• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another new TAB GEAR product.

Tburkes

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2002
Bandera, Texas
If some of you are like me your eyes aren't what they used to be in your younger days. I used to have a card printed with my come ups on the inside of my rear scope cap. This presents a few problems in itself.

One, you have to break your check weld and come off the glass to see your dope, so you've totally lost site of your target momentarily.

Two, there's not a whole lot of room on the inside of a scope cap to put usable information on.

Three, like I said before, as our eyes get older we have a harder and harder time focusing on objects that are close up.

We've come up with a product that installs on the inside of your sling right underneath the front sling swivel that has plenty of room to put lots of information on. We're calling it the TAB GEAR Dope Thing, DT for short.

There are several advantages to the DT,

First, you never have to break your cheek weld to take your eye away from the site picture. All you have to do is switch focus from the reticle to the DT to access the information needed.

Second, there's plenty of room to add data. You have plenty of room to put dope from 100 to 1000 yards as well as wind tables on a single card.

Third, say you're shooting a course of fire that won't allow you time to dial elevation, something similar to a Moving Chaos drill down at Rifles Only. You can take out the 100 to 1000 yard dope card and replace it with the card that you've written your holds on for the stage of fire. Now all you have to do as you're transitioning from one target to the other is glance at your TAB GEAR DT to find out what the next hold will be.

Fourth, it's easy for older eyes, at least my eyes, to focus on the information that is out near the front of the rifle.

Fifth, it's easy to install, affordable, and works anywhere. This works just as good in the hunting fields as it does in a match setting.

The TAB GEAR DT is made out of the same webbing as all of our slings. The clear window is made of the same heavy duty material used in convertible top windows, and the elastic in the back holds the DT securely in place.

Each TAB GEAR DT comes with one unit that goes on your sling and two plastic inserts. The inserts are white and have no writing on them, this is to allow user preference in setting up your own charts. I use a fine tip black Sharpie on mine. Since you have two of the plastic inserts you have four surfaces to put usable information on.

They will cost $14.00 each and will come in our standard colors of OD Green, Coyote Brown, and Black.

Plenty of inventory will be delivered to Rifles Only within the next two weeks so feel free to call Lisa then to place your order.

As always thank you for looking at our new products.

a75c212a.jpg

56ae763d.jpg

08bd62b9.jpg

9e986114.jpg

Re: Another new TAB GEAR product.

Sweet!

Yeah, Tony, growing old sucks. I'm with you on that one.
laugh.gif

Nice, I don't have the eye issues yet but I like the idea of seeing the dope without breaking my cheek weld. Good idea Tony!

Tony -

Very nice, as usual. Will the inserts be available to buy as well?

Thanks,
JP

Nice. Looks like a winner. And is that the full AX rifle or just the chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Colonel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And is that the full AX rifle or just the chassis? </div></div>

That is the real deal.

Another great idea Tony! Something so simple, yet remedies a major problem.

Great idea!

For a while after I couldn't easily read what I'd written down in the scope cap, I memorized them.....

Eyesight is not the only faculty to suffer with age, now I can't remember them either.

Now.....err......what were we discussing?

Is that hook-and-loop material on the side of the AX magazine...?

Yes sir, that's industrial hook on the mag and industrial loop up on the forearm of the rifle. It's so when you have to make a transition during a match with the mag out I can just pull the mag out and stick it to the rifle while I'm changing position. It works pretty good.

luvn' it!

edited to add; I'd go with DT for "Dope Tab", your next thing will not be so easy to name and you'll might have to go with "thing"!!

Do the inserts come with the grid lines already on them, or at least blank on one side so we can set it up to our own needs?

Thank you guys.

Jim, both inserts will be completely blank. You can configure all four writing surfaces any way you want them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can configure all four writing surfaces any way you want them. </div></div> Perfect. Thanks for making top notch gear. Do you think it interferes if you need to shoot with the sling? By the looks of it I would think the material will be stiff but it may still have enough flex to somewhat conform to the back of your hand. Either way, it won't doesn't effect sling tension and support, just wondering if it will make an already uncomfortable position a little more so.

There's plenty of flex that it won't interfere with your shooting position Jim.

Thanks furtaker.

I got one of these a few weeks ago. I installed it, and finally for a range day to test it out a bit.

First off, it's well made, and the insert doesn't appear to be something easily lost or damaged. It fits perfectly on the front of my sling.

It is completely unobtrusive. It doesn't get in the way of anything. Right now it fits the sling nice and snugly, so it doesn't slip around. It is very easy to see from most shooting positions with my non-scope eye. I looped up in a sitting position, and it didn't get in the way of anything at all.

There's only room for me to put my elevation info on it, since it's fairly thin, and I wanted to write large enough that I could see it easily with 40-year-old eyeballs. If it were any wider, it might snag or slip around, so I like the width as-is. I had my wife write the comeups on it in sharpie so I didn't have to deal with trying to read my terrible handwriting.

Forgot to take pics on the range yesterday, but it looks like the pictures already posted. I'm going to a 6-day school in the next few months where I will drag it around and test the durability a little more.

I'll be buying a few more to put on more rifles.

Only suggestion is make the inserts a light tan color maybe instead of white. I just have an aversion to white, and think a light tan would still be readable.

I decided to post a few pics.

2011-08-15174234.jpg

2011-08-15174148.jpg

2011-08-15174202.jpg

As you can see, it is easy to see. My eyes pick it up just fine unless I'm slung up (in which case, it is against my arm). I rarely sling up, so I don't see this as an issue.

I ordered one from Steve today.
I was thinking about a green Rite n Rain sheet trimmed to fit myself.
Steve, if you see this, when will the Accu-Shot AICS spigot mount be back in stock, got the Atlas on the way.

Many thanks.

As much as I'd love to supply every color that guys want it would be unrealistic for me to to do so for a product that retails for $14.00

The one I've been using for the last year and a half had a piece of white paper cut out to fit in the pocket.

I never thought about the white being a bid deal when I purchases the plastic to make the inserts for these.

Like Steve, and Edwin907, said it's easy for the customer to cut his own inserts out of what ever he wants. You can then laminate them, or just stick them in plain, and they'll work just fine.

I do recommend that guys use pencil on the white inserts that we supply. The pencil won't run, and it's easy to erase should you want to change the information on the insert.

Thank you for all of the positive feed back we've received on our Dope Thing.

Sorry to bring back the dead. Not really.
I'm looking for a couple more of these dope things for my slings.
I can't seem to find any in stock.