• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

another New Guy from Colorado

CrankyOleGuy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2013
I have lurked on SH for years. I had another account years ago but I can't remember the user name. We deployed in 2006, hard drive ate itself, life took over and never had time to try to pull the old user name off the old trash hard drive.

We lived in Denver and the neighborhood started to go downhill. I retired in 2009 after getting back from Iraq. Had problems with a gang banger neighbor pulling a gun on another neighbor. When the police got there I told them just to bring a body bag with them if they had to come back. They didn't react well to that. I told the wife that we had to move before I wound up in prison. We moved into the mountains and haven't looked back.

I was a weapons instructor in the Army for 7 years. When I was stationed in Hawaii the unit sent me to the Marksmanship Training Unit and then gave me the "additional duty" of Range NCO. When I got to Colorado the unit had me run ranges for about 8 years. They kept trying to convince me to join the shooting team but I was usually up to my ass in alligators and didn't want to commit to something that I really didn't have time for.

I have a pretty basic set of weapons. I am a casual shooter and like archery. I have a pretty basic collection of guns. The wife loves shooting but she is happy shooting anything so she is happy with her two pistols. She puts the brakes on my "collecting". I have managed to put enough money away to get a couple of nice rifles and a shotgun to add to my two pistols. Right now our budget is tied up in an extra lot behind our main lot and doing a remodel. After all that settles down maybe we can think about more rifles or some more trick stuff for my bolt action. Thankfully we already have the stuff we need for reloading.

I don't say much unless I think I have something intelligent to say. There are people on this sight that have way more knowledge than I do so I am afraid I won't have much to add, except in the way of common sense. This is a situation where I will get more knowledge than I put in. I am good at shooting but the term "good" is relative. I have never shot competition and really don't have a desire to.

We are setting up a small range above the house on the other side of the hill. Then all we have to do is grab some guns and ammo, walk out and spend some time shooting (when the remodel allows). I am really looking forward to that.

I only really get cranky when things get stupid. Stupid makes me cranky fast. If someone doesn't want to know what I think then don't ask me. I am not gonna sugar coat it. The people that I have learned the most from are pretty blunt so that is the type of people I gravitate towards. There is a difference between blunt and degrading.

Thanks for having me.

I'm sure you'll fit in perfect, I will be transferring to the Denver area this spring, would also love to live near the mountains but need to be less then an hour drive time from the airport. Welome.