• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft another camo job

Killswitch Engage

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
ohio
here is my 24" ar. i did it in alumahyde II coyote and od with a touch of rustoleum flat black to define break up. i think it turned out ok.
001-1.jpg

003.jpg

Re: another camo job

Looks better than ok. Looks great. Keep up the good work.

How about some closer pics of the pattern? Maybe a short tutorial on how you did it? It looks great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about some closer pics of the pattern? Maybe a short tutorial on how you did it? It looks great! </div></div>

thanks everyone for the comments. i will get some closer pics up soon. as far as how i did it, i degreased the entire rifle with acetone. i then heated it to about 115f or so with a heat gun and degreased it again. i taped off all the normal important shit with blue 3m tape. hung it and reheated it to 100f again and shot it with 4 consecutive coats of alumahydeII coyote. i then hung it in my shed for 3 days which it was around 120f in there. i then took body shop brown paper and just simply tore the patterns i wanted along with tearing green 3m painters tape to get the rough edge look to the pattern. once i had it patterned i shot it with alumahydeII od green and let that set up. finally, i shot some of the pattern edges with flat black rustoleum grill paint to help define the break up a little. hope this was detailed enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dgunn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...i then took body shop brown paper and just simply tore the patterns i wanted along with tearing green 3m painters tape to get the rough edge look to the pattern. once i had it patterned i shot it with alumahydeII od green and let that set up. finally, i shot some of the pattern edges with flat black rustoleum grill paint to help define the break up a little...
</div></div>

That's the part I was wondering about. I already have an AH2 coyote base on my rifle (sprayed it last week). I intended to do the "pine/straw" method, similar to TM's rifle painting tutorial thread... but I'm diggin' yours... what to do...
confused.gif

Have to agree with the others, it's outstanding in my eyes.

In a way it's simple but yet effective, making me think that intricate and complex designs are not necessary. The placement/fading of the black really sets it off.

Great job!
grin.gif

thanks again for the comments and i am glad you guys like it. i just wanted a simple camo pattern as i have found it usually break things up well. please feel free to copy all you want...it's just paint. aj, you just have to do what you feel will serve you best. in my ao there is a fair amount of time that the dingy browns/coyote and lighter od blend good here so that is what i went for. if your area is grassy alot trigger monkeys paint may serve you better. either way good luck and paint the hell out of it.

That's a great camo job. Is that your first one?

it is my first with the alumahyde but i have done many with krylon.

Whats the difference between the two?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xNF 9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the difference between the two? </div></div>

alumahyde is an epoxy based paint...krylon is not. alumahyde is a little tougher