• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Boots thread - supportive boots that drain water

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I am a long time Asolo fan. Worn out three pairs over the last six year and am working through killing pair # four now. The Fugitives are hands down my favorite BUT I did an even this weekend that has convinced me I need more than one option.

A buddy and I did the 9/11 Legion 10k and 500 yards in you’re standing in 18” of water entering a 36” culvert with 4” of water in it. It didn’t take long to realize that 2.3# each Gortex boots become 6# anchors once they fill with water. It smoked me hauling around the extra water weight so I am looking for the following boot:

Stiff midsole to support long-ish hiking with 30-70# of kit on a 250# man

At least ankle high with good ankle support.

Grippy sole with a pronounced heal for walking down hill in wet conditions

Must shed water while walking. I know they won’t dry, but they should shed most of what’s not soaked into the socks, liner

Must had some padding in the upper for rock impacts

I have been looking at The Solomon 4Ds and maybe the Garmont T8 Bifida, but I’m curious what guys who are train wet are wearing to keep you feet from sitting in to size 13 buckets of swamp water?

I have the T8 Bifidas. Not sure I'd call them supportive, but they are incredibly comfortable. Drain decent, jusy not exceptionally so. Nice pair of boots, but I don't think they excel at any one thing you're specifically looking for. The 4D look like an entirely different animal, but I'm only familiar with Solomon's Trail running shoes.

Reactions: FatBoy
Frank had some pair of orange boots he said he loved, and they drain water.

Dude seriously took one off in the store so people could feel how light it was.

They make other colors too.

@lowlight - whats the name of that boot again?

1631720316626.png
loads of support could not vouch for the comfort or how you'd look in them , but I am sure your comfortable in what ever you wear so it's all good lol :ROFLMAO: like water off a ducks back get em muddy and hose em off good as new .

View attachment 7703854loads of support could not vouch for the comfort or how you'd look in them , but I am sure your comfortable in what ever you wear so it's all good lol :ROFLMAO: like water off a ducks back get em muddy and hose em off good as new .

So you’ve seen my legs ;)

No way I can still pull off open toes shoes though. Missing and fucked up toe nails would ruin the look. I’d have to switch to a pair of ‘Dem shoes 👠

My fifth and sixth pair now with Lowa. Mine do not drain. Seal the cuff and pretty good. Supportive yes. Fit me well. Drain means they will let water in?

If I remember correctly New Balance made some of their new military model as jungle boots with the little drain homes. They are kinda hard to find.

I ordered a pair of Solomon XA Jungles last night. Guess I’ll know soon enough. If they fit OK I’m going to a 4.5 miler, immediately walking into the lake up to my knees when I start and see how they do. I had never considered training like this before but after last weekend I understand moving any kind of distance completely soaked is something I need to train.

I ordered a pair of Solomon XA Jungles last night. Guess I’ll know soon enough. If they fit OK I’m going to a 4.5 miler, immediately walking into the lake up to my knees when I start and see how they do. I had never considered training like this before but after last weekend I understand moving any kind of distance completely soaked is something I need to train.
How'd the go faster's work out?

To go backwards (maybe) is the limiting factor with jungle boots the lack of support? I am also looking for something that drains, doesn't feel like you're walking in ski boots (I already pimp walk without even trying), and offers some support in the event of uneven footing, hills, etc. When walking through wet grass I get the same effect as if I'd stood in a pool. The boots are full. Anyone tried gaiters?

God bless America

I have the Solomons now. Haven’t had time to hike yet, but they have some padding around the foot and ankle. They are a little wide in the toe box for me but a different insole might help. The heel feels very good. Another couple days around the house and they’ll be ready for a trail.

Honestly, I probably should have just found my old green/black Army jungles and had them resold, but I recall they had a seem in the heel that I fucking hated during long movements.

Wow, my bad.
Just checked the age of these posts.

Not that old. It’s just now time to start breaking in this years boots, at least in the south. Plan on putting 11-12 miles on the Solomons this Saturday. Not sure if I’ll wear gear or just a pack yet. Hopefully I don’t break a fucking ankle on the Gizzards roots…

First time in new boots - yank out the insoles, put on your thinnest socks, heaviest ruck, then wait for a torrential downpour and do the whole thing at an airborne shuffle on pavement.

I did this once. Never again.

Good luck with the new kicks

Did 4 miles in a PC and small pack Saturday after the gym. Boots did OK but this is the first pair of boots I’ve owned that needs arc support. The lack of support had my heels pushing back into the heel box and I got a blister. I never get blisters. Todays 10 milers, I wore the Asolos. Thank God too, today was a lot tougher even with no PC.

I’m going to find some customizable arc support and give it another go. If they still suck, fuck ‘em, I’ll find something else.

Life’s too short to suffer with shitty boots.

I have a pair of 5 10 valor tactical boots that are great. Good ankle support, drain out and dry quickly. They are inexpensive. I was doubtful about how well they would work, but because of the price and great reviews I thought i would give them a try.

Reactions: FatBoy