• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another OCW Guidance Thread

PKT1106

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Wheeling, WV
Hey Guys-

Had a chance to get out yesterday with a .308 load to test OCW. The following was shot with a Savage 10FP 1-10" Twist:

The grid is 1/2" squares done in AutoCAD. They were two separate targets, so I had to cut the sheets to get them both on the printer. Top to bottom is 45gr, 46gr, 43gr, 44gr of BL-C(2).

I called the flyer on the 45gr group and new I pulled it right as I shot it.

I am going to retry with 44gr, 44.3gr, 44.6gr and 44.9gr. Look like the right direction?

New to this, so for learning purposes I'd offer it seems 43gr & 45gr were the groups with least vertical stringing. Dunno what distance you shot, may need more distance to sort it out. But I'd probably try around 43-43.5 AND around 44.5-45. In my view either could be "best".

Just a swag lol. We'll see what others say.

I'm probably wrong, so take it for what you paid for it...

I thought an OCW test should involve more, smaller increments of charge weight - say 43.0, 43.3, 43.6, 43.9 up to 45.x and just one load at each. So you would shoot each round at the same POA, and see where you get a node - say maybe 44.2, 44.5 and 44.8. these three being much closer in vertical than the others. From there load up a couple each at .1 increments, and see what groups. then take the best, say 44.6, and load some for a group.