• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Another Optics Decision Question

Done Vida

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2012
Tennessee
I know these kind of questions get posted all the time but I haven't seen many topics about this particular one. First off I have been shopping and researching a lot but I have no in hands experience with any of these brands or models. My question is what is the best (for the money) scope option with the most precise/repeatable dead nuts mil turrets and reticle? I would like it to be as precise as possible for my budget but also durable. This option over anything else is what I am basing my first long range scope purchase on. My list of specifications for what I would like is below in order of importance. Thanks for sharing any experience.

-$1500 or less
-Mil/Mil FFP
-Durable precise turrets and reticle
-Quality of glass
-Durability
-Max 16x magnification
-Zero Stop

Also, since I'm newer and have a scope question I feel I can't post this with out saying this will be going on a Rem. 700 308 :)

Last edited:
I've got a few Monarchs. When I posted, about a "same value" scope, for my "Bud's" the group came back to a Sightron 8-32. Seems the Sightron, has more adjustment. They're $836, from Long Range Hunting. I've got a few Night Force scopes, up to 12-42, which I "bought here", for $1200, and put on a Remmy 700. It "looks a "bit big", on the gun, and is really just a bench rest scope. The 8-32 NF, is smaller. You might find one, on the Scopes for sale thread. Check Europtics, next. The Younger guys can get by, with the 15's, but I'm an "old faRT", AND NEED THE HIGHER POWER, TO HIT THE BARN.You "stated" that you don't want more than a 16. I found, with the 32's, that you won't need a spotting scope, and you can see the wings, on a fly, at 100. You can shoot, all day, at 8 power, and go higher, when ya need it. You can get a Nikon Buckmasters 4-16, for around 400 bucks. I own 3. Good scope, ,but not a NF. Having a really Nice piece of glass, is rewarding. Having a good piece of glass, and more money, in the bank, is wise.

Last edited:
The woods are full of offerings that meet your criteria now. Vortex Viper PST, weaver, Swfa SS line, Bushnell HDMR, you can even pick up a used Vortex Razor for a little above your limit. I've got one of those I'm considering selling. Definately look for mil/mil, zero stop, first focal plane. Good luck with your choice.

The woods are full of offerings that meet your criteria now. Vortex Viper PST, weaver, Swfa SS line, Bushnell HDMR, you can even pick up a used Vortex Razor for a little above your limit. I've got one of those I'm considering selling. Definately look for mil/mil, zero stop, first focal plane. Good luck with your choice.

What this guys says. As well this is close to your budget and has super nice glass. Otherwise the SSHD will have great glass.
IOR 3-18x42 SH MX-6 Tactical 35mm Rifle Scope

NightForce NXS 3.5X22X56 NPR2 or NPR1, the 5.5 is a good one also. the 1,500.00 budget is doable.

Thanks for the replies guys. So from the 800 weaver to the used razor (more than double the price) I can expect the same accuracy and reliability in the turrets and reticle? Is the price jump just for glass? Or is the only noticeable difference in turret quality and internals on the above $2000 offerings?

I don't have first hand experience with alot of these, but like you I did tons of research when I started to realize I needed something other than the hunting scopes I had. This is what I've absorbed from guys that know alot more that me. You are going to pay for three things; quality/repeatability/durability, glass quality, and features (zero stop, tem mil revs, etc). All of these scopes will have a combination of these things, for instance, the $900 dollar vortex pst has ffp, zero stop, and matching turrets/ reticle. So does the razor HD but with HD glass quality, and better, more refined features. The tracking should be good on most examples, but how easily will you be able to bash them into non-repeatabilty? So to answer your question; yes and yes.