• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another Defiance masterpiece! Tube gun style.....

strictlyRUM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2006
Redmond Oregon
Well Glen did it again! I told him what I want and he made it happen. Again I am assured that the boys at Defiance are some of the nicest and most tallented guys in the industry.

Before I get into details I would like to thank all the guys that have been patient while I deal with personal and health issues. The guys here on the hide are a better breed than most. I havent been the easiest guy to get ahold of and have been taking longer getting things done than I would care to. Fact is I am blessed being able to take a step back and deal with these things. Thanks to all.

Enough of that on to the important stuff..... I told glen that I wanted an action that I could shoot any thing from 308 class to lapua class. I like the idea of the tube actions that he worked on for the short chasis. One thing I didnt care for was the extremely long thread engagement length. I wanted more meat around the chamber area for the lapua and variants. I originally asked for him to shorten the front down. I also wanted the magazine port to be long enough to accept the extended magazines. IE the wyatts drop mag or seekins mag. He replied. "I got just the combo that will work. I think. This action doesnt have no flies on it!"
So away he went and came up with a combination of different actions, that resulted in one bad ass action. A platform for multi callibers that gives nothing up anywhere. He stretched the bolt around half in so that we can have a bigger mag port and ALOT more metal in the lugs. This will greatly reduce any brass stretch/deflection in the action from the much larger lug abutment. It also shortened the thread engagement down to a still very long 1.100. I tried to show everything in the pics because I am not sure of my wording or my abillity to explain things in a way that most would understand.

With the greater distance in the front. (chamber to magazine release point) I was unsure of the feeding of the smaller rounds like the 308. Well I havent built the bottom metal for the longer mags yet but with the short bottom metal that came with the tube stock, it fed 308 in the current barrel and even 223 into a barrel stub I fitted up. The 223 worked in my setup but I could see where it may be finicky if not setup exactly right. With the bolt diameter of .750 not .700 I did have to shorten the mag catch by .030 to get reliable feeding. Anyone that has the RTM would be able to do that with standard sander or dremel or whatever. I truely believe this is a great platform for the precision shooter. It may look like an irrigation pipe but it feals like an extension of me. I plan on shooting everything to high power/ prone matches to hunting elk in the high country with an ABS 338 barrel I have coming in the next couple weeks. With the addition of the CIP mag bottom metal that Gary plans on doing soon it makes this a very versitile platform.

As with anything there are things I like and things I dont like. Or would change rather. I will post some of the things I will be changing in the future given things calm down and I can spend some time out here. Mainly lightening and making parts that may a bit more resistant to the abuse of some of you guys!(you know who you are!) Anywho here are the pics. I got to get busy while I can. Thanks

Jason

I have left alot out but you can get specs on the tube stock from Competition shooting stuff. Gary Elisio is a great guy to deal with and fast service. The action is Glen Harrisons baby from Defiance. You can order directly from him or any one of us that have our actions built by them. Thanks again Glen for pushing our sport and lifestyle further forward!

A pic of the monster action compared to a normal long action remmy
tubegun004.jpg

Monster bolt compared to normal notice .750 diameter and added length of lugs and bolt body
tubegun005.jpg

A pic showing built in recoil lug
tubegun003.jpg

Assembled
tubegun002.jpg

tubegun001.jpg

Changeable bolt stop for different bottom metal changes(lengths)
tubegun007.jpg

Re: Another Defiance masterpiece! Tube gun style.....

Nice, I'm exited about my first rifle built with a defiance action in progress now.

Jason,
Looks pretty cool, those actions are nice for sure. Glad to hear that things are going well. Still need to try and get a build done with you sometime!!

Well she shoots! I just threw some varget/sceenar loads together. I went pretty safe with it being a bartlein tight bore barrel. 46.0 grains and it was 2780 avg over six shots. Both groups were around .3. After getting my zero I tried some load testing. All groups were under .8(typical 308) but at 47.0 grains I am still only getting 2870 avg. From what I have read I should be around the high side of 2900. These are lapua palma(small primer) brass so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it but I will try a bit stiffer load.

Oh and Oregonmuley good to see you over here. I will PM you with some current info.

Jason

That is very cool, I love the idea. I take it you just have the action bolted in?

Hey, I was born and raised in Lebanon Oregon. I didn't think anything this nice ever came out of that place!

I mean, not since I left.
whistle.gif

VERY nice build there!

Building one of these as we speak. Out of curiousity. what does it weigh complete with scope?

Thanks
Adam

Ugly, I will be looking to do some shooting soon. The 338 barrel will be here next week then its on!

Adam, I am not sure on the weight. The big scale is broken. It is now only 20 inches long. My practical side won out. For what few prone matches and highpower matches I shoot I will shoot optics and dont need the long barrel.

I will be doing some more velocity testing today with small primers vs the large. Its a bit warmer here so it may not be as noticeable. The last few times I have gone out its been 30 degrees and with the small primers that means 200 FPS! No hangfires but just slow.

Here she is now. I added a bag rider, which is hollow so its not too heavy and I pressed in a stainless threaded insert so it would be a little better than the alluminum its made of. I cut the cheek piece back a bit so I could get it lower cause I hate high rings. Its getting a bit more natural to shoot also.

tubegun010.jpg

Jason

Glad to see Glen is up and running. I have a Nesika from back in the Washington days. Sad that Dakota screwed so many people. He does excellent work.