• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Enfield. Because I felt sorry for it.

BobC

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2010
Maine
This time it's a 1941 Long Branch built at the Long Branch Arsenal near Toronto Canada.
when I first got it it looked like this. Bubba had a little fun but mercifully he left the metal pretty much intact.
114_4774.jpg

After a lot of scrounging online and some elbow grease it turned out like this.
Picture009-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

It still needs some work and I have some parts that will need to be replaced with correct ones as they are found but it is much better.
A couple pictures of it with the Savage built Enfield I posted before.
Picture035-1-1.jpg

Picture033-1.jpg

It's hard to see in the picture but the two rifles are not identical. the differences are a little deeper than the color of the stock.
The Long Branch was built in 1941 and is an early production No.4 Mk1.
the savage was built in 1943 and is a No.4 Mk1*. The * in the designation indicates that it is a later production rifle that in North American built Enfield No.4's means that it incorporated design changes to speed up production. British built rifles remained No.4 Mk1's with no * throughout the war.

Re: Another Enfield. Because I felt sorry for it.

Good save, the picture of the rifle when you first bought it looks terrible. Like you said, Bubba got to it.

those are just great looking rifles....the first pic.....I dunno what to say about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jester8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good save, the picture of the rifle when you first bought it looks terrible. Like you said, Bubba got to it. </div></div>

+1

Someone really did their best to f it up. Glad you were able to save it.

BobC- you deserve a medal!
wink.gif

Great to see another great rifle saved from the worst excesses of the garage hacker!!

Good on yer!

GOOD GRIEF!!! Bubba needs to be beaten within an inch of his life for doing that to that poor Enfield!!

Nice working bringing it back toward its original glory!

I love my .303, was the first rifle I purchased, literally, I bought it on my 18th birthday. Those sporterized version were a travesty. Used to see them at the gunshows all the time when I was a kid, my dad even gought one once. Thanks for saving another Enfield.

Good job on restoration of the Enfield. Now if we could get any decent surplus ammo.

good work unbubbafying this historical piece, they do look the same to me though
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good job on restoration of the Enfield. Now if we could get any decent surplus ammo. </div></div>
Privi Partizan 174 Grain FMJ BT is supposed to be close to military issue ball ammo and is farly reasonably priced though not as cheap as surplus ammo would be. The above rifle seams to like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good work unbubbafying this historical piece, they do look the same to me though
smile.gif
</div></div>
They are basically the same. Almost all parts will interchange between them. The major differences are the rear sight. bolt release and the barrel. Other than these it is mostly cosmetic. I think the biggest difference would have to be the barrel. The early rifles like the Long Branch above had a 5 groove barrel while a good portion of latter production models like the above Savage had a 2 groove barrel as did some 03 Springfields I believe. They both were still 1 in 10 twist.