• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Another new guy

.308mk4

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Warrenville , SC , USA
Hello , I fond this site because I am seeking advise , help , ect...
I have never shot past 100yds until today. I was waiting until I came up with a good load and could shoot an inch group or less before I proceeded past 100yds. I shot a nice ten shot group (not my best). So I set the target up at 200 yds. First shot was about a mildot low. Ok , so I aimed with the first dot below crosshairs and it was a little high and to the right. to make a long story short after three shots none even hit the target or stand.WTF. I want to learn windage and all but jees , I didn't think it would blow it off a foot or two at 200 yds. I checked my scope and with my bore sighter when I got home and everything was fine. Rifle in question is a 700 varmint 26" bl in the wonderful .308 , steel one piece mount with a simmonds 6.5x20x50. Load is LCM brass neck sized .336 bushing , 40.5 grs imr4895 , cci 200 , smk 168 , ogive is 2.280 , my rifle likes the bullet set at 2.270. I have had no type of training , just trial and error.I guess my question is , will the sun and wind affect the bullet that much at 200yds?? Sorry about the long post.

Re: Another new guy

I dont think it could be the wind unless is was like 30mph or something. Check and make sure you rings and the base are tightened down.

It could be your bullets. My dad when he first stared to reload loaded me some hunting bullets for my .243win. 3 shots would hit the bullseye and then 2 would be hit 3 inches the right or something like that. I have learned from his mistakes. And now we take the time to prep our brass weigh our powder to the 00.x, try and get all our loads oal as close as possible. And this has made a huge difference. Im not saying that it the bullets but it might be.

The other thing it might be is the scope. My dad has a simmons on his deer rifle and it shots ok group but i would not target shoot with it. I would say get a better scope if this problem does not fix its self. I have not had many high end scopes the best scope i have ever owned is a bushnell 3200 elite 10x. And this is a huge improvement from the tasco and simmons tree. Trust me if its in the budget its worth the moeny to get the best glass you can buy.

Try some factory loads. FGMM 168's and take your loading out of the equation. The drop should be about 1.5 to 2 inch's on a 100 yd zero and unless its really windy (30+) full value, you should be hitting. Good Luck.

Thanks for replying. The first thing I checked was the rings and mount. I do put a lot of time into my case prep , my m1a taught me to be precise and consistent. I have two single stage presses dedicated to this rifle. The weather just sucked today. When I left the house it was sunny. It ended cold , wet , and windy. I have no idea on judging wind. But it started gusting pretty hard. Is there a standard for adjusting. Like if the wind is blowing at 30mph perpendicular to me , when shooting a .308 168 gr bullet it will move about 2" right. A book for beginners maybe? When I got this rifle dead on at 100 and could hit what I pointed it at , it felt good , like I accomplished something. Today it got discouraging. Tomorrow this range is closed and I have to work the next eight. So some reading and learning will have to be done. So how far would you compensate for 30mph winds blowing perpendicular to you on a cloudy day with a 168smk traveling 2600fps?