• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another K-31 thread, this time on elevations

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
So, I had posted in the "Sweet K-31" thread that is still active, but going off on a tangent here, I'm trying to get a reasonable elevation correction for the settings on the K-31 rifle.

First, I took my calipers and measured from the top of the rear sight blade boss down to the blade. That = .040"
I then measured from the Boss down to the squarest point I could find, the flat edge of the lower stock along the barrel. That = 1.030" Subracting the blade from boss elevation height, I came out with .990" which is my 100 yd. zero.

From there I moved the sight up to 800 (meters) which gave me a 1.230". Subtracting the .040" again, that gave me 1.190" Subtracting my 100 yd. zero (.990") gave me a convenient .200". 800 meters was what I held dead on to get hits at 1k with GP-11 ammo.

Using the same points of measure and subtracting, I came up with an elevation increase of .015" when moving from 800 to 900. 900 was the point of aim where I held a 6 o'clock to get hits @ 1k.

The distance between the back of my front sight to the back of my rear sight is 22.25" almost exactly. Close enough, that's what I'll call it.

So to figure out moa for the whole thing I first went through the standard math to get moa (1/60)sin=.00029088(...) I then multiplied that by 22.25 to get .006472(...) That figure is what it takes to make an moa change @ 100 yds. I then divided .200 by that figure and it comes up about 31 moa. (total height divided by height of each moa).

I I used the same process for the .215" of 900 and came up with about 33moa for my loads getting to 1k.

When I work these two loads up on computer drop charts I come up with a lot more elevation needed to get to 1k.

Anybody got any ideas on how to correct this or measure a more substantial resolution?

Added:

Atmospheric conditions were: 78 deg., alt. 2670, 40 humidity. velocity estimated at 2650 as that's what I chronoed out of that rifle with GP-11. On my 500 yd. hits my ammo was higher than GP-11 by a little bit, so thinking 2700.