• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another new guy from NC

fredisdead

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2022
NC
Hey y'all,

Another North Carolinian here--this one from Raleigh. I'm also a FNG. I've taken a few classes at 37 PSR, under the tutelage of Pat (with ADD input from Frankie), and just spent a couple of days at Pigg River Precision, with Andy, from Rifleman's Path. I think a lot of folks know of Frankie and 37 PSR, so let me put in a word about Andy, and Rifleman's Path. That dude is solid! Truly a first-class instructor. I cannot recommend him highly enough. I feel he made me a much better shooter--and that was with me having him spend the majority of time, working with my wife (so I could try to suck her into LR shooting).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to y'all.

Last edited:
Andy is a really good friend of mine and like u said, an awesome guy. Welcome to the hide. What part if NC are you in?

Thanks! I'm in Raleigh.

I'm in greenville. You ain't far from Frontline Defense in warrenton. U should become a member and shoot some matches there. (You don't have to be a member to shoot the matches but you should still join up)

I'm in greenville. You ain't far from Frontline Defense in warrenton. U should become a member and shoot some matches there. (You don't have to be a member to shoot the matches but you should still join up)
Thanks! I've been meaning to check them out. Is it a good place to shoot? I'm not sure that I am match-ready, but would like some place to reach out--when I can afford the ammo to do so.

Thanks! I've been meaning to check them out. Is it a good place to shoot? I'm not sure that I am match-ready, but would like some place to reach out--when I can afford the ammo to do so.

It's a killer place to shoot. You can check it out as a guest on the weekends and shoot to 500. To shoot at the 1000 yard deck, you have to be a member and get "1000 yard qualified." Basically one of the staff will go with you and see that you have dope on your rifle and/or know how to gather dope and get somewhat close to the target. No biggie. Open 7 days a week and closed to the public on the weekdays so members have sole access on those days.

It's a killer place to shoot. You can check it out as a guest on the weekends and shoot to 500. To shoot at the 1000 yard deck, you have to be a member and get "1000 yard qualified." Basically one of the staff will go with you and see that you have dope on your rifle and/or know how to gather dope and get somewhat close to the target. No biggie. Open 7 days a week and closed to the public on the weekdays so members have sole access on those days.
Sounds great. I will have to check it out.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Also Woody's in New Hill is worth a look. Might be closer depending where in Raleigh you are. Woody's is opening a 1000 yard range this month and have 550 now and also a bunch of bays. Worth a look also.

Excellent--I'd not heard of that place. It looks to be a good 20 minutes closer to me than Frontline, so that's a plus for it. I appreciate you mentioning that one!

Reactions: Rob01
Colemans creek should be a few hours from you, amazing place to shoot.

Woodys was decent when I used to go, I liked his dmm matches more than the range.

Coleman’s is great but almost 2 hour drive. Was a member but there drive killed it for a primary range. Woody’s is better now than when we used to shoot matches there.

Reactions: 346ci
Coleman's does look like an awesome place! But, yeah, that drive would get old fast. I wish that they offered a limited membership, with, like, six visits per year.

Yeah it is awesome and that would be a good idea. Bring it up to them. Maybe they can make it work.

I figured it would be a long shot but worth trying.

Also Woody's in New Hill is worth a look. Might be closer depending where in Raleigh you are. Woody's is opening a 1000 yard range this month and have 550 now and also a bunch of bays. Worth a look also.
What’s the skinny on Woodys? Never been, and I don’t feel like driving all the way to frontline for 500 yards when The Range Complex is closer for me and has 600yds with no membership. So do I have to have a membership to shoot 1k at Woodys?

What’s the skinny on Woodys? Never been, and I don’t feel like driving all the way to frontline for 500 yards when The Range Complex is closer for me and has 600yds with no membership. So do I have to have a membership to shoot 1k at Woodys?
Yeah, apparently so--they say on their site that they aren't open to the public and, basically, don't call asking, unless you're looking for membership . :)

Reactions: roostercogburn98
I've not heard of The Range Complex

Yup you need a membership to Woody's for any shooting.

Wasn't the Range Complex supposed to be running .22 PRS style matches? Or did they and stop? I thought I heard of a club down that way that was doing them.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Yup you need a membership to Woody's for any shooting.

Wasn't the Range Complex supposed to be running .22 PRS style matches? Or did they and stop? I thought I heard of a club down that way that was doing them.
They were supposed to but never did as far as I know. Had signed up for one, but they canceled, I’ve not heard of another attempt

I've not heard of The Range Complex
It’s in Autryville, they have open shoot days on Saturday and Sunday if no scheduled events take the place. Pay by the hour, has pistol bay, 100 yard, and kd 200-600yd

Very interesting info for me as I am almost complete with the move to near Fuquay. It's been crazy tried to get relocated from PA, so haven't had much trigger time since last fall. Looking forward to getting out soon...but maybe when it cools down a bit LOL.

Very interesting info for me as I am almost complete with the move to near Fuquay. It's been crazy tried to get relocated from PA, so haven't had much trigger time since last fall. Looking forward to getting out soon...but maybe when it cools down a bit LOL.

Where near Fuquay? Down more towards Lillington myself.

Just east, outside of Willow Spring. We looked at a development between Angier and Lillington, was a little too far out in the boonies for us.

Reactions: Rob01
LOL Boonies. Not really much boonies around anymore with the way everything is popping up. Fuquay is an easy drive when we feel like heading to the big city. LOL Go in to Planet Fitness a few times a week and of course Walmart. LOL

I think I know the development you are talking about. Right off 401?

Couldn't tell ya, LOL....was over a year ago and we had just started looking around. Fuquay=big city??? :p

It is compared to Lillington. LOL When you get moved in and set up I can take you out to Woody's if you wanted. It's a $40 guest fee. There are a few others from the site that shoot there and we meet up sometimes and shoot.

Reactions: Nics00ss
Frontline is worth the drive... rated in the top 20 best ranges in the country on a couple different websites. Paul has done an amazing job out there!

Paul does have a great range and I make the drive for matches but for an every day range an hour and 45 minutes is a little too far.