• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Another Kestrel ? concerning Altitude....

Sniper1*

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2006
Rochester, IN
I have a 4000 and I have the Altitude ref in the Baro screen set to zero so I am working with Station Pressure. In the Altitude Screen I have the Baro ref set to what ever it said the day I set the altitude to zero (which is 30.01).

First - should the Baro ref in the altitude screen be something different, like standard pressure for my AO, or is this correct?

Second - Speaking of Altitude - when I go to the range one day I may get a reading of 750' ASL - Next time out, standing in very nearly the same spot, I get 400' ASL. Why the big change in Altitude?

I also have it set to give me DA,which is what I am starting to convert to, but, it makes me wonder of the numbers are off on that too.

Damn, the technology, if it weren't for that, shooting would be fun...... Instead, I am scratching my head more than smiling at a good shot.....

Thanks,

Re: Another Kestrel ? concerning Altitude....

Don't quote me on this. Don't have a Kestrel 4000. My weather meter varies the altitude based on the baro. pressure,and will not repeat from day to day. I do most of my shooting up the mountain just outside of town (Boise, Id). There is an altitude sigh that I pass on the way up. If I set the meter at the sigh I am good to go. But it almost always has to be set every time due to the change in baro. press. from day to day. Hope this helps. Paul.
cool.gif

It sounds like it is giving da as a reference to standard alt. I have seen 1k swings on a given day with da. My range is 570ish altitude in true elevation. Also what does the da say in relation to the readings in elevation?

Changed in barometric pressure.

That's one reason pilots always check their altimeters before takeoff, so they won't try to fly their airplanes below ground level.

Set both to zero. Neither will affect DA. But if you set ref. in alt. or baro it is going
recalibrate the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Set both to zero. Neither will affect DA. But if you set ref. in Alt or Baro, then it is going to recalibrate the other.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper1*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 4000 and I have the Altitude ref in the Baro screen set to zero so I am working with Station Pressure. In the Altitude Screen I have the Baro ref set to what ever it said the day I set the altitude to zero (which is 30.01).

First - should the Baro ref in the altitude screen be something different, like standard pressure for my AO, or is this correct?

Second - Speaking of Altitude - when I go to the range one day I may get a reading of 750' ASL - Next time out, standing in very nearly the same spot, I get 400' ASL. Why the big change in Altitude?

I also have it set to give me DA,which is what I am starting to convert to, but, it makes me wonder of the numbers are off on that too.

Damn, the technology, if it weren't for that, shooting would be fun...... Instead, I am scratching my head more than smiling at a good shot.....

Thanks, </div></div>

The big jump in elevation is because the barometric pressure is slowly but constantly changing.