• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another dumb question.

RanchRifle

Enjoys doing it poorly.
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Intermountain West
If anyone has a Osprey Defense piston kit installed, how long is the stroke on your operating rod before it contacts your barrel nut?

Gosh, I ran to answer a dumb question, but I am dumber than the post, or the post is not dumb at all. I have never heard of an Osprey piston kit. I only know Adams Arms, and then some of the great guns that come with pistons like LRCW and HK and Barrett.

Small Arms Review did a video on the Osprey 416 piston conversion (https://www.full30.com/video/8fc064a60bfdc6a1c67c67ca622d4839). I don't know if this is the current version. In the vid, the op rod looks to move less than an inch before making contact with the GI barrel nut.

Op rod full forward:
Untitled1.jpg

Op rod fully rearward:
Untitled2.jpg

You folks are great! Actually, that video is perfect. Looks like it moves until the swell at the head of the piston is still just inside the chamber. That will let me measure. Time to get the endmill spun up!