• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another LPVO Question/Answer/Battle Post

10ring'r

Old, Fat, Grumpy, Gimpy and have no F's to give!
Minuteman
  • Apr 9, 2019
    The Cold&Humid North
    Ok all you glass "whores". I'm debating on upgrading my 1x6 LPVO scope on a 16" Gen. Purpose AR.
    Don't hate me, but I have narrowed my choices down to 4 different reticles from 2 different manufactures. Vortex "Strike Eagle" and Primary Arms SLx, both 1x8's ( I know, SK and chinesium). My question is...PA has the ACSS "Raptor" M2(FFP) and the ACSS 5.56/.308(SFP). Both in MOA. Vortex "Strike Eagle" has the AR-BDC3(SFP) and the EBR-8 MOA(FFP) reticles.
    I have read the descriptions, watched videos, and have a pretty good understanding of their use.
    I'm 65 y.o., wear glasses, don't compete(except 600yd. shoots), and don't "Run and Gun". I'm kinda leaning towards the ACSS "Raptor" reticle, due to the fact, it's not real cluttered, seems simple to use (90% of my shooting is at known distances), and I can range with it. The ACSS 5.56, seems a little "busy", but I still understand the use behind it. Now for Vortex...both have, in my opinion, "busy" reticles. I have a PST Gen 2, that has the EBR-7c FFP on my precision AR and like it. This gun is used for plinking, steel, paper, hunting, or whatever else I would need a tool for. Is it better to have FFP, or 2nd? Yes, I do know how each works. Given the 4 choices, which reticle would you pick (yes, subjective)? Since a couple of them are BDC reticles, would you just bypass those? I don't really care for them. I have one and it's not real accurate with the ammo I use.
    I'm ready for the hate and :poop: throwing, I have very thick skin, and I can handle it.
    I was going to ask this in an active post, but didn't want to derail it.
    Thanks to all and any commentary I receive on this. Now Let the battle begin...
    Mac(y)
    ETA: Koshkin if you're out there...I respect your opinion, also.(y)

Last edited:
    Right now PA has a huge open box sale... And these are normally $450...

This won't be beat by anything on your list... Also, since you're not running and gunning, limiting yourself to a BDC reticle is not a smart idea, IMO. I personally can't stand BDC reticles. I'd much rather have the versatility of a true MIL or MOA stadia reticle that allows you to put the scope on something else later, if you decide to. I have had a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP for many years, and have 2 of these linked below. I bought one, and didn't expect much for the price. Was so impressed, I bought a 2nd one for when I decide to put it on something else (it's still in the box new). The ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle is a solid reticle. I'm very happy with both of mine. And the glass and literally everything about this scope is WAY better than the Strike Eagle SFP.

IMG_6587.jpeg
    IMG_6585.jpeg

Last edited:
    Reactions: 10ring'r
    Right now PA has a huge open box sale... And these are normally $450...

This won't be beat by anything on your list... Also, since you're not running and gunning, limiting yourself to a BDC reticle is not a smart idea, IMO. I personally can't stand BDC reticles. I'd much rather have the versatility of a true MIL or MOA stadia reticle that allows you to put the scope on something else later, if you decide to. I have had a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP for many years, and have 2 of these linked below. I bought one, and didn't expect much for the price. Was so impressed, I bought a 2nd one for when I decide to put it on something else (it's still in the box new). The ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle is a solid reticle. I'm very happy with both of mine. And the glass and literally everything about this scope is WAY better than the Strike Eagle SFP.

View attachment 8296825View attachment 8296826
    I have to admit it, I'm kinda a Vortex Whore. I have three others, and have never had to send any of them in. BUT...I don't beat the :poop: out of my guns. They get banged around, but not on purpose. I have never looked thru a PA scope, but videos I have seen, the glass seems pretty clear. I need to look thru one so I can judge for myself. I agree with you on the BDC reticles, I'd rather use a ballistic program, work out my own dope, make my scope stickers, and go shoot. That's why I'm leaning toward the ACSS "Raptor" reticle. Seems clean and functional (quick to get on target with and ranging seems simple enough). With BDC turrets, they never line up, and I always seem to be a click, or two off, one way or the other. AND, don't get me started on MOA turrets, with MIL reticles.
    Thanks for the reply! Oh, nice rifle/scope kit! Mac(y)

Reactions: FuhQ