• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Another Okinawa Veteran...

Parallax

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
Waushara County, Wisconsin
Among other stuff, this USMC issued fighting knife was brought home after WW2 by a relative. It's a USN Mk 2 Combat Knife made by Cammillus. The owner was pretty disappointed when he got this one just before Okinawa. He had his original issue Kabar made Mark 2,USMC marked knife and leather sheath, but had lost it in action earlier. The Navy USN marked Mk2 knives were issued as replacements for lost knives and as original issue to late War Marines. Not all Kabar knives carried by Marines were in fact Kabar made...

Re: Another Okinawa Veteran...

Cool pic, I have an original USMC marked Ka-Bar w/ the leather sheath (that was dipped in shellac, I have been told that was common for the time to help prevent rot) that was carried in the Pacific (Iwo Jima was one of the stops). I am very proud of that knife, Ill NEVER part with it. I got it when I was about 10 years old from the Marine who carried it. My only dream as long as I can remember was to become a Marine, and I am.

Semper FI, great knife!

I think the issue was the Marine love affair with the Ka-Bar knives... I imagine that enlisting pre-1941 and being issued a knife that you carried for almost 5 years makes you pretty attached... especially when it was stamped USMC and your new one is USN <grin>.

And legend aside... all the Mk2 knives, irregardless of maker were essentially identical in specification. They are all good knives...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... especially when it was stamped USMC and your new one is USN <grin>.</div></div>

I get it- and would probably be a annoyed as well. KaBar is 'The Knife' after all. Still, could be worse.
smile.gif