• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Bergara B14R Trigger Question

allan harris

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2010
I live a long way from anywhere and replacement triggers are hard to source and expensive.
I have this Jewell HVR top safety/no bolt release here and before I remove the Bergara unit, has anyone actually fitted a Jewell to a B14R?
I'd prefer to use this trigger as I've had a good run with them on my Remingtons.
Comments appreciated,
Allan.

warning.gif

Edit/Delete Message

Installed the Jewell this morning - Zero issues - Passed all safety checks and breaking consistently at 12 ozs with the "A" spring.
Dropped barrelled action back in stock - Re-check safety procedures and the FP drops each time the safety lever moves from SAFE to FIRE
eek.gif

I thought this would be tight when I eyeballed everything prior to my original post.
The safety lever was binding ever so slightly on the stock inlet when in SAFE mode and wouldn't fully engage. A few strokes with a round file & all good.
I'll live fire this in the next few days but am confident the Jewell will be safe & reliable.
If any issues arise, I'll re-adjust where necessary.
I couldn't find any info on where any B14R owners had specifically fitted a Jewell - Excellent up-grade from my perspective.
Thanks,
Allan.

Edit/Delete Message

Thanks for the follow up!

Notice any change in cocking effort?

No change in cocking effort....I won't change any trigger adjustments from the factory settings until I try some live ammo. Break is typical Jewell with zero creep and very limited over travel. I'm sure this pull weight would go lower safely but quite happy with overall trigger function "as is".
All the after market quality triggers are pretty scarce down here in Aus at the moment and all run approx. A$500.00 - A gunsmith contact of mine had the Jewell on the shelf so I jumped on it!

I put an HVRTS in my b-14 R and have it around 8 ozs. (#2 or B spring) I love it now. When I first installed it back in April I started having a harder bolt throw. I thought it had something to do with the trigger but it did it with the stock trigger installed as well, so I began removing the scope base and rings to send it back to Bergara, and once everything was removed it freed up. I thought for sure it must be the rear scope base screw extending into the action, but even after screwing it all the way in without the scope base even on it, it didn't protrude into the action. I reassembled everything including the HVRTS trigger and have had no issues since. Still not sure what may have caused the problem.

I put an HVRTS in my b-14 R and have it around 8 ozs. (#2 or B spring) I love it now. When I first installed it back in April I started having a harder bolt throw. I thought it had something to do with the trigger but it did it with the stock trigger installed as well, so I began removing the scope base and rings to send it back to Bergara, and once everything was removed it freed up. I thought for sure it must be the rear scope base screw extending into the action, but even after screwing it all the way in without the scope base even on it, it didn't protrude into the action. I reassembled everything including the HVRTS trigger and have had no issues since. Still not sure what may have caused the problem.
Thats crazy because the action itself is pretty thick.

Reactions: Parkerized
Sorry for the necro post.

My sample of this barreled action requires a fairly significant amount of force to close when using a trigger tech diamond. The factory trigger requires less force, but it is still a pretty heavy cock on close. Anyone have luck adjusting that out with a trigger?

Ok, let's put it into numbers; the bolt on my B14R with a Jewell HVR takes 3.2 lbs to close. For me that's "light".

Measured at the very end of the bolt knob, right at the last groove, with plastic snap cap in the chamber.

Depending on ammo, it can be a LOT harder to close the bolt! So keep that in mind. The B14R's chamber is very tight. I'm not at the range, so I'm not willing to test the bolt close with different ammo types right now. SK/Lapua feels "light", CCi and Aquila make it "hard" to close the bolt. I might take the trigger scale with me next time I'm at the range...

Reactions: Changed
Hello Allen,
Are you still happy with your Jewell in your B14R ? Mine is very accurate but I would like a new trigger but I have had a TTD in my Vudoo
and would like to try a new trigger just because I like new toys. Can anybody recommend any other great triggers for me to consider?

Reactions: nikonNUT
Hello Allen,
Are you still happy with your Jewell in your B14R ? Mine is very accurate but I would like a new trigger but I have had a TTD in my Vudoo
and would like to try a new trigger just because I like new toys. Can anybody recommend any other great triggers for me to consider?
Well I can't recommend it yet but I really am jonesing for the Bix and Andy Tac Pro. Just something in the back of my mind telling me that the adjustable sear height piece might solve the issues I am having with the TT Diamond 2-Stage. Issue might not be the right word either. I just can't can't get it below 20oz. It's a great trigger and I have no complaints from a safety or performance standpoint I just want to be able to go a little lighter.

That's odd. I took my TTD out of my Vudoo that was set to 4 oz. and simply put it in my B14R with no issues. Now that you say it. It's not the Jewel I was thinking of but the B&A with the trigger blade on the rail that I want. How stupid of me. I like the idea of being able to change the trigger blade style.

Well I can't recommend it yet but I really am jonesing for the Bix and Andy Tac Pro. Just something in the back of my mind telling me that the adjustable sear height piece might solve the issues I am having with the TT Diamond 2-Stage. Issue might not be the right word either. I just can't can't get it below 20oz. It's a great trigger and I have no complaints from a safety or performance standpoint I just want to be able to go a little lighter.

That's odd. I took my TTD out of my Vudoo that was set to 4 oz. and simply put it in my B14R with no issues. Now that you say it. It's not the Jewel I was thinking of but the B&A with the trigger blade on the rail that I want. How stupid of me. I like the idea of being able to change the trigger blade style.
It's not odd... I'm an idiot! :LOL: I got my screws mixed up aka even with glasses I couldn't see the call outs for 1st stage and 2nd stage adjustments on the printed instructions. I was looking for cleaning instructions and found the directions online, blew them up to huge(!), and saw my mistake. All good now and 4oz is easy peasy. I'm so stupid! Have it sitting on 12oz now and excited to try it this weekend! Let the flaming begin! ;)

Last edited:

B&A with a 90* shoe is awesome. Tac-sport adjusted to 14oz with no issues.
You do have to take the side plate off to change shoes, but it's a 3 minute job.