• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another Leupold goes down.

Woodlanddude

Professional Hillbilly
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2007
Beckley, WV
Mark 4 LR/T M3 3.5-10 SFP. Parallax adjustment quit working after finding my max range. (you can actually push a 175smk out of a 308 fast enough to get to 1300yds at a D.A. of 4000'+) Anyway dialing 56moa for the first time to shoot it there the parallax adjustmet just quit working. I took off the turret cover and moved it by the stop bolt and still no go. dropped it down to 40moa and got it to work a little bit. Went to 56 again and dialed to 0 and nothing at all now. I guess I'll be testing the customer service dept. in about a week when I get a chance to mail it out. Plan on reporting service results here. Three years and about 1500 rounds behind it.

Re: Another Leupold goes down.

Woodlanddude,

You've now found the end all be all of scopes ain't what it used to be. Threw mine away 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Leupold service ain't what it should be either. Hopefully they help you out and do the right thing. Good luck!

Always had great service from them myself, totally replaced a scope last year with a new one.

I have one to go out as well, it’s a 6-18 vxIII on a varmit rig. The adj obj indicator ring is spinning with the obj....I am anticipating good CS from Leupold...I will report back.

It's a scope. God didn't hand make it.
Scopes that God did not personally assemble are going to break, no matter what name is stamped on them.

I had one of their lazer rangefinders go bad recently - no inclination readings.

i sent it in for repairs. They sent me a new replacement.

Years ago i dropped 'their' binoculars - messed up the focus adjustment. They fixed it and it is still working after about 15 years.

The Polish Handgunner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish people would start listening to me! </div></div>

Did you say something?

Leupold's rep was not bad that long ago. Premier had built them up pretty good as a matter of fact. I may have had the scope closer to 4 years now.(Premier still had a notice about the Leupold fallout on their site-I wanted to buy from them but they were done with sales already). They apparently fell far before the real grumbling began. S&B was not even available in the Military version at the time. Nightforce I had no experience with at the time and was the only other option I considered. The Vari-x III scopes I had used for years never failed me as they were built before the apparent downslide in quality. I had hoped they would come back, but if they have moved production overseas as I have read I guess another option for optics will have to be explored for future new scope purchases(Most similarly priced-Nightforce). On the other hand I have seen and heard of most brands of scopes going down at one time or the other. I just want to add more info. for those staying informed on quality of available products.

as far as my interactions with Leupold customer service , they are prompt , friendly and kept me informed with what was going on with my scope ;

i recently, (last month) sent in a mk4 m1 4.5-14x50 TMR illum. scope for parallax being broke -

they send me a card / letter stating they received it, and were fixing it ; this took place at around the 8th day of it being gone from my possesion;

at around day 15 , i received the scope back ; fixed, with a complete report as to what was wrong, what they did, and the collimation test report, they performed before sending it back to me.

in summary , my scope is now mechanically sound -

no complaints and as a side note , this scope had been kryloned with tan and green paint by me; for those that worry about painting one, voiding the warranty, apparently it does not

this is one of four Leupold scopes i own , and the first to break;

i do not baby them but i do use quality rings, bases, and keep a scope pad or scope taco on them

two have traveled via airlines to oklahoma, florida and texas;

these same two (this scope mk4 m1 and a mk4 m3) have traveled via car to texas, oklahoma , florida, alabama, etc., on the guns and all experienced no trouble with use in competitions, matches, or just range work

there are other options out there , sure ; but Leupold hasn't lost my business - i use them with confidence

I agree with banshee. I'll admit my interest for Leupy's in the future will probably be for older models (for a while anyway) but they've just performed too well for me in the past for me to change my mind because of a few stories now. Considering anything to be the "end all be all" of any piece of gear is IMO stupidity. Perfection has and will have only excisted one time on this planet (since Eden anyway).

okie

I agree. I have had quite a few Leupolds and they have all performed great. The little experience I have had with their CS has been great, but I typically buy my glass from Scott, so it doesnt really matter.

I know some guys look down on Leupy no matter what, but when you factor in the number of Leupolds out there, I bet the numbers(assuming someone could get <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> numbers) wouldnt be bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pistol Pete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woodlanddude,

You've now found the end all be all of scopes ain't what it used to be. Threw mine away 6 years ago and haven't looked back. Leupold service ain't what it should be either. Hopefully they help you out and do the right thing. Good luck! </div></div>

I have heard (and agree myself) that Leupold are some of the best bang for the buck optics, but cant recall anyone ever calling them the "end all be all" optic. At least not on forums pertaining to precision shooting.

To paraphrase coach AO "Bum" Phillips, there are two kinds of scopes, them that's been broken and them that's gonna be broken".

Well, maybe not every scope, but if you are buying any variable with illum reticle and all the bells and whistles, chances are you might need your warranty someday.

I sent a mark4 16x in about two years ago to have the reticle cleaned or replaced. Got it back in 10 days, and about 7-8 days was transit time going by Priority Mail. I probably have their blue form letter somewhere in the shop detailing the repair and checkout.

The more complex an instrument, the more likely it will require service. I like fixed power tactical scopes.

Recieved scope back today. I finally got it to leupold on 7/3 and they shipped it back out on 7/22. The scope was only moving 5moa L and 10 moa verticle(down) when they got it, so I guess it was goobered good. Service was definitely prompt and the guys on the phone were excellent to deal with and had all my info handy when I called a week back to check on my scope. I will put it back on the rifle and test it out next! Happy with service. If they could only bring their failure rate back down!!! This scope recieved only "average" use for 3 years and was relatively treated nicely for a tactical scope. Will report back on testing. Travel adjustment they claim is now 47 up, 43 down, 43 left, and 47 rt of center.
Matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a scope. God didn't hand make it.
Scopes that God did not personally assemble are going to break, no matter what name is stamped on them.</div></div>A scope shouldn't break after a simple adjustment like that. Ask those who have used them in earnest, whose SOP's include packing an extra Leupold for when the first one breaks from routine use. A proper solution to this problem can be found well below God on the food chain.

Son of a Gun(at work). I just placed the scope on a level and the reticle is obviously canted to the tune of about 2.5deg left via a protractor. Guess I'll be on the phone with them. Shipping insured is not cheap either!

to date i have sent back 4 scopes to Leupold....all came back in a timely manner working well.....

I bought a brand new Mk4 2.5-8x36M2 and it was defective out of the box. Obj. lens was loose and as a result 6-8x power was out of focus. Leupold gave me a call tag, I sent it in, they priority mailed(2 day air shipped) me a brand new one and its been working fine. I own 4 leupold scopes, only one was bad (albeit a factory defect) and they made good on it, replaced it no questions asked and express mailed the new one back to me. Their customer service seems pretty good to me.

Frank,
Yes, I've heard they haven't liked to fix some of these reticles recently. I hope I can convince them its worthless to me with this much cant in it. You would imagine if they eyeballed it they could get it closer. Bolt, the parallax is fixed, and adjusts smoother, and the turrets snap crisply in comparison to their previous "spongy" clicks. They sent me a call tag to ship it back, and the tech on the phone said they will fix it. I have no stance for/against Leupold at this point in time as I see no point in mounting the scope up and burning ammo testing it out until the reticle is fixed. I didn't have a problem before, and expect that they will turn it around pretty quick again. I am obviously hoping this turns out well as no funds for a replacement can be seen for a while. I'll let you know!

leupold is good to go. never had an issue with my mark 4 when i had it. too many people repeat the "bad" stories on the internet and make it their own.

Woodland dude, glad to hear that Leupold is at least attempting to correct the problems. Did you purchase the scope new and did they give an eta on the reticle fix? MIne's in a similar state.

A guy at work got an old Leupold from his dad. I don't remember the model but the tube was slightly bent. He sent it in, told them he wasn't the orig. owner, didn't know what caused the damage, etc. We kind of figured they'd say "tough"...

They sent him a new VX-III for free which was the comparable current model to the old one he'd sent them.

I've been looking for an old broken one ever since.

Have a couple of MK4's... great optics. Sent a few scopes back for upgrades... great service. They do stand behind their product !!!

I bought the scope new from Scott Powers 3 years ago. It has been carried in a gunslinger and rode around in a cheap drag bag often, but never unecessarily beat around or impacted hard ever. It performed quite satisfactorily up until this problem arose! I am certain the reticle was at the very least much straighter than it is now prior to service. They did not mention turn around time at this point. No reason to expect any different than the first time, which I thought reasonable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pistolpete75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">leupold is good to go. never had an issue with my mark 4 when i had it. too many people repeat the "bad" stories on the internet and make it their own. </div></div>

Ditto

I've had issues with 5 Leupolds. Each was fixed and returned promptly. When you have returned so many scopes that you can go to UPS and fill out the shipping form by MEMORY- it's time to buy another brand.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodlanddude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Son of a Gun(at work). I just placed the scope on a level and the reticle is obviously canted to the tune of about 2.5deg left via a protractor. Guess I'll be on the phone with them. Shipping insured is not cheap either! </div></div>

Maybe your reticle is canted; maybe it is not?

Mount your scope on your rifle and check it out with a boresighter that has a collimating grid. (Bushnell 74-3333 has been one of the most used and useful rifle maintenance tools I've ever bought.) Maybe a local gunsmith has one you can use on a walk-in basis?

Are you using a bubble-level to orient your rifle as you shoot? Are you certain you need to? Most people, David Tubb included, cant their rifle somewhat since their body is not perfect in geometric terms.

Am rather skeptical of your testing procedures with "level and protractor" What really matters is orientation to barrel and base precision with mate-up to receiver. When you use a collimator grid boresighting tool, you achieve correct orientation of scope to barrel. If reticle is not coincident with collimator grid, then you have a problem. IF reticle won't move inline with collimator grid; you have a problem. If you presume the scope is defective because the reticle is not perfectly coincident with the housing, you are making an error. Doesn't matter how the reticle squares to the tube IF the reticle tracks the collimating grid and click values are correct.

Yup! Leupold used to be relly good about tking care of any problems. I have heard stories like these from several officers.

I've never had an issue with my Mk4, but at the same time I look after my gear so...

If they would get their head around the .1 MRAD and FFP then things would be alot nicer though.

I bought one of their cheapie scopes for a few hundred. Its been returned a few times , fixed. I think it cost them more money than it is worth, and I will keep sending them back as long as it keeps breaking with their lifetime warranty. Do I trust the scope, hell no. But it was cheap for my 22. Do I like sending it back, no, but hey if it looks new each time I send it back, everytime its off or breaks its going to be sent back on their dime.

PA, that's a good point! And eventually, they may do an overhaul on it and you might get a problem-free scope!