• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

another mosin 91/30 range trip,

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
hey guys, got some more range time in on monday. good thing is i was able to hit the 50 yard target everytime, even hit the 100 hard a few times and almost hit the 200. now the bad news. i am still the right. i wan't able to move the site over the right before this trip, so i was aiming to the left, but i guess just not far enough to the left. i'd appreciate if you take a look and if you have any feedback it would greatly appreciated, thanks

50 yard target i was aiming at the target in the bottom left hand corner, you can see the first 3 are pretty far off, but the next 2 groups were alot closer just not close together

i was just thinking, how close should my groups me, i know they won't be perfect, but surely they can get a little better than they are now

EDIT: after looking closer, i think the first group i was aiming at the center line, not the far left, the other 2 were defiantly far left(i really need to start taking notes while out there)

ignore the top whole, my buddy shot a few rounds after me, but he was no where near close

[img:left]
P1000299.jpg
[/img]

Re: another mosin 91/30 range trip,

Is that target 50, 100, or 200?

Assuming its 100, if you get the zero worked out, it looks like its capable of cleaning the 200 yard NRA target used in CMP GSM matches.

Personally I'd move the front sight where it hits center so you don't have any hold overs.

The elevation can be fixed. Then work on you Standing, prone, and prone rapid fire, then take in a few CMP GSM matches.

The Mosins will do it. Our last match was won by a guy shooting his brand new (to him) Mosin with surplus ammo.

What ammo are you using? That's quite a bit of vertical string on top of the windage issues.

kraigWY- it was at 50 yards, the front site is also dead center, i have just been aiming to the left, knowing it shoots right.

bcw1284- it was the Tula 147 grain i believe, and it was pretty windy but i did try and time my shots when the wind died down

i'm also trying to use the same ammo while sighting it in, untill i am happy with the result, i figure this way it will be one less variable to worry about.

any other ideas as to get my groups closer together?

i had considered adding one of the leapers accue mounts that mount on the rear sites, along with a scout/pistol scope to see if that would help any, cost me about $60 and i could change back to orginal any time, if i go this route it will be to help cut down my frustration level and to see if this thing will actually shoot better, ideally i'd like to be in the 3" moa at 100, i'd be pretty happy with that, anything better is just added bonus

To me, those groups are saying that there's a problem with the way the action is seated. The vertical stringing is usually a sure sign of loose action screws, or a worn stock that needs to be shimmed. This is assuming, of course, that it's not the trigger and/or the way you're pulling it. Was this target shot from a bench/rest/bags?

joop, all shots are from a bag, riffle sitting on bag just a little in front of where the magazine is. screws are tight as i keep checking, is it possible i can't get them tight enough? i know the stock is in pretty rough shape, not like one of the refurbs you get and it looks good. if it is the stock, would it be worth it to shim it or just upgrade to a boyds?

The stock inlet could be worn/compressed and causing your screws to bottom out. To check this, count how many turns you get on the screws, with the stock on. Then, take the action out of the stock and do the same thing. If you get more turns on the screws with the stock off, then the screws aren't bottoming out. If it's the same, then they are.

Also, sit the action in the stock, without the screws or magazine in place. Put your thumb on the tang (rear of the receiver where the rear screw goes through) and check to see if you can rock the action back and forth by pushing on the tang and, if so, how much motion is there?

If your receiver is tight and pretty much level in the stock, move on to checking the barrel...

Next, with the screws tightened (always tighten the front screw first, by the way) and the handguard off, do a free-float test by running a dollar bill/thin strip of paper under the barrel, between it and the stock. Start back by the rear sight and move forward all the way to the end. Take note of any spots that you cannot slide the paper through, as this is where it's pressing on the barrel.

To start with, you want the barrel floating. However, you'll end up using either a card shim in the handguard (quick and easy), or wrapping the barrel with either teflon tape or oiled felt, at the area under the front band. This is something that the aftermarket stocks won't allow you to do and is why a lot of sporterized Mosins shoot so poorly, unless the barrels are cut down, as well.

I forgot to ask; how's the trigger? The first thing I would do, is smooth out the trigger, then check the action/barrel as described above. If you have questions on any of this, feel free to shoot me a PM.

John

thanks joop, i know there is a little play in the action where the rear screw goes, i remember that much for sure. and the barrel is floated, i did that after my first trip to the range.

as for the trigger, don't have much to compare to as this is my only rifle (so far), it would say it's stiff and maybe heavy might be the right way to describe it

i'll try to check out the screw thing tonight, if not tonight tomorrow for sure.

because 3 guys i work with all have mosins, would it be worth it to try and barrow one of there stocks and shoot it to see if i get any different results?

all this talk of possiblly the stock being the issue and the action not sitting right, kinda makes me want to get a boyds stock and sporterize it, but then i know i'll have to put a little work in that stock as well to get it just right, not to mention i kinda want to keep it original but kinda want to put my own touch on it. not to mention the stock is beat up pretty good and i was going to sand and try to clean it up, but some parts are missing good bits of the stock so that might not be a good idea, probably more trouble than it's worth

SSgt. Murtaugh,

If there's some play in the tang, try putting a washer under it, between the receiver and the stock, with the rear screw passing through it. This may change your floating status, but I don't think it will be enough to make it shoot worse than it is, already. It will certainly tell you if that's part of the problem and it very well may be.

For the trigger, how far do you have to pull it back before it breaks? Also, does it feel "gritty", just hard to pull, or both? I have some pics that I can post, showing how to work on the sear spring that will likely help in this department, as well.

Also, PM me your address and I'll send you the rear barrel band you need. I have a couple extras and you need one more than I do!
wink.gif

i'll give the washer thing a try and see how that feels, as far as the trigger, it almost feels like i'm pulling it most of the way back before it breaks, it doesn't really feel gritty, more tough or hard to pull,

thanks for the offer on the barrel band, but i should have one soon, it's on the way