• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another dumb question....

308saiga

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
South Florida
So I have read description on some barrels that it is 1:XX & the last 1/4 is counterbored. Is this what they mean by counterbore (see pic)? The barrel in the middle.....

NewBitmapImage.jpg

If so, what is the purpose or theory behind this? Would it not have been better to put a target crown on it?

I have seen barrel like this before but I thought that they where sleeved not counterbored.....

Thanks guys & gals.... I am yet to see any ladies here.... No lady snipers out there?

Re: Another dumb question....

Google is your friend.

I'll go easy on you though.

The middle barrel has a recessed crown, it helps protect the crown from damage.

Counterboring is when the rifling is drilled out of the muzzle of the barrel and will be much deeper (1/4"+) and not as oversized as that. It can improve accuracy in a gun when you don't want to cut and re-crown it. (Seen frequently on Mosin Nagants)

[OT_Rant]: What's with EVERYONE ending their posts with "I'm just saying". That's like prefacing something with "No offense but. . ." Seems like an excuse to be less polite than you could be.[/OT_Rant]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Google is your friend.

I'll go easy on you though.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The middle barrel has a recessed crown, it helps protect the crown from damage</span>.

Counterboring is when the rifling is drilled out of the muzzle of the barrel and will be much deeper (1/4"+) and not as oversized as that. It can improve accuracy in a gun when you don't want to cut and re-crown it. (Seen frequently on Mosin Nagants)

[OT_Rant]: What's with EVERYONE ending their posts with "I'm just saying". That's like prefacing something with "No offense but. . ." Seems like an excuse to be less polite than you could be.[/OT_Rant] </div></div>

First thank you for your polite answer. <span style="font-weight: bold">This is what I thought, and makes perfect since....</span>

I understand rifling so here is my real question...

I have read descriptions on rifles that state 1:XX and the "last 1/4" is counterbored, Why would anyone want to (or to what purpose) make the round coming out of the barrel twist the opposite way? Would that not decrease the spin rate and make the round less accurate? I realize that these manufactures have been around for years and should trust them and what they put out, but I would like to understand the purpose....

I did google counterboring and it did come up with a picture that I posted, so I naturally thought that I was totally wrong in my thinking, so not to look even more stupid, I posted what I knew was wrong in the first place......

Once again thanks for your input....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thank you for your polite answer.</div></div>
I do try
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308saiga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would anyone want to (or to what purpose) make the round coming out of the barrel twist the opposite way?</div></div>
I'm not sure I understand this question though. Could you link to one or more of these manufacturer's websites where they have these barrel descriptions?

The term 'counterbored' doesn't refer to the twist of the barrel, it refers to a technique by which the last 1/4" of the rifling is removed from the end of the barrel.

Every time a bullet leaves the barrel, there hot gas pushing the bullet out of the barrel. These hot gasses tear up the rifling at the muzzle of the weapon. The change in the rifling can negatively affect the accuracy of the weapon, and one of the ways to clean up the muzzle rifling is to 'cut and recrown.' By doing this, the barrel is cut shorter and the crown recut. Another method of cleaning up the muzzle rifling is to counterbore the muzzle -- jjust remove the rifling altogether at the muzzle end, leaving only clean rifling for the bullet to exit the barrel. The accuracy returns, and the barrel length remains the same.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The term 'counterbored' doesn't refer to the twist of the barrel, <span style="font-weight: bold">it refers to a technique by which the last 1/4" of the rifling is removed from the end of the barrel. </span>

Every time a bullet leaves the barrel, there hot gas pushing the bullet out of the barrel. These hot gasses tear up the rifling at the muzzle of the weapon. The change in the rifling can negatively affect the accuracy of the weapon, and one of the ways to clean up the muzzle rifling is to 'cut and recrown.' By doing this, the barrel is cut shorter and the crown recut. Another method of cleaning up the muzzle rifling is to counterbore the muzzle -- jjust remove the rifling altogether at the muzzle end, leaving only clean rifling for the bullet to exit the barrel. The accuracy returns, and the barrel length remains the same. </div></div>

OK now it makes a lot of since... Thanks