• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing another damn painting tutorial but different

ewoaf

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2009
    Albemarle VA
    beaurobbins.com
    Hey all, Just wanted to share a different way of painting. I call it the reversed stencilling/backward layered up side down digicam way.

I got bored one day and tried to paint my stock after reading what a lot of you had to say about it and found the advice quite helpful.
    One problem I ran into though was spray painting parts of the stock through a stencil that were far from flat. I painted digital cammo because I thought it would be easy, but it was hard to get nice sharp patterns on rough, curved, or otherwise un-flat parts of whatever it was I was painting.
    I have a rem700 sps-v rh sa in .308, and since I have a brand new Mcree coming soon, I thought I might paint my factory stock one more time for practice before I sell/trash it. We all know what mcrees look like and they have very little flat spots for easy stencilling. This is the reason I ventured down this path. I want to call this method new, only because I haven't seen anyone demonstrate this way of patterning yet.

Here we go....I had in mind a 4 color digicam....picked colors to fit my AO. The first color I used (after stripping and acetoning and taping everything) is a light colored tan which I will from now on refer to as white. I started with it for two reasons. I will paint in four coats (4 colors) and wanted to start with the lightest, but also the one I will use least. So I went to town and painted the whole thing...step one over.

2588js4.jpg
    Here we are after taping and ready to start. after this step I just gave her the once over in white...

Heres where we get creative..Using duct tape (use #70,834), I cut out little random digi-patterns and stuck them to the stock. After you paint a color coat, stick tape to whatever you want to remain that color. here is the first coat plus tape
    waoh8z.jpg

Next, I painted the whole rifle again with the color I would use more than white, but less that the other two = green. Again, I taped my duct tape sticky stencils.
    2mmsr3c.jpg

Brown, was my next color and used quite a bit more tape as I wanted a lot more of this color.
    2rpwknn.jpg
    Once I taped over what I wanted brown, there are only 2 more steps. The last coat I painted was the base coat (if that makes any sense) This would be the main background color = tan.
    10x7btc.jpg

the pic you see here is after I painted everything tan, and the last step from here is to simply peel off all of the tape to reveal the different colors and patterns.

finished product.
    2z9czdf.jpg

6ixkt5.jpg

I'm pleased how crisply it made the lines turn out. You will see in the last pic, a little bit of flaking. Properly alowing the previous coat to dry would help, along with using quality paint. Handling the tape while i cut out my little patterns helped take some of the sticky off the back. I don't thing you are going to remove paint from under the tape when you take it off. This method does waste paint (I used very little actually) compared to other ways of doing things and seems a little backward, but I think it also solves a few problems associated with other ways of stencilling. You don't have to use digicam. Woodland, tigerstripe, or anyother cammo style or pattern could be done using this method. Hope this helps and someone can improve upon this if they can.

Re: another damn painting tutorial but different

You might try using regular masking tape to help prevent the paint from coming off. It is not as tacky as duct tape. You can also take some of the tack off the tape by sticking it to a t-shirt and pulling it off. The cotton nap keeps down the tackiness.

by the time i handled the tape while cutting it, it just barely stuck anyway. the problem was that white paint sucked (krylon) and didn't stick half as good as the other brands.

Done the same thing to a Factory bdl remmy stock last year. Did an odd shape pattern you might say. Took pieces of masking tape and started tearing them into different odd shaped pieces. Took and painted in four layers also. Problem I had to was the damn krylon primer and white didn't stick worth a damn. Left it set for a couple week and still looks good today. Did one about the same this year, but I put the gun in a homemade oven and heated it to about 140 degrees and then painted it. Turned out pretty and paint is still sticking, other than where I hit it getting in and out of the truck and such. I know this way sure does make a big barrel look like a straight taper with all the layers of paint on it.

I would have to agree and say duracoat is by far a better product. But the job looks good for kryon and duct tape.
    Nice digital job!

Nice job ewoaf! Nifty what a guy can do for himself with a little thought and effort. I would say it turned out real well.