• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Another One Bites The Dust

fxdrider

Deplorable
Minuteman
  • Jan 3, 2014
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    Not sure what to make of this.
    Gander Outdoors, the last local big box store in the Fredericksburg, VA area that sells guns (and hunting and fishing gear), as of Friday, 9/10 no longer sells guns, and hunting, and fishing gear. They’re going to sell, from now on, only RV gear, camping gear, and kayaking/boating gear. (So – I’m still a customer.
    😉
    )
    Our local Dick’s ALSO doesn’t sell guns anymore. Or hunting gear. Or fishing gear. A few Wal-Mart stores in the area sell some very basic, low-end hunting and fishing supplies, and low-end firearms. But nothing anyone who is serious about their sport would entertain. So now, a serious fisherman or hunter in the Fredericksburg, VA area has to drive the 50 minutes-to-an-hour drive to either Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or Green Top to find big-box selection for firearms, hunting gear and fishing tackle. What the actual..(you know)..? The few small LGS's in the area will of course, improve their gun sales volume. But as far as fishing tackle and hunting gear, the local hunter sportsman has no where locally to turn.

To me, this seems like the ‘metrosexualizing’ of the Piedmont. Re-making Fredericksburg in the image of Northern Virginia. (
    🤮
    ) Stores that formerly were central suppliers of goods for these manly pursuits in this area are now positioning themselves as suppliers of goods for people who “love the outdoors – but without the violence.” No one has publicly admitted that policy yet, but the trend is clear. Now, I can almost understand this trend when it comes to hunting – many of the millennials and gen-X-ers that head up and staff the corporate retailers are freaked out by the killing of Bambi’s dad. It’s not your fault – you watched Disney movies and believed that shit to be reality. I pity your gullibility, but don’t blame you.

BUT FISHING!?!?!? Fishing!?!?!? Really? What more traditional, wholesome, harmless (except to the fish) outdoor activity is there for fathers/mothers to pass on to and bond with their sons/daughters than fishing? What, is it not profitable!? BULL-_____!! Judging by the crowds I’ve seen in these stores and their checkout lines it HAS to be profitable. So, what then? Is it that businesses are shying away from anything that “might offend”?(Good luck with that) If so, that’s a very sad state of affairs for our culture. I grew up in an era(not so long ago, BTW) where many fathers(and some mothers) taught their children things like gun safety, marksmanship, outdoorsmanship, fishing, hunting, camping, etc. We learned to respect and value these things. I know there’s a very large segment of our population that STILL enjoys the outdoors. I experience this personally and frequently when I’m enjoying my own outdoor pursuits. There is no shortage of Americans (both legacy and recent arrivals) who draw their primary life enjoyment from the outdoors. Many of the skills that we learn in our various pursuits could help us survive in emergency, SHTF situations, be they instigated by nature or human miscreance. We mustn’t let these traditions fade away. The skills promoted are far too valuable.

Thankfully, (largely due to ‘Capitalism’ - strangely unpopular with today’s youth), the empty space left by the metrosexualization of Gander Outdoors and Dick's will likely soon be filled by other enterprising entrepreneurs. That’s one of the amazing things about our culture in America, the capitalist culture. Where there’s a need, there’s a profit to be made – and it won’t be long until someone comes along to fill that need and make bank off the mistakes of others. And when they do…I’ll be first in line.

Not sure what to make of this.
    Gander Outdoors, the last local big box store in the Fredericksburg, VA area that sells guns (and hunting and fishing gear), as of Friday, 9/10 no longer sells guns, and hunting, and fishing gear. They’re going to sell, from now on, only RV gear, camping gear, and kayaking/boating gear. (So – I’m still a customer.
    😉
    )

Our local Dick’s ALSO doesn’t sell guns anymore. Or hunting gear. Or fishing gear. A few Wal-Mart stores in the area sell some very basic, low-end hunting and fishing supplies, and low-end firearms. But nothing anyone who is serious about their sport would entertain. So now, a serious fisherman or hunter in the Fredericksburg, VA area has to drive the 50 minutes-to-an-hour drive to either Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or Green Top to find big-box selection for firearms, hunting gear and fishing tackle. What the actual..(you know)..? The few small LGS's in the area will of course, improve their gun sales volume. But as far as fishing tackle and hunting gear, the local hunter sportsman has no where locally to turn.

To me, this seems like the ‘metrosexualizing’ of the Piedmont. Re-making Fredericksburg in the image of Northern Virginia. (
    🤮
    ) Stores that formerly were central suppliers of goods for these manly pursuits in this area are now positioning themselves as suppliers of goods for people who “love the outdoors – but without the violence.” No one has publicly admitted that policy yet, but the trend is clear. Now, I can almost understand this trend when it comes to hunting – many of the millennials and gen-X-ers that head up and staff the corporate retailers are freaked out by the killing of Bambi’s dad. It’s not your fault – you watched Disney movies and believed that shit to be reality. I pity your gullibility, but don’t blame you.

BUT FISHING!?!?!? Fishing!?!?!? Really? What more traditional, wholesome, harmless (except to the fish) outdoor activity is there for fathers/mothers to pass on to and bond with their sons/daughters than fishing? What, is it not profitable!? BULL-_____!! Judging by the crowds I’ve seen in these stores and their checkout lines it HAS to be profitable. So, what then? Is it that businesses are shying away from anything that “might offend”?(Good luck with that) If so, that’s a very sad state of affairs for our culture. I grew up in an era(not so long ago, BTW) where many fathers(and some mothers) taught their children things like gun safety, marksmanship, outdoorsmanship, fishing, hunting, camping, etc. We learned to respect and value these things. I know there’s a very large segment of our population that STILL enjoys the outdoors. I experience this personally and frequently when I’m enjoying my own outdoor pursuits. There is no shortage of Americans (both legacy and recent arrivals) who draw their primary life enjoyment from the outdoors. Many of the skills that we learn in our various pursuits could help us survive in emergency, SHTF situations, be they instigated by nature or human miscreance. We mustn’t let these traditions fade away. The skills promoted are far too valuable.

Thankfully, (largely due to ‘Capitalism’ - strangely unpopular with today’s youth), the empty space left by the metrosexualization of Gander Outdoors and Dick's will likely soon be filled by other enterprising entrepreneurs. That’s one of the amazing things about our culture in America, the capitalist culture. Where there’s a need, there’s a profit to be made – and it won’t be long until someone comes along to fill that need and make bank off the mistakes of others. And when they do…I’ll be first in line.

Hi,

Stopped reading right there in bold. There is a reason they keep indirectly violating your rights without any remorse.

Sincerely,
    Theis

It's not just Hunting and Fishing related. Pay attention to the hardware stores, the hobby shops and even the Hallmark Stores.... The shift is to buying online. The small stores can't be paying $15 / hour for some kid to be behind the counter. There have been more small Mom and Pop shops closing than many realize. It is heading towards the grocery stores next... A one hour drive to buy groceries will become routine for those in the suburbs and bedroom communities.

Stores have to offer more than just sales. An example:

Hi,

Stopped reading right there in bold. There is a reason they keep indirectly violating your rights without any remorse.

Sincerely,
    Theis
    I understand what you mean. I kind of have to remain a customer. I own an RV, and they're the only major store in the region for RV equipment and supplies. Sort of a captive audience.

Last edited:
    • Sad
    Reactions: Jscb1b
    I use a few online stores. Eurooptic and crosscreek. I've tried my LGS, but they don't seem to interested in so much as lowering the price and charge for multitude of fees. Now, the new shop (a branch of an existing shop) may be more willing; but seeing their ammo prices (like PMC 147g 308 for 45 bucks/20 kind of soured me. At least they had some; but not for me. Interested in a Ruger AR Pistol 300 BLK, but I doubt they can get them even though they're a Ruger dealer. The largest Ruger dealer in the S.E. is here in the county; but they really turn me off in the one time I tried to do a deal.

So Dicks, Gander (always sky high on guns) are out. Academy now gets my business in town or at least a look-see.

They tried that shit here last year I believe. They didn’t last long after that if I’m thinking of the same store. Fuckem

Reactions: Snuby642
    I understand what you mean. I kind of have to remain a customer. I own an RV, and they're the only major store in the region for RV equipment and supplies. Sort of a captive audience.
    If youre in Fredericksburg try Corbin's RV. I know one of the owners, Janice, gave me lots of help with my wolfdogs.
    Corbin's RV
    4.3 (52) · RV repair shop
    51.9 mi · Fredericksburg, VA

Fuck Gander, go down to Greentop, it may be a 45 minute drive but theyve got more guns than God, lots of accessories, and they know what theyre talking about. I know there are a couple of tactical stores in your area as well. Try SSG Tactical:
    SSG TACTICAL
    3.5 (174) · Gun shop
    610 Westwood Office Park · In Stylin Studios

When you read this original post you can say to yourself. The OP says, I voted for Joe Biden but I still think I have the right to bear arms. I'm fucking hoping Joe let's me keep a couple of Fudd guns. No matter how horrible voting for Joe Biden has turned out...............................................I'd vote for him again.

Honestly, fuck Gander Mountain, left them go under if you care about the 2nd amendment. Oh, and support your LGS.

When you read this original post you can say to yourself. The OP says, I voted for Joe Biden but I still think I have the right to bear arms. I'm fucking hoping Joe let's me keep a couple of Fudd guns. No matter how horrible voting for Joe Biden has turned out...............................................I'd vote for him again.

Honestly, fuck Gander Mountain, left them go under if you care about the 2nd amendment. Oh, and support your LGS.
    In fairness he says he still shops there because he has an RV and they sell RV stuff. I'd still boycott them personally.

Reactions: BytorJr
    In fairness he says he still shops there because he has an RV and they sell RV stuff. I'd still boycott them personally.

I have an RV and when the CEO of Camping World said, "Fuck Trump voters they are not welcome at any Camping World stores." I never spent another dime in his fucking stores and never will. If Camping World was the only place on earth to sell RV's I'd fucking tent camp til I died.

But that's just me. Fuck Levi's and their antigun bullshit, when they went crazy and started sending corporate money to antigun group I switched to Carhart and never looked back, if Carhart turns I'll find a tailor to make my clothes.

Have not stepped foot, or spent a penny, in a Dicks since they sold out years ago. I used to buy workout/exercise clothes, camping supplies, shoes, etc. - in addition to a massive amount of (fly) fishing equipment/gear and, of course, shooting supplies.

I have an RV and when the CEO of Camping World said, "Fuck Trump voters they are not welcome at any Camping World stores." I never spent another dime in his fucking stores and never will.
    Oh wow. I wasn't aware of that. Well, if their CEO doesn't want my business, who am I to argue.

Last edited:
    it can't be that much of a lose for them seeing no one has all that much supply wise to sell and refilling those supplies is only going to get harder and harder .

it can't be that much of a lose for them seeing no one has all that much supply wise to sell and refilling those supplies is only going to get harder and harder .
    Greentop has 'tons of guns', pretty much anything you want. Remingtons are almost impossible to find but that because of the bankruptcy/sell off. Theyve even got ammo though prices are still high.

Greentop has 'tons of guns', pretty much anything you want. Remingtons are almost impossible to find but that because of the bankruptcy/sell off. Theyve even got ammo though prices are still high.
    I just bought a brand new(new production) 870 Express from Green Top in August. Just happened to stop by and they had one on the shelf. I'd been keeping an eye out for one, so I said, "I'll take it". They had several in the back still in boxes.

Not sure what you mean. Nowhere in my post did I say anything about voting for Biden. I was shopping at a store where I've shopped for decades - that I had no idea was turning anti-second amendment. I was just disappointed they'd gone this route.
    But I definitely agree with your last line - "fuck Gander Mountain". Particularly since through this thread I found out how their CEO feels about his customers that don't agree with him politically. I feel bad for the local hunters and fisherman who relied on them for not just guns and archery, but clothing, footwear, gear, and tackle. Gotta settle for Wally world or drive a bit for their stuff now.

I just bought a brand new(new production) 870 Express from Green Top in August. Just happened to stop by and they had one on the shelf. I'd been keeping an eye out for one, so I said, "I'll take it". They had several in the back still in boxes.
    THeyre making shotguns but havent started production of rifles yet, at least thatw what Greentop told me. I did pick up a nice used Rem 5R in 223 with a Timeny trigger. Sweet piece of machinery.

Reactions: fxdrider
    I have an RV and when the CEO of Camping World said, "Fuck Trump voters they are not welcome at any Camping World stores." I never spent another dime in his fucking stores and never will

You left out the part where that same CEO is the Gander CEO too. Important for the OP to understand. Gander, Dick's, Camping World, they all hate you if you are a gun owner or if you are not a useful idiot communist tool.

Reactions: deersniper
    You left out the part where that same CEO is the Gander CEO too. Important for the OP to understand. Gander, Dick's, Camping World, they all hate you if you are a gun owner or if you are not a useful idiot communist tool.

Who is he?

Remember your rights are not disappearing. They are being taken away by people with names, addresses, and families.

local dicks in my area pulled all the guns and ammo. Been a bit now. But they still stay busy as hell with all the antigun people still going in

Gun owners always seem to carry lube. This is why everyone loves to bend us over. Fucking hell, what a bunch of little girls..... scratch that. Kpop girls are feared as a democratic more than us......

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    Oh wow. I wasn't aware of that. Well, if their CEO doesn't want my business, who am I to argue.

He was one of many people who decided Trump was a "racist" for not towing the leftist line at a riot. Trump called for everyone engaged in violence to be held accountable. Lemonis and other leftist CEO's demanded violent Antifa thugs be praised for starting riots and attacking bystanders while anyone defending themselves from assaults be branded a "white supremist" or racist.

" Lemonis, who is also the CEO of Camping World, said, “There's no doubt that there is probably not many consumers in this country today that are in favor of what has been said in the last couple days and if they are, quite frankly, don't shop at my business.”

Camping World has spend years trying to reframe his hatred of Trump supporters as some kind of back handed support of Trump supporters. They spend millions trying to delete the actual video and audio of his comments from the internet. When former NASCAR great Tweeted and canceled his new RV, Camping World kissed his ass and gave him the RV for free to take down the Tweet.

The OP mentioned "Dicks" . I've never been there. Not once. I always thought the name was for a Gay Bar, so I avoided the place.
    Serious post: Sports Authority and another one I don't remember the name of, went bankrupt, or at least shut down all the stores here, many years ago. Then Dicks moved in. It was the only game in town for "athletic" and "sporting good" supplies, like shooting and fishing gear, under-armor, running shoes, etc. They built a Bass Pro an hour away. Cabala's came years later, and was an hour away in the opposite direction.

Fun name to poke fun at. Especially now they are just that.

take your ass to the big green top. that place is awesome. it's in Richmond, VA. as long as you're within driving distance of that, don't bitch lol

take your ass to the big green top. that place is awesome. it's in Richmond, VA. as long as you're within driving distance of that, don't bitch lol
    Green Top's my favorite store. Has been since the early '90's. I visit whenever I have an excuse to be down that way. Several times over the years I've come home with yet another item I need room in the safe for. ;) Including my first "precision" bolt-action, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308.
    Even my wife has bought guns there. Guess I'll be finding even more excuses to be down that way in the future.

Reactions: DukeGSP
    it's hands down the best "outdoor" store i've ever walked into. wish we had one here in GA.

Gander employees are generally idiots when i go there. they know nothing about the guns they are selling and im sure there is a certain amount of training these kids who could care less. IE.waste money. Online shopping is the way, but oh...probably.... about 30-40 years from now the next big sales innovation will be a place that you can actually go to and look at the items you are considering buying. Moreso, you will be able to get an idea of size, feel, and color without to send it back and forth through the mail several times. it will be called a shoppe or store, then another 30-40 years from then, some brilliant genius of a person waaaay ahead of their time will get the idea to put all these shoppe and stores together under one giant roof like bazaar or perhaps a mall. whats new is old and whats old is new kinda thing. Yes online shopping is great and is here to stay but eventually people will get tired of just click and point and will want to go and do something. shopping.

Gander employees are generally idiots when i go there. they know nothing about the guns they are selling and im sure there is a certain amount of training these kids who could care less. IE.waste money. Online shopping is the way, but oh...probably.... about 30-40 years from now the next big sales innovation will be a place that you can actually go to and look at the items you are considering buying. Moreso, you will be able to get an idea of size, feel, and color without to send it back and forth through the mail several times. it will be called a shoppe or store, then another 30-40 years from then, some brilliant genius of a person waaaay ahead of their time will get the idea to put all these shoppe and stores together under one giant roof like bazaar or perhaps a mall. whats new is old and whats old is new kinda thing. Yes online shopping is great and is here to stay but eventually people will get tired of just click and point and will want to go and do something. shopping.
    As the saying goes, "There's nothing new under the sun"

As a kid my first stop at Sears, Caldor or Service Merchandise, all general consumer Dept stores, was the gun counter, just to look at the guns in the rack.

The Ka-Bar I carried in the USMC was bought at the local Service Merchandise gun counter a year before I enlisted.

Present Amerika, accept for the landscape, has no resemblance to the America II grew up in.

• Sad
    Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    Green Top's my favorite store. Has been since the early '90's. I visit whenever I have an excuse to be down that way. Several times over the years I've come home with yet another item I need room in the safe for. ;) Including my first "precision" bolt-action, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308.
    Even my wife has bought guns there. Guess I'll be finding even more excuses to be down that way in the future.
    An interesting tidbit about Greentop.

Geentop is about 5 minutes off I 95 in Ashland Virginia, just a 6 hour drive from NYC. Back in the 80's when you didnt need to be from the sane state, no universal background check to purchase a gun, crack was getting really popular, the blacks would hop in their cars, run down to Greentop, buy a trunk full of handguns, and be back in the city that night. They could sell all the handguns and make another trip in a couple of days. We, Virginia, got to be known as 'The Gun State' in New York. That was one of the reason regulations on hand gun purchases started to be limited to one a month, or so.

Now we've got Northam and universal background checks. You fellow Virginians get out in November and vote the Dim's out. the alternative is McAwful.

As a kid my first stop at Sears, Caldor or Service Merchandise, all general consumer Dept stores, was the gun counter, just to look at the guns in the rack.

The Ka-Bar I carried in the USMC was bought at the local Service Merchandise gun counter a year before I enlisted.

Present Amerika, accept for the landscape, has no resemblance to the America II grew up in.
    Same here bud. Iy first two handguns were a Colt 1911 and a Colt Python. slid the cash across the counter, got the pistols with no kind of ATF horseshit, a hand written receipt with out a name, and walked away.

I remember all of those. Sears actually had guns made for their brand. And my first hunting rifle - a Marlin 336 (.30-30) was bought at Service Merchandise.

Reactions: Maggot
    I remember all of those. Sears actually had guns made for their brand. And my first hunting rifle - a Marlin 336 (.30-30) was bought at Service Merchandise.
    A lot of them were endorsed by Ted Williams.

Greentop is now in the building that Gander Mountain built. Everybody thought GM was going to snuff out Greentop but GT was having none of it. This is aging especially well after reading this post.

OP, Dances sporting goods is just a little further south in Colonial Heights. GT is still better though.

Speaking of the old days, I can remember buying a pistol in Houston, handing it to the pilot on a Southwest plane headed for Midland, and having the stewardess give it back to me as I was walking off. Texas was the land of the free in the 80's. Now if anyone wanted to know how old I really am, I can remember the days before the first plane hijackers when you could carry whatever you wanted on an airplane and no one looked at you sideways...

And now Greentop runs a shooting range across the street from bass pro.