• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

another barrel length question

skep_tic1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2007
NC
I'm going to put another AR15 upper together. I'm using a 1 in 8 twist. I will be loading the 77 grainers in this one. I WANT a 16" barrel, but would I be better served velocity wise with an 18" barrel. My goal is to shoot tactical matches out to 600 plus yards. I really enjoy pushing the .223 to its limits.

Re: another barrel length question

The velocity difference between a 16" and an 18" barrel isn't much but since you plan on shooting PAST 600 yards, I would say a 20+ incher might serve you better.

Edited to add: Since you are stuck between a 16 and 18 inch barrel, I'd say get the 18. The extra velocity wouldn't hurt.

2500 - 2525 is all I was seeing from 16" with 75gr bullets with acceptable accuracy (meaning sub MOA).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2500 - 2525 is all I was seeing from 16" with 75gr bullets with acceptable accuracy (meaning sub MOA).
</div></div>

What was your load and what chrono were you using? Just curious.

Sorry for the hijack OP.
smile.gif

The question is between 16 and 18 inches. I appreciate the suggestion of a twenty incher but for the purpose of this rifle I want it to be as close to an m4 lenth as possible. So if 18 inches will provide a substantial increase in velocity over 16 inches than the 18 would be as long as I would go.

Then the 18 would be better for the distances you plan on using the rifle. Plus you can get a rifle length gas system on the 18.

I realy like my 18" ar for 3gun with the rifle length gas system. I shot the rm3gun out to 585 yds no problem. But you might want to think 1-7 with the heavy bullets.

1:8 is fine for everything except maybe 90VLD type bullets. That being said I'd get the white oak 18" SPR barrel if you can; while I don't like 1:7 twist the one I have is a great shooter and the price/availability is good.

A good 18" barrel will give you the velocity you need while only being slightly heavier than a comparable 16" match barrel.