he was correct. Anneal a piece of brass and let it sit for a couple of months and you will see the color develop. Trust the tempilaq

This is good to know!

I've been annealing using an electric drill / socket set up, propane torch and metronome for timing.

I've always been a little concerned about keeping the brass in the blue flame for more than 7 seconds in case I over anneal, but haven't seen a dramatic change in brass color. More of a dulling instead of the typical picture of what you see here.

This increases my confidence that I'm doing it right.

I've been using lizard litter and a touch of polish to clean my brass.

I anneal with a Bench Source and have noticed different brands of brass will vary in color even when the heat and time in the flame are constant. The Military brass has a distinct change of color while the factory brass exhibits little. The color does become more pronounced over time and as mentioned above trust the Tempilaq.

I've just hit the exact same thing whilst setting up my bench source..

I've annealed by hand (battery drill) for couple of years no problem,
But this is my first time trying to anneal my 708 brass, and I've wrecked about 20 cases so far.. necks glowing orange but none of the 'usual' colour change.
The cases just look a little golden yellow down to just below the shoulder,
But no rainbow/blue line like I normally get.

.260 cases were perfect,
.308 cases were perfect,
708 cases kicking my ass. (guessing its from being much thicker from being sized down from .308 lapua brass)

So I've given up and currently waiting on shipment of Tempilaq!