• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another Muzzle Brake thread

magtech

Ole one eye
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I'm looking to swap out my Muzzle brake on my 300 WM. I think it has a shrewd (holes all around the entire brake) and I would like to get something with just side porting. I would also like something that is two piece that I can line up (time) on my own. My barrel is currently threaded in 5/8-24.

I've read every muzzle brake thread and watch them everyday. I've searched all over but all the information people provide is different.

My main question is... With the new 2 piece ones, what are the best for a 300 WM? I use this rifle at the range, and hunting. Definitely not a packable rifle.
I feel like its all personal preference. I've read on here, but lately it seems everyone talks about 6mm variants. I read the precision rifle blog about the brakes... But whats a solid choice here.

Which is best self-timing for recoil/staying on target from Area 419, APA, PVA, MBM, and any other. I'm overwhelmed by choices and don't have $1k for experimenting with brakes.

I'm a fan of the APA series Gen II, which are all self timing. If money is a consideration and your willing to use crush washer(s) to time the brake, The SilencerCo ASR does the job as well.

I put a Heathen brake on my .300 WM. A bit spendy, but worth the cost.

Reactions: kthomas
I think they are all so good these days that it is really nitpicking. Pick one of the big name ones and you cant go wrong.

I put the CA titanium tunable brake on my fully dressed 9.5lb 300 win... great at recoil reduction but hard on blast...

I run the Insite Heathen as well as the MDT Elite brake. Both are easy to install and index and do a great job of reducing muzzle jump and recoil,

Self timing is a collar or nut that allows you to tighten down against the shoulder of the muzzle. Usually you have to use shims to get the timing right so the brake is in the correct location

Some but not all self-timing brakes do in fact require shims / crush washers, but they do not need the barrel or brake threads to be machined to a precise position so the brake stops in the proper aligned (timed) position.

my barrel came threaded from the mfg. So since it is probably not precise to a specific brake, I will probably not find a self timed one?

You will want to use a self-timed brake (very common). You need to know the thread pitch of your barrel and make sure the brake you are buying matches.

i have another kind of stupid question about muzzle brakes and no since it starting a new thread. 6mm creedmoor is a .243 so all 308 sized brakes should be what i am looking for correct? Or should i be looking for a more precisely drilled brake?

i have another kind of stupid question about muzzle brakes and no since it starting a new thread. 6mm creedmoor is a .243 so all 308 sized brakes should be what i am looking for correct? Or should i be looking for a more precisely drilled brake?

They make 6mm brakes. But yes you can use a .308 brake, it will still be effective.