• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Another Ionbonding/Coating question for my M2008

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Sending my Badger M2008 in to be Ionbonded and I'm curious about something.

When most shops coat an action, in whatever finish you choose, do they remove these small parts and spray separately....or will they leave them on the action/bolt?

Side bolt release?
M-16 style extractor?
Ejector button?

Ionbond is no longer taking direct work, but I have a certificate won at a match so I'll be mailing straight to them and I told them that I'd send the parts as stripped down as possible (barrel off, bolt knob off, etc). I'm wondering if I need to pull these little pieces as well. If so, anyone know what size of punch I'll need....and can I reuse the roll pins or do I need new ones?

Thanks for some help.
Jason

PS....should I Ionbond the FTE break or leave as is from Badger?

Re: Another Ionbonding/Coating question for my M2008

From what I read on the process the guy at IonBond is a smith and he says that you can break your stuff down or he will do it and I think he also said it would be assembled by him to check for fit/function. Always best to call and get the facts of course.

Re: Another Ionbonding/Coating question for my M2008

Ryan Flynn is no longer there, I think he was the guy you're speaking of. They now have you go through another outfit so I'm wondering if the other outfit is doing the teardown and reassembly. Since I'm not going through them I was wondering if other coaters "painted" these small parts in place.

Re: Another Ionbonding/Coating question for my M20

The small parts need to be removed for the best finish.

Roll pins can be reused if they still fit snug.

I would try to remove the pieces before so you can keep up with the springs and pins removed.

RAD...thanks.

Got some more punches at Home Depot today, expanded my shade tree gunsmithing skill set a bit more and pulled it all completely apart. Now if I can find a place to use my Dremel this project will be complete
smile.gif

I'm getting excited to see the finished project.....a few more weeks!

I send in my Surgeon 338 action. I had it all torn down and it came back that way. Looks great. Black as a whores heart.

What is the cost of having a barreled action done?