• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

[Another] Newbie seeking advice on economic starter rifle. 11-VT?

deadly_punk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2012
KY, USA
I am an avid -if young- shooter and hunter, but I'm relatively new to the precision rifle game. I've had the opportunity to shoot with and train with some excellent BR shooters over the past few years, but haven't had cash available to invest in my own rifle. I'm currently vacationing in Afghanistan with the US Army and will return to the US sometime after the start of the new year. Looking to spend some of my deployment pay on a present from me to me. (I've already warned my wife.)

At that time I'm looking to buy an entry level, bolt-action rifle capable of reasonable accuracy (1 MOA out to 500) with capacity to be upgraded later on in life as I have resources to invest. Further details:

Rifle alone, I'm looking to spend <$700 OTD. Rings and optics already on hand.

I plan on sticking with .308 Win chambering. It will be a long time before I out-grow the round. I already reload and have relatively a lot of .308 components on hand.

I'm willing to buy a rifle that needs an upgraded stock, but I'd be thrilled if I could at least start working with it before upgrading, as that may have to wait for further funds to become available.

Bells and whistles aren't my style (Over-sized bolt handle and DBM fall in this category for me). All I really want is a usable trigger (I'm satisfied with AccuTrigger on my rimfire rig) and heavy/varmint contour barrel on a reputable action. I am biased towards Savage, but open to hearing other options.

Looking hard @ the Sav 11VT from DSG. GunsAmmo_VarmintRifles - Dick's Sporting Goods

Other options that might fit the bill at the price point?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have already learned a lot by reading on this site.

-Deadly.

Welcome, and stay safe over there.

The time-honored interwebs "intro precision 308" is a Remington 700 AAC-SD in a Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist stock. I did this myself recently and was pleased...except for the whole 308 part...which is neither here nor there.

But I'm also a professed Savage fanboy.

The Savage 11VT from Dick's Sporting Goods is a pretty good option, but if you can find one I think the 10TR is a better value as it comes with an Accustock at a similar or even slightly lower price point; both of these rifles have factory DBM. The 11 Hog Hunter is also a good value if you don't mind iron sights (or removing them) and a blind magazine, but you WILL need to upgrade the stock and your best "budget" option right now IMO is a Bell & Carlson A2 Medalist or a Choate tactical.

I might wait around for the Mossberg MVP in 308. It will run about $600, come with a free float stock (that is stiff enough to use with a bipod), a heavy barrel, and accept DPMS/PMAG mags all the way from 5-20 rounds.

I shot my buddies 223 with my 77gr hand loads off of a bench and it cut the center out of the target. Cheap walmart ammo shot 1 1/2" or so groups @ 100yd.

Just a thought...

I always recommend buying used when starting out or on a budget. You might luck into a 700p or sendero for $700 if you look around. A savage 10fp or the model with the Mcmillan stock would work well also. Look for a reputable seller giving a good accuracy report and an honest round count.

[Another] Newbie seeking advice on economic starter rifle. 11-VT?

Still new myself, but I think the Tikka T3 was good purchase right in that price range. A nice action (I tried out Savage, Remington, and Howa and I think the Tikka is superior off the shelf); really snappy adjustable trigger; stock seemed a bit better than the Savage to me; and it shoots sub-MOA even when I shoot. Comes with cheap scope rings (usually) an an integral rail also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep on eye on the used market, but I haven't been too successful finding a heavy-barreled anything used...most LGS owners seem to think that if it has a heavy barrel then it must be worth 30% more than comparable models.

I'll also take a hard look at the Tikka T3. Several people have mentioned it as a good starter. I had a Tikka 595 once, but it wouldn't shoot.

Revived this thread to propose a budget build for your consideration/critique.

Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter - 439.00 on Buds.
EGW 20 MOA Pic rail - 40.00
Boyds Tacticool laminate Stock - 109.00
Ross Schuler Brake - 45.00 (unsure of actual price)
Butler Creek Scope Caps - 20.00
Limb Saver Grind-to-fit butt pad 40.00 (Might not need this w/ brake...might take butt pad off original stock and retrofit to the Tacticool.)

Total cost: $711.00

I'll be putting a Mueller APT scope in Millet rings on this rifle bringing total cost to -if my math is correct- about $900.

Additional expenses would include bipod, and sling, but I swap those things between different rifles so I won't include that in the cost of this "build".

What do ya'll think? Will this rifle likely meet my expectations and get the job done? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this build. Feel free to recommend any changes.

Best regards.

Deadly.