• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another chambering issue

Neck turning the cases may be the best way to fix your issue. I have ran into this issue before and that cured the issue.

I read halfway through this thread and no no mention of you using a case gauge or anyone asking you if you did. This is basic. A case gauge will verify if everything behind the bullet, the case, if it's resized properly, if it needs to be trimmed, if it fits in the case gauge it will fit in your chamber. If it does, then try and chamber a round, if the bolt won't close but the round will extract and there are no marks on the bullet (projectile) showing your running up against either the lands, a squib, or some other obstruction.. ,,then you for sure need to have yoru chamber and barrel scoped and see what's going on in there. A case gauge is give or take a few bucks from $25.. every round you load should be "gauged" if reliability is important to you.
Lol and reading the other half of the thread is free.

Btw, I don’t know who you think is gauging every round for reliability, but I can tell you I’m not. My chamber works just fine for that. It’ll tell me if I have something that’s too oversized (as OP’s chamber told him), and unless you do something funky with your sizing setup (like removing metal) you won’t have a case that’s too small in any dimension. Check a sized case with a comparator when you first use the die, and after that it won’t change.

I bought a case gauge for a cartridge I no longer shoot cause I was having issues; it told me a sized case wouldn’t chamber properly but not much else. I wasn’t until I switched to 45ACP on the press and the die landed on the case mouth that it became evident that the press had been improperly machined and was out of alignment. It was bending the bottleneck cases off the center axis, and the case gauge wasn’t the right tool for that. Addressed that issue, and have never needed another case gauge (technically didn’t need that one either).

Anywho. Case gauge wouldn’t have told OP anything he didn’t already know (“seated case won’t fit”), and the rest of your advice was provided by somebody else already, and none of your advice would have directly answered the problem.

Read the whole thread next time, bud

• Love
Reactions: Dot3
Hi All,

A few months back I was helping a friend with a chambering issue so I posted here and everyone was a great help. Now I'm having the same issue with my rifle and I want to find out what Im doing wrong that causing this.

I created a load that worked great with my rifle, but I went to recreate the load, and now I'm having issues with every 2nd or third bullet not chambering. The bolt goes 95% of the way forward but just cant go far enough forward to close without putting excessive pressure on the bolt.

I have 2 cartridges now, one from the load I created last week, and the one from this week, both in theory should be exactly the same. The one that will chamber without issue is labeled "A" and the one that has issues chambering is labeled "B".

I took measurements of of the case month diameter, COAL to OJIVE, and the shoulder, and all seem to be the same between the two loads. Also just for good measure since I thought it was a resizing issue I took a measurement of the shoulder of a fired piece of brass form yesterday and both loads are 4 thousandths smaller then the fired brass.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Sometimes this kind of thing happens and it’s trial and error time. I have the same problem with my Savage Ultra light 6.5 PRC. This caliber has been a challenge to reload because the Brass is near impossible to find. I finally found some brass at Gunwerks. Once fired brass. I loaded a couple of rounds and they wouldn’t chamber. I measured at the base and thats where the problem was. They were a couple thousands bigger than a box of factory that I had. I called Whidden and they had run into this problem before with ADG brass. They told be the brass was pretty hard and to send them a couple to see if there dies could size them to fit. Still waiting to hear from them. I tried a Redding Small base die but that didn’t work either. The brass will not chamber at all. I tried bumping the shoulder and that didn’t work but I believe the problem is the base. Whidden said they can make a custom die using a piece of Hornady Factory after I shoot it so that is an option although an expensive one. One friend said I could polish the chamber or even have it cut a little bigger but I really don’t want to do this. I finally got some Lapua brass yesterday so at least I can load some rounds finally.Good luck , I hope you figure it out.

Hi All,

A few months back I was helping a friend with a chambering issue so I posted here and everyone was a great help. Now I'm having the same issue with my rifle and I want to find out what Im doing wrong that causing this.

I created a load that worked great with my rifle, but I went to recreate the load, and now I'm having issues with every 2nd or third bullet not chambering. The bolt goes 95% of the way forward but just cant go far enough forward to close without putting excessive pressure on the bolt.

I have 2 cartridges now, one from the load I created last week, and the one from this week, both in theory should be exactly the same. The one that will chamber without issue is labeled "A" and the one that has issues chambering is labeled "B".

I took measurements of of the case month diameter, COAL to OJIVE, and the shoulder, and all seem to be the same between the two loads. Also just for good measure since I thought it was a resizing issue I took a measurement of the shoulder of a fired piece of brass form yesterday and both loads are 4 thousandths smaller then the fired brass.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Hi Baron, thanks for the advice. I just measured the base and it looks like the one that doesn't seat is 1 thousandth more. Not sure if that's enough to cause a chambering issue. The round is 6.5 creed, and one is on its 3rd firing, one is on its 4th. I used a full length sizing die, but I'm not sure what you mean by over caming.

My loading process is:
Wet tumble the brass
Dry brass
Anneal the brass
Lube up the brass
Resize it with the full length sizing die, 0.289 neck bushing in this case
Prime the brass
Charge the brass
Seat the Bullet

Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks for your help!
That’s your problem you need to size them more although you do not want to push the shoulder back more than two possibly three thousandths max

I read halfway through this thread and no no mention of you using a case gauge or anyone asking you if you did. This is basic. A case gauge will verify if everything behind the bullet, the case, if it's resized properly, if it needs to be trimmed, if it fits in the case gauge it will fit in your chamber. If it does, then try and chamber a round, if the bolt won't close but the round will extract and there are no marks on the bullet (projectile) showing your running up against either the lands, a squib, or some other obstruction.. ,,then you for sure need to have yoru chamber and barrel scoped and see what's going on in there. A case gauge is give or take a few bucks from $25.. every round you load should be "gauged" if reliability is important to you.
Thanks, and that's a great suggestion, I will pick one up. That being said, we have solved the issue, I posed the solution a few posts ago but the discussion continued on tumbling and some other topics.

The solution for those interested was that I needed to chamfer the inside of the brass again, and the reason was that the tumble after the resizing removed my chamfer and caused the necks to peen.