• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Another n00b's first day at the long range - 800yrds

DirtyMuzzie

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
I picked up a RPR in .308win in August and we have a 100&200 yard range about 50 miles away. It took two weeks to arrive (I could have just bought it local), and I was stoked when I finally got my meat hooks on it!!! My lady was away, and it was FL downpour, so I hit the 25 yard indoor range in Fort Myers, which was lame, but had to shoot. Got her dialed in at a messily 25yards ?

Next trip out was the 100yard range, and it was pretty close to dead on at 100 yards. The third trip was at 200 yards, and I tried to dial it in, but it is hard to see holes at 200 yards without a spotting scope. For glass I have the Gen II Viper PST 5-25x50, and am quite happy with it. So at 200 yards? Did a lot of scope finger-blasting and honestly think it may have been dialed better before I was messing with it. Up to this point I was shooting PMC Bronze, 147gr FMJ-BT with an alleged muzzle velocity of 2,780 fps. I had put about 470 rounds of PMC through it before the long range, and meant to clean it, even brought a bore snake, but wanted to see how it performed dirty (muzzie

Now the range I go to just partnered with a retired police officer who owns the land (like 3 weeks ago), and long story short, I have a 1,300 yard range 40 miles away!!! For the 1,300 yard range (spoiler, didn't get to 1,000). We both agreed we'd be happy hitting 500 yards on the first day. I bought 200 rounds of Hornady 168gr Match BTHP rounds (MV 2,700 fps) from BulkAmmo dot com fwiw (2 day Fedex shipping and good prices imho). So after the safety chat, it starts raining, then pouring. For all 3 hours of shooting on/off heavy, but the best we got was light rain, so 100% humidity. It was also unusually cold here at a teeth-shattering 54F!

This range has burms and metal targets (shillouttes about 12-14"x2') at 50, 100, 200, and every hundred out to 1,300. Heaven. They take a max of 15 folks, and we were 12. I also had a $50 gift card for Bass Pro from Christmas from the fiancee's mom, so I put it towards a Caldwell Lead Sled 3, and got a 25lb weight for it. It is supposed to reduce recoil by 95%, and more importantly almost eliminate human error (and we had plenty to introduce, lol). Next time we will be using just the bipod, but for 1st day out, not sure if it was zeroed at 200 (it was not, haha), the sled mad perfect sense.

Okay, so we hit 50 yards bc it was there (had no paper to fine tune, but they let you put paper wherever you like, before starting, and they went cold once). We then went to 200 yards, as some guy with a 50 cal killed the 100 yard target, leaving just a popsicle stick, LOL Then we got dialed at 300 yards, and I went to skip 400, and go to the 500 yard target. It took a while to hit it (we both have lower end spotting scopes, but a couple range folks had excellent ones, spotted at the tail end of the day). It also took a while to hit bc the target at "500" was actually the 800 yard target! We skipped over 500 yards (glad we did) because n00bs.

So we were hitting that thing at 800 about 75% of the time at 800 yards in the rain. I thought that was pretty good, and we were both psyched. Fwiw, I had to aim a full 25 MOA up to hit it. I think it works out to an approximate drop of 16 2/3 feet. The dude spotting even mentioned, "man, you got that thing angled up pretty high." I was well aware of the better accuracy of the 6.5 creedmore, but I'm also starting to get into hunting (went once, looking forward to next time).

I've been looking into hand reloading, and may be able to pick up some equipment soon. I looked into it a couple years ago, but wasn't worth it for accuracy as where I lived prior I was limited to a 100 yard range. This is my 2nd rifle (own a Mini-14 Target, which is .223). I've been wanting to shoot at a place like this forever.

We also shot 100 rounds even, so half the supply (ammo was $1.25/cartridge delivered) over 3 hours, which is how long it took to shoot it. With having 0" at 200, and the Lead Sled moving back about an inch and off center every shot, it took a bit to center back on target, then adjust the (front) height of the Sled 25 MOA, which we had to zoom out for (can see 36 MOA with my recticle, but at 800 yards, you have to back off 25X just to see 25x.

We are planning another trip there soon, and I've since been reading up. Can the RPR in .308win hit a target at 1,300 yards? I read how the army considers the .308win round effective to 800 yards, while the USMC considers it effective to 1,000 yards. I'm think it can, but I dont feel like wasting 500 rounds trying, lol. I dont mind wasting 50 if that's what it takes. I've rambled on enough. Thanks for having me.

Cheers,
Doug

Attachments

• 20190127_170703.jpg
    20190127_170703.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20190123_222513.jpg
    20190123_222513.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190126_163959.jpg
    20190126_163959.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 98
Sounds like a good time at the range.

The question about .308 beyond 800 yards revolves around where the round transitions from supersonic to subsonic, but I am not the best guy to expound on it (I'm pretty much a noob myself).

Matt

Reactions: DirtyMuzzie
I wouldn’t recommend shooting in a led sled. Generally you won’t be using it off the range while hunting or competing. Try to manage the recoil yourself. Best way to learn and to become a better shooter is to let those “human errors” happen, and fix them by changing things.

Your .308 can hit at 1300 yards, repeatedly is more up to the shooter and your ammunition consistency. Transonic shooting can be tough.

Cool, 1300yd range, close by, double cool :)
2700, 168hpbt will be in the trans-sonic zone @ 1000, maybe a little more depending on your shooting altitude.
How much adjustment range does your scope have from your 200 yd zero?
For 1000yds you'll need about 37 MOA up from your 200 yd zero, and about 54 for 1200yd, and 64 for 1300 yds.
But, people do it.

It's well known that the .308 cannot hit past 800m. Just kidding, sounds like a great day. In all seriousness, the 308 is tougher shooting out that far. 308 is a pretty easy round at 600. You can see the steel splashes clearly, and wind isn't too much of a problem. Enjoy the journey.

22544993692_96c22c652f_o.jpg

Sounds like a great time! I would not use the lead sled for zeroing the rifle. It will give you a different point of impact, POI. It's fine for checking groups.

Switch to the FGMM 175 SMKs and 1000 becomes much more achievable. Hand loading for the RPR is easy in the 308 and you should have a great load with the 175s in no time. Feeling spry, go with the Berger 180 Juggs.

We had a great time, and were planning on not using the sled next time.

The scope has markings up to 36 MOA, and I could eyeball out to 40 MOA before running out of glass.

I'll have to get reading up in hand load section. Thanks for all the input!!

That pic is funny stuff, haha

Cheers,
Doug

Glad your outing went well. Fellas above gave you some good advice. As noted above, I would toss the sled. I would also suggest a 100 yard zero. And I would also try Federal Gold Medal Match with the 175 SMK offering. If it shoots well in your rifle, it’s hard to beat at $1/round and at your DA will get you out to 1K.

Glad your outing went well. Fellas above gave you some good advice. As noted above, I would toss the sled. I would also suggest a 100 yard zero. And I would also try Federal Gold Medal Match with the 175 SMK offering. If it shoots well in your rifle, it’s hard to beat at $1/round and at your DA will get you out to 1K.

Thank you! I couldn't figure out how to multi quote/ reply bc n00b. I was on car forums for years, but it's been a few years. Copy that on the sled and sighting in at 100yr.

Two or three other fellas suggested the Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. I'll pick some up for the time after next as I have 100 rounds of the Hornady Match 165gr to shoot.

Reactions: tnichols
Wow!!! It's creeping up on three years since this post!!! And sadly, the last time I went out at that distance :/. So, I got a new rifle, and want to get into ELR with my pal seriously and I realize I have to spend a GREAT deal of time learning. After looking at a dozen books on ELR, I bought "Precision Rifle Marksmanship" by some guy named Frank Galli, and after he mentioned this site several times, I thought "I think I may be on there," and indeed I am! 😆👍🏻 I don't think that is a coincidence, and I'm now in a much better position (financially and otherwise by the Grace of God) to dive into ELR.

I've since moved -I'm now about an hour from a 2,000-yard range (JTAC Ranch- FL) where my friend and I will be taking a couple of long range rifle classes in the near future. I've since sold the .308 RPR and picked up the .338 Lapua RPR. I haven't settled on a scope and bought the .338 what seems like "way back" in Feb. I've shot it a dozen times- sighting in some iron sights to go on a hunt- despite the muzzle break, it has some nice kick!

I almost bought the Vortex Razor HD 4.5x27x50, was told that was ample magnification, then heard maybe not for a mile. I've been more recently eyeballing the Leupold VX-6 7x42x56 as there's the 2,000 yard range an hour out. What sucks is you can't walk into "the scope store" and actually try out different ones before dropping a few G-bombs, lol. The goal is to dial in a mile and then further eventually, and start getting into competitive distance shooting. Lofty goals indeed, but I've never not met a goal I set for myself with proper effort.

Also, I was looking hard at reloading, and that was before the ammo shortage where my Hornady .308 match ammo was only $1/round. My .338 is now about $6 a trigger pull, and because my friend and I committed to doing this, we'll be out a couple hundred rounds with just the two upcoming training classes. Plus, with the added accuracy of reloads, it's a no-brainer. I'm looking for a good place to learn how to reload without spending 10,000 hours- I'm fine with investing in good equipment. Last I was looking there were no primers around? Still all kinds of shortages? I'm just looking to make enough ammo to practice ELR with my bro so I don't need mass production, just efficient and precise.

I understand I have a ton to learn, and I am grateful to be able to learn from folks with the knowledge, patience, and expertise I hope to acquire through time, hard work, discipline, and a hole in my wallet. Thanks for listening, and thanks in advance for advice, and God bless 🙏🏻👆🏻

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-132400_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-132400_Kindle.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
The vortex is absolutely enough magnification for a mile along with a decent amount of elevation.
In fact I’m often at 20-25 power on my 4.5- 29x scope and sometimes lower shooting well past a mile.
And I live in an area with relatively mild mirage.

That leupy vx-6 has a tragic amount of available elevation and is a terrible ELR option

Shooting a bit past 2500 with a 338NM and a Hensoldt 4x16
9001A86A-35B0-4ECD-9B10-A7F6052CE338.jpeg